Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anybody excited to get a flu?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that a Flu acronym does not seem to be targeted at an english speaking audience . Go Pentax marketing.
That aside, the camera looks fantastic.

10-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Na, I've been vaccinated.
10-07-2013, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
I am going to go out on a limb and say that a Flu acronym does not seem to be targeted at an english speaking audience . Go Pentax marketing.
That aside, the camera looks fantastic.
Lol. I had never heard of the tech before, but apparently it's been around for a while.

It would have been nice if the K-3 had built-in wi-fi (AKA actually rolling out a feature before the competition), but I don't think we can complain about $99 wireless tethering.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-07-2013, 07:20 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter

Built-in WiFi might be more elegant, but this solution essentially creates two camera models, one with and one without WiFi. And assuming the $99 price tag, allows the base camera to be sold $99 cheaper to those who don't need WiFi. You can pick your numbers on those who want WiFI but even if it's 50/50 that makes this a better deal for those who are price conscious.

And as a marketing / sales tactic "This model is cheaper and you can add the WiFi later if you want". Preserves options and takes away buyer objections.

It also allows the 'hardware' to be upgraded by getting a new card if they come out with something better in a year or so.

10-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

On a thread somewhere last week maybe there was a lot of speculation about building a 'modular' camera. I don't think anyone mentioned WiFi in that context but essentially that's what we have. Just like you used to add a WiFi or cellular card to your laptop.....
10-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like the modularity they offer. It is one of the most important rules of engineering. Should the GPS unit break, you can simply pull out the card, without crippling the rest of your camera. Same goes for the GPS unit and any other accessories they will offer.
10-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
" jatrax
Site Supporter

On a thread somewhere last week maybe there was a lot of speculation about building a 'modular' camera. I don't think anyone mentioned WiFi in that context but essentially that's what we have. Just like you used to add a WiFi or cellular card to your laptop....

"

Well, Ricoh would be THE company to do it, given they built the GXR.
10-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm interested in getting the plain-old FLU, mainly because up here we get SARS and H1N1!

Actually, the remote live-view is what is most interesting to me, since I sometimes do this:

But I'll gladly take the rest of the wireless controls (since the FLU is essentially tethering).
Really sucks when I put the K-5 up the pole and forget to turn on AEB. Instead of the "ka-chick-chick-chick-chick..." I only hear a single "ka-chick" (and in my head I go "wah-waaah")

10-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It would have been nice if the K-3 had built-in wi-fi (AKA actually rolling out a feature before the competition)
The Canon 6D appears to have wi-fi and GPS
EOS 6D Canon Australia

What we now need is a software upgrade for the K-5 series to enable the FLU
10-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Trust me.. Coming from a FluTrek user, that card simply SUCK... LoL! No offense.. But yes...
I'm too lazy to list out it's cons....

I'm wondering why aren't they pairing up with Toshiba for their much better FlashAir Wifi Card...
Or even EyeFi... Sigh....

And their support literally is dead... LOL! I hope they have improved, and considerably at that....

Last edited by SyncGuy; 10-07-2013 at 09:46 PM.
10-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
And their support literally is dead... LOL! I hope they have improved, and considerably at that....
From what it seems, the FLU card that's up for the K-3 is ...according to press releases, "specified" for Pentax; so some things might be different compared to the ones you tested before (or at least I hope!)
10-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Actually it is. And it's not a Pentax innovation...

Flucard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The name "Flucard" was purportedly chosen as Tan believes that the adoption of the Flucard would spread like a contagious flu, eventually displacing the standard SD card."
10-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
From what it seems, the FLU card that's up for the K-3 is ...according to press releases, "specified" for Pentax; so some things might be different compared to the ones you tested before (or at least I hope!)
Yes... I pray for that too... Though i'm not a fanboy of any brand, rather, i'm a fanboy for practicality, i would recommend the EyeFi card instead simply becoz of one main reason:

-Preview images rendered on your device are just thumbnails for most cards out there. Meaning, if you like that given shot, you would have to hit "Download" and then a download bar would start, showing the progress..

-Whereas for the EyeFi card, the preview image rendered is ALREADY the full-sized image. Therefore, when you hit "Save Image" it's just that, done.. And speed-wise for rendering an image shot is the same but there are users who states that the EyeFi card is actually much faster.

Think about it; double work or single work..

Lastly, between Toshiba FlashAir and FluCard, here's the main practical difference between them both:

-FluCard: Up to 8 users may connect to view and download the image within.
-FlashAir: Up to ?12 users may connect to view and download the image within.

Sounds awesome right? Shoot and share with your friends around you instantly?
Here's the catch though:

FluCard REQUIRES the user to have the app on their device but FlashAir allows a remote webpage that can be entered via any device's browser..

Therefore, for the FluCard, try explaining to each of the 8 users how it functions, then explain to them to search and download the FluCard app on their device from their respective app store, download the app, and then explain that they will need to activate their wifi and connect it to the device SSID and then explain how to use the app and then download.

Oh wait... It's just for that one time in life... LoL!

Flashair?
Activate device wifi and connect to Flashair card, launch device browser, go to http://flashair/... Done.... LOL!

Last edited by SyncGuy; 10-08-2013 at 12:46 AM.
10-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #14

If you like, you can use every wifi card. You can get your FlashAir or EyeFi if it fits your needs, for flickr access and nsa support that will be good enough.

But with the flu-card you get the possibility to thether te camera. ANd therefore a specifc app on your computer or smartphone may be better than a simple http access. I wouldn't like if someone else tether my camera
10-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm definitely interested in the FLU Card... the wifi live-view capabilities would make it perfect for macro photography; far more convenient than a tilt/swivel screen. Also useful for self portraits Might even work well for crimping shots!