Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
and have less need of a fast AF then an accurate AF system
And the SAFOX X is currently the most accurate among APS-C cameras. I personally never had issues with focus points size, but if it's a problem for you and your technique it looks like the SAFOX XI resolves it completely.

10-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
and lets hope the new auto tracking works better than the k-5 for subjects moving toward you!
Well, looking at the cyclist coming towards the camera, you may notice the last frame has lost focus.

At least they haven't tried to hide it.

My K-5 wouldn't have caught more than 1 frame of this, so it looks to be improved somewhat.

AB
10-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Could SAFOX 11 improve the focus speed for SDM and DC lenses?
10-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #34
Site Supporter

I wonder about that too. Like most of the new features, we'll have to wait and see.

I think it's more important to catch and lock focus with certainty.

If it can do this, it will feel like the speed has been increased.

Fingers crossed.

10-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Could SAFOX 11 improve the focus speed for SDM and DC lenses?
Probably less hesitation/more decisive lock, but unless SAFOX XI includes a bump in voltage (that the SDM/DC lenses can handle), it shouldn't be any faster than normal in terms of motor speed.
10-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
I think it's more important to catch and lock focus with certainty.
But it is really good with SAFOX X already. I think they concentrated more on AF-C than on AF-S, where is not too much to space to improve over K-5II anyway. And no, I don't think they can speed up the hybrid SDM more - the lens motor is a bottleneck in this case.
10-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Pentax has added a custom setting that allows you to set the camera to more reliably keep track of a subject even in the event of an obstruction between the camera and the subject. Obviously, this is only possible because of the new SAFOX 11 AF system and Real-Time Scene Analysis System powered by the 86,000 pixel RGB metering sensor.

PENTAX K-3 ?AF hold setting? - YouTube

More videos demonstrating the new technologies in the K-3 can be found in the pentaxplus YouTube channel. Read all about these technologies here.

This feature is a big deal to me. I'm a sports photographer for my college, and assuming Ricoh implemented this correctly, this will be a real godsend.

--DragonLord

The only thing I got out of the video is that I remembered that
Before I destroyed my knees, I was going to buy the same brand of bike.
10-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
But it is really good with SAFOX X already. I think they concentrated more on AF-C than on AF-S, where is not too much to space to improve over K-5II anyway. And no, I don't think they can speed up the hybrid SDM more - the lens motor is a bottleneck in this case.
That's good to know, coming from a K-5 here. You'd still hope for improvement, surely.

As I posted above (#34), the cyclist's face is not in focus in the last frame. What can we conclude from that?

Once again, my K-5 would be lucky to get even 1 focussed frame there.

AB

10-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Their comment could mean that the AF speed isn't where it should be, or it could be a last straw they are clinging to in order to give the nod to the Nikon D7100 over the K-3.

I've given up on DPReview as a reliable source of information after they failed to address the many obvious questions regarding their K-5 II vs D7000 scores. They scored the Nikon D7000 with better build quality than the Pentax K-5 II and much higher performance (despite its miniature buffer size compared to the K-5 II).

You may want to look at the inexplicable scores for the Nikon D7000 and the Pentax K-5 II yourself.

There was quite a discussion back then with DPReview staff involved, with the staff picking up on spelling mistakes and other small errors, correcting them in the review, but not properly responding to the fundamental questions about the inexplicable scoring. Based on my suggestion, DPReview at least added "built-in sensor shift shake reduction feature" as a "pro" in their summary list of the K-5 II review (imaging that not being there in the first place!) but ignored many other important questions and never explained their odd -- to say the least -- scoring.

If Imaging-Resource mentioned a lack of AF speed, I'd be listening. With DPReview it could be anything from dilettantism to unashamed brand favouritism.
Apparently, they were using a pre-production model on early firmware. The production model on finalized firmware is supposed to show the substantial improvement in AF. I'm done reading previews

Chris