Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The 'quiet shutters' are actually just normal actuations; instead of:
mirror up / aperture act. / shutter / mirror down; you get:
mirror up / aperture act. / shutter > release button > shutter return / mirror down.

No reason why Ricoh couldn't implement it, except if the stuff is already baked into some read-only chip in the shutter assembly.

10-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Because the Pentax shutter release is quiet already in its normal operating mode, and doesn't need such tricks?
10-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Because the Pentax shutter release is quiet already in its normal operating mode, and doesn't need such tricks?
I can guarantee that the Quiet mode seems quieter. And that's on a 4-year-old D5000.
But then, you can only do about 1 fps (except for the new D610).
10-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...I do have to admit that I have an innate talent for working with animals - which gives me a bit of an edge over other wildlife photographers.
And you are not afraid to tell us either. I am in awe of you.
Geez, I might as well pack up and go home because I'll never be able to match your talent.

Greetings

10-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I can guarantee that the Quiet mode seems quieter. And that's on a 4-year-old D5000.
But then, you can only do about 1 fps (except for the new D610).
I'm sure it does; but my point was that's a trick which is needed because the normal shutter release is louder; not that's uneffective.
With the K-5's quieter shutter release, such a mode is not really necessary.
10-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm sure it does; but my point was that's a trick which is needed because the normal shutter release is louder; not that's uneffective.
With the K-5's quieter shutter release, such a mode is not really necessary.
Well, with the K-5's shutter doing these tricks - imagine the silence!
10-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I know lots of folks around here dislike Thom Hogan, but he has long called Pentax the most complete APS-C system out there. And he constantly bashes Nikon for ignoring that segment. He does talk a lot more about Nikon, but that is because that is his main system and what he grew up with.

...and over here people are saying high-end APS is dead and without an FF body Pentax is doomed...
10-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #68
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax is doomed...
Pentax is doomed

Steve

10-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #69
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm more worried about Nikon these days.
I've not been this optimistic in a very long time. Glad I didn't switch brands.
10-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #70
rjm
Forum Member

Thom Hogan, and his fans, views things though a narrow prism. Specifically, the needs and wants of wildlife photographers mostly.

For one thing, they cannot accept that Nikon killed the "high-end" APSC camera. They wait in perpetuity for a D400 that will never come because Nikon has no plans to go there. The D90 was upgraded to the D7000 line (with AI coupling ring), and the D700 downgraded to the D600. This, in Nikon's view, fills the gap. There are some, very vocal, people for whom this is a poor product layout : neither the D7000 nor the D600 are as rugged or as fast (or as deep a buffer) as the D300. Nikon has no APSC "action cam" like the 7D for example. So Thom is correct to say that the K-3 is what his people wanted in the Nikon D400.

However, I think Nikon called it correctly: given the choice a APSC dSLR and a full frame dSLR at the same price, most people are going to opt for full frame even if it means taking a hit in performance. The D400 would have had to cost $2000. There isn't the market for that camera at that price like there was when the D200, D300 were released.

The cynical side of me also notes that Nikon has moved to ever-cheaper construction in ever more-expensive camera lines. "profit margins" being the operating principle here, clearly.

Will Nikonians pining for a D400 move to Pentax for the K-3? Honestly, I doubt it.
10-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote
Will Nikonians pining for a D400 move to Pentax for the K-3? Honestly, I doubt it.
"Nikonians" suggests people wedded to the brand, so, like you, I can't see them changing to Pentax. However, photographers needing a fast, rugged APS-C camera just might.
10-17-2013, 03:43 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
"Nikonians" suggests people wedded to the brand, so, like you, I can't see them changing to Pentax. However, photographers needing a fast, rugged APS-C camera just might.
I think Pentax's best chance is as you say...with people looking for the advantages of an APS-C system. Maybe they're moving up from a bridge camera and they're wanting the best camera for the price and aren't that concerned about format. Or maybe size and durability are important to them. But I can't see a Nikon guy, who is looking for his next upgrade, selling his lenses and other gear in order to switch to the K3. Some will, but probably not that many.
10-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #73
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote
Thom Hogan, and his fans, views things though a narrow prism. Specifically, the needs and wants of wildlife photographers mostly.

For one thing, they cannot accept that Nikon killed the "high-end" APSC camera. They wait in perpetuity for a D400 that will never come because Nikon has no plans to go there. The D90 was upgraded to the D7000 line (with AI coupling ring), and the D700 downgraded to the D600. This, in Nikon's view, fills the gap. There are some, very vocal, people for whom this is a poor product layout : neither the D7000 nor the D600 are as rugged or as fast (or as deep a buffer) as the D300. Nikon has no APSC "action cam" like the 7D for example. So Thom is correct to say that the K-3 is what his people wanted in the Nikon D400.

However, I think Nikon called it correctly: given the choice a APSC dSLR and a full frame dSLR at the same price, most people are going to opt for full frame even if it means taking a hit in performance. The D400 would have had to cost $2000. There isn't the market for that camera at that price like there was when the D200, D300 were released.

The cynical side of me also notes that Nikon has moved to ever-cheaper construction in ever more-expensive camera lines. "profit margins" being the operating principle here, clearly.

I don't know that I buy the death of APS-C (and by definition then, four thirds as well) markets. Canon and Nikon have a vested interest in crippling APS-C and telling users that they shouldn't settle for anything below full frame. You can't tell me that they don't make a lot more money off of full frame users than off of D3200 users. I just wonder how many photographers would have stuck with APS-C if the D7100 had specs comparable to the D800, with the exception of the sensor (and a faster frame rate) and if Nikon had a full line of upper end APS-C glass (16-50 f2.8; 50-150 f2.8; DA limited equivalents, but a stop faster). I think it would be a lot more appealing than many give it credit for.

I also think you over value the cost of the D400. It would have sold for 1500 dollars -- pretty close to the D600 price -- over it in specs, but under it in sensor. There are plenty of folks who would have chosen a D400 over a D600 in such a situation.
10-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Nikonians" suggests people wedded to the brand
hmm does that make me a photographic polygamist?
10-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #75
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
hmm does that make me a photographic polygamist?
Dunno about that - but I'm a Pentaxikonian, I guess