Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thom Hogan on the K-3

Meanwhile, Meet the Pentax D400 | byThom | Thom Hogan

Him calling the K-3 the 'Pentax D400' is really saying something IMO.

10-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #2

Nice write-up.
10-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I thought the Nikon 7100 was meant to be the successor of D300/D300s series.
10-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't understand his comment about bracketing steps. The k-5 does bracketing in up to 5 images in 1 or 2 stops intervals if you want. Maybe I'm missing something?

10-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't understand his comment about bracketing steps. The k-5 does bracketing in up to 5 images in 1 or 2 stops intervals if you want. Maybe I'm missing something?
Yeah, I stared at that sentence for a while, too. I think he's talking about metering steps, not just bracketing...as in; adjusting the shutter or aperture in full stops, as an option. His repeated use of "bracketing" begs for someone to email him and explain they are different. (Or maybe to tell him Pentax DSLRs have been able to bracket 1 or 2 stops apart since the K10D, maybe earlier!)
10-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I know lots of folks around here dislike Thom Hogan, but he has long called Pentax the most complete APS-C system out there. And he constantly bashes Nikon for ignoring that segment. He does talk a lot more about Nikon, but that is because that is his main system and what he grew up with.
10-08-2013, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I wrote to him about that. He says the press information he got only mentions 1/2 and 1/3 EV. Maybe he just misunderstood, but he told me he'd try to get confirmation from Ricoh.

10-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I wrote to him about that. He says the press information he got only mentions 1/2 and 1/3 EV. Maybe he just misunderstood, but he told me he'd try to get confirmation from Ricoh.
+1 I looked on his site to find a contact link but could not see it. I don't go there often so I'm not too familiar with how his site works though. Thanks for writing him.
10-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Any positive publicity is good, from whatever source. and actually, because it's coming from a die-hard Nikon user, it's even more satisfying. Yes, he's using the Pentax APS-C lens/camera line-up as an example to chide Nikon for ignoring that high end APS-C segment, but I also like that he articulated the reasons for NOT going full frame for some users:

"The lack of top end DX lenses doesn't give anyone any confidence that Nikon actually understands the high-end DX user. So let me put it as plainly as I can: people want a top DX (or as in the case of the Pentax K-3, APS) system for a reason: everything scales. Size, weight, and price. Sure, the D800 is a great camera. Now stick the f/2.8 or f/4 zooms on it and add up the size, weight, and price. You've left a lot of folk out of the market for a top-end, serious camera. I know a lot of college sports shooters and other pros who are using DX for those reasons: size, weight, and price. They can't afford a full out FX system, nor do they want to travel with one given the airline carry-on hassle we get these days. Put another way, Nikon either doesn't see a whole group of users, or has chosen to ignore them for a long while. "
10-08-2013, 09:56 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

The K-3 is THE only pro level aps-c body right now. The question is, does pentax have the pro level lenses to match? I contend they do not until they address the SDM issue. If they already have, then they need something more official than some second hand wishy washy leak.
10-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I know lots of folks around here dislike Thom Hogan, but he has long called Pentax the most complete APS-C system out there. And he constantly bashes Nikon for ignoring that segment. He does talk a lot more about Nikon, but that is because that is his main system and what he grew up with.
Could he be the equivalent ricelow on the Nikon camp?
10-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Me, Too!

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I wrote also, citing the specs from the US.Ricoh-Imaging K-3 spec page, where the bracketing and EV steps are laid out very clearly;
" Exposure Bracketing yes (2, 3 or 5 frames up to +/- 2 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 steps)".
Hope he corrects it!
Ron
10-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

"There's also no built-in WiFi or EyeFi card support (only a strange new proprietary Flucard support; why the camera makers keep re-inventing the wheel I don't know, and most of the time they make the wheel less round when they do so)."

Eyefi card support, I believe, is supported, as they are available in the K-50?
10-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Could he be the equivalent ricelow on the Nikon camp?
I don't think so. I've followed Thom for some years, and he usually makes a lot of sense. He clearly favours Nikon, but criticises them when he thinks they are doing something wrong. RH just seems to like to bash Pentax. I don't know what his agenda is.

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
" Exposure Bracketing yes (2, 3 or 5 frames up to +/- 2 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 steps)".
To be fair, that could be misinterpreted to read that the bracketing is only available in 1/3 or 1/2 steps. OTOH, to achieve +/- 2 EV in 5 steps would necessitate at least a full stop increment. Likewise, 3 steps would need a 2 EV step. I assume that the K-3 will be similar to the K-5 in this respect.
10-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The K-3 is THE only pro level aps-c body right now. The question is, does pentax have the pro level lenses to match? I contend they do not until they address the SDM issue. If they already have, then they need something more official than some second hand wishy washy leak.
I think we need to see how real IQ and AF results before we declare the K-3 the only pro level APS-c body. I hope they turn out to be pro level. The K-5 AF is not pro level