Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D-BG5 (K-3 grip) now listed at B&H (for less!)

B&H has just added the K-3 grip to their inventory. Turns out it's already gotten a price drop: $199 vs the MSRP of $229.

Pentax D-BG5 BATTERY GRIP 38799 B&H Photo Video

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #2

Does the grip fit K5?
10-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
Does the grip fit K5?
No you'll need the BG4. Though similar in style the K-3 appears to have quite a different foot print.
10-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #4

Thanks JeremytheIndian, they look very similar.

11-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a K-5 with a D-BG4 and a K-3 with a D-BG5. The 2 battery grips would be entirely interchangeable if it wasn't for an arbitrary change in the size of the pins that go into the bottom of the camera body. I could probably make them interchangeable by just widening the proper holes in each camera body, but I don't want to do that to either of my silver cameras.

Looks to me like just a big cash-in by forcing people to buy a new camera grip unnecessarily. Pentax had the right idea by keeping the D-BG4 grip comatible with the K-7/K-5/K-5ii(s). But apparently Ricoh has decided to enter the "forced hardware upgrade" game.

*KA-CHING*!

11-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I have a K-5 with a D-BG4 and a K-3 with a D-BG5. The 2 battery grips would be entirely interchangeable if it wasn't for an arbitrary change in the size of the pins that go into the bottom of the camera body. I could probably make them interchangeable by just widening the proper holes in each camera body, but I don't want to do that to either of my silver cameras.
There is an alternative to modifying the camera, by modifying the grip as explained here.
11-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Looks to me like just a big cash-in
They also probably want to stay one-step in front of the grip counterfeiters (for a little while, at least).

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for K-3 compatible aftermarket grips to start appearing on eBay.
11-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster

Looks to me like just a big cash-in by forcing people to buy a new camera grip unnecessarily. Pentax had the right idea by keeping the D-BG4 grip comatible with the K-7/K-5/K-5ii(s). But apparently Ricoh has decided to enter the "forced hardware upgrade" game.

*KA-CHING*!
At photoplus pentax said that they had to change it to comply with some fcc stuff. Now sure how much truth there is to that statement unless the k3 shutter requires more power than before.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

To be fair, there is a very slight depression near the front of the D-BG5 to accommodate the slightly larger hump under the camera's lens mount. I have no way to know if that hump is actually necessary due to the new AF sensor, or if could've been shaped to accommodate the old battery grip. But in my testing, it doesn't really affect the mounting of the battery grip noticeably at all. That's what the pins are for.
12-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #10

B&H currently has the D-BG5 on back order, as does Pentax, Adorama and Amazon. Non of these sites show any discount from the MSRP, they are identical to the price Pentax is showing on their website, $229.