Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Banned

Focus Peaking/Focus Peaking During Video?

Maybe I missed it, but does the K-3 have focus peaking and if so, does it work during video?

10-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Maybe I missed it, but does the K-3 have focus peaking and if so, does it work during video?
Yes and yes

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes and yes
Oh, hello! It does? That's fantastic!
10-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Oh, hello! It does? That's fantastic!
Yup, it's actually going to be a good HDSLR, I'd say. But we'll have to wait until the in-depth review to come up with a definitive conclusion.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Regardless, that's one very good news. It's something that would have been fantastic in the K-01, but they never gave it to us!
10-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Regardless, that's one very good news. It's something that would have been fantastic in the K-01, but they never gave it to us!
Let's face it, the hardware wasn't up to the task back then. But now it is

Adam

10-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wow, focus peaking in video!
If I was really into video, I probably would prefer focus peaking over AF in video.
10-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #8

Nice, I wish my K-5 had it as well. The only thing (I think) Pentax could do in the "imrpoving focus options" part, is to add a split-prism in the camera straight from the factory. Having the ability to use hundreds of old, manual focus lens is great. Being able to precisely focus them (now) on live view, is great as well. Now, it'd be perfect to have 100% accurate fast manual focus through the viewfinder.

Keep the good work, Pentax. And I hope you get your Pentax branding back soon

10-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #9

How about AF during video? (Yeah I know that pros only use MF)

LeGu
10-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

In the menu there also seems to be a "HDR Movie" option that is greyed out - do you have any information about this?
10-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
How about AF during video? (Yeah I know that pros only use MF)

LeGu
I'd like to know that too. K-30 seems to allow AF as necessary during video (according to imaging-resource) so i assume that K-3 will too and if so, that will be fine for me. I wouldn't trust continuous AF to work well in video, even if it had it.
10-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
I'd like to know that too. K-30 seems to allow AF as necessary during video (according to imaging-resource) so i assume that K-3 will too and if so, that will be fine for me. I wouldn't trust continuous AF to work well in video, even if it had it.
I've tried AF in video on the K-30, just out of curiosity because I don't really use video. Although it does autofocus I'm not sure how useful it actually is. As soon as you press the AF button to autofocus it initially throws the image completely autofocus and then hunts a bit to gain focus. Even if the image is already almost in focus for some reason the AF motor always seems to initially shoot off in the opposite direction it needs to focus and then sort of realises it should be going the other way. It would probably make more sense to just stop recording, focus and then restart recording rather than have a few seconds of blurred video while it tries to focus. It also seems to need a lot of light to focus properly when shooting video, much much more than it needs even for CDAF in live view.

For some reason while the autofocus is fantastic in live view, and even in video mode while not shooting then as soon as you start recording it becomes a different camera with the autofocus reminding me of the first digital camera I ever owned some 15 years ago. Perhaps it is just a silly firmware issue which will be corrected.