Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would pre-order but I am a little concerned about the first manufacturing run having potential defects - the stained sensor issues that various brands have had over the years being an obvious one.

10-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My k5 developed the mirror-flip-syndrome this summer, so I _almost_ bought a k5ii - but I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted the k5ii or the k5iis. Mostly, I wanted to upgrade the AF since I shoot a lot of fast-moving wildlife. I wanted the extra sharpness from the k5iis, but was afraid of feather-moire. Then wex.co.uk offered a warranty repair for my k5, even though the warranty expired just before I sent it in for repair - great service.

I still wanted a second house though, and better AF.

Then k3 rumours began to emerge, and I managed to check my finger on the mouse button hovering over the shopping cart link... September... October... and WOW! There it was: More cropping friendly, better AF and a dual sd card slot, an important detail for scatter brained people like myself!

BUT I had only just talked my husband into the k5ii buying decision back when the mirror-flip happened. Then he was relieved that I got the warranty repair so we saved the money for actually important stuff - and now, how do I explain that I need an even MORE expensive camera, although the other one works fine?

I have a solution: He is a bird watcher too, but not a photographer. I take him bird watching, particularly for snipes and other nervous birds with long flight distances. Then I shoot a LOT of unsharp photos, and everytime I show him how I missed the focus, I make sure to add "Oh, the K3 would have been able to nail the focus! Sorry we can't tell if that was a meadow pipit or a tawny pipit!"

I expect he will be ripe before christmas - particularly if the price drops just a bit before then...

Does anyone think there might be Black Friday deals on the k3? Or is it too close to the release date?
10-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #63
Veteran Member

The theory is that I will wait for some full reviews and then decide whether to go for it.
That is the intention, but what will probably happen in practice is that as soon as there is one available on eBay from an EU location I will get it right away..
10-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Wont be buying until I return to the UK next year! Also want to see a few reviews/tests.

Cheers, Steve

10-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #65
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Of course now Sony is about to debut Full Frame mirror less....So that adds to choices.
Seems like an E-Mount too that is already very adaptable to all kinds of old glass as well.

Sometimes I feel tech moves a bit too fast. (Not Complaining Tho)
10-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #66
Pentaxian

To be honest I'm still tempted to save a little cash and go for a K5II's.

Cheers, Steve