Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
I won't pre-order, plainly because I can't afford it at the moment, however I am keenly interested. Since I have to wait on funds anyway, I can wait and check real world reviews. ISO performance, DR, actual video functionality, all of that sort of stuff. I've managed to hold off stepping up to a K-30 or 50 despite them being really quite good cameras, but with the video capabilities of the 3, it is harder to ignore. But I'm forced to wait regardless.

10-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
As usual, I will wait for full reviews ... hands-on from real users, and decide once all of the little annoyances of the new product have been ironed out.

JP
QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
I'm going to wait. Most first generation gadgets have some minor issues that can't be fixed by firmware updates. I'm going to wait till they iron out initial kinks and polish it a little. So I'm looking at sometime early next year.
Same attitude as you 2.

The new specs and features are quite good, but I want to see actual use and revierws in the field by other snappers 1st. Besides the price is bound to drop in 12 months, My K-5 is plenty good for now.
10-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get my annual bonus Feb. 10th. Normally I would just use a card but I have this weird feeling and I want to eliminate debt altogether. Cash being king, I expect to buy in 1Q2104 2014 (oops) and I expect to pay about what they cost now - I don't expect a discount. I will also buy lenses that I don't have.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-14-2013 at 01:30 AM.
10-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

It sound like a nice camera but there is only so much more that I need from a camera...

I have 3 pentax cameras, two K5 classics and a pentax k2000. In good light the k2000 takes about as nice pics as the K5 as long as I put a nice lens on it...The k5 shines in low light and for sports shooting compared to the k2000. I am not sure I need something 'better' than the K5 for a while.

I would rather spend the money on lenses but I have a fairly decent collection of them. Guess I just need to keep taking photos.

I think I will wait for the Sony rx ii compact camera to get lower in price and spend money on a carry-anywhere camera like that which would make a real difference in the frequency of taking photos.

10-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's highly tempting, but I'd like to see if the new AF is competitive with what my four-year old Canon 7D offers for shooting sports and birds. If it is, then I'd like to see pro-spec telephoto zooms such as Sigma's 120-300mm f2.8 be released in K-mount. That plus the K-3 would get my money immediately and clear my workspace of all Canon and EOS-mount items.

M
10-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have a K-30, too, and I'm very happy with it. I'm neither a pro nor a tech-fetishist, so I'll stick with the K-30 for at least a couple of years. The K-3 is a superb camera, though--the best dslr Pentax to date. Leaving resolution aside, I expect the sensor of K-3 to perform quite a bit better, although not much better, than the sensor in K-30/K-01/K-5, etc. The K-3 has the same sensor as the Nikon D7100, except the Nikon has the anti-aliasing filter. I suppose the most notable improvement is going to be with respect to AF.

Last edited by causey; 10-08-2013 at 04:29 PM.
10-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Only if my K-5IIs dies.
Still looking with interest the AF tracking improvements though.

The weakest part of my current system is the squishy organic part that actuates the buttons. I should spend the next year working on that.

10-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

About the time it is discontinued, just like I did with the K-5.
10-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #24

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Maybe in the spring. Disability income doesn't stretch far enough to make it happen this side of Easter - even if I quit eating for the next 6 months .
10-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been waiting for this camera , electing to skip the K5II and all the others that came out after my K-5 classics (well, except for the Q and Q7, but those fill a different need.)

I will not pre-order as I have to cover a few purchases including the new 540 flash pre-order whenever that decides to make it to BH.

I won't wait too long: a nice Black Friday deal will push me over the edge.

The improved tracking AF, faster FPS and processor, and dual SD cards are enough for me. The rest is just icing.
10-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
Pentaxian

For me, hopefully within the next six months or so.

I currently have a K-5 (classic) and a K-01. These days, the K-01 gets the lion's share of use because I can at least count on sharp, well-focused shots out of it. Well, as long as the subjects don't move too much!

The K-5 is sometimes sharp, sometimes not. In poor light, almost always not. The autofocus is just too inconsistent.

So with the K-3, I want to see how the AF is working out in real life. And I also need to find out whether they have finally, FINALLY fixed the bounce flash overexposure problem.

The K-5 is a great camera in a lot of ways, and I LOVE the way it handles, but I kinda feel burnt by it. It has some pretty significant flaws that were never fixed, or even officially admitted.

So I'll wait and see for a while.
10-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Is there any place in Canada to pre order
10-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I will be going to Japan later this year to check out the k-3 and other models (new or used), just need to a second body.
10-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel fortunate to have been able to upgrade from a K-5 to a K-5II earlier this year. So, no K-3 for quite a while. Compared to the K-5, the K-5II has better AF, low light capability, nicer rear LCD, no known problems. As a bonus, the electronic level is spot on (my K-5 was off by several degrees). I've carefully calibrated the focus of all of my AF and MF lenses, so the system is working well for me.

I'm very interested in the K-3 design, however. Appears to be a very well integrated system with several significant features! Looking forward to reading user reports.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-08-2013 at 05:23 PM.
10-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Easy answer for me, No.

K-5 IIs has proven itself to be exactly what I was looking for when I switched from Film to Digital.

I simply Don't need the additional features of the K-3 for My Type of Photography and I never shoot Video with a DSLR.

I really appreciate what the K-3 brings to the table, And I'm really looking forward to see what people can do with it.

As I have a lot of other lenses than Pentax, I might supplement my Wonderful K-5 IIs with another brand too, Lots of fun stuff out there lately.