Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

German Color Foto claims K-3 makes any lens a shift lens

Maybe I missed something in the specs and also in the many threads and posts about the K-3?

The well known German photographic magazine Color Foto introduces the K-3 on their web site, where they explain one sensational new feature mentioned neither in the specs, nor in the many other previews. Either they are wrong, or Pentax missed in the official specifications. The fact that the previews do not mention it, could be due to the fact that they all used pre-production bodies (they admitted that some features in the menues were still disabled).

Color Foto tells that the user can shift the sensor horizontally and vertically by 1.5mm each in 24 steps, making any ordinary lens a shift lens.
QuoteQuote:
"Weiterhin kann der Sensor der Pentax K-3 für besondere Situationen individuell eingestellt werden. Die Bildausschnittanpassung aktiviert einen Sensor-Shift, der die Wirkung eines Shift-Objektivs erzeugt. Dazu ist der Sensor in je 24 Stufen horizontal und vertikal um 1,5 mm verschiebbar"
Pentax K-3: Neues DSLR-Topmodell mit erweitertem Sensor-Shift - COLORFOTO

10-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well technically that was true for the k-5II and k-5 and I think the k-30 also. Not sure if they go as far as 1.5mm, but they allowed frame adjustment for minor shifting.
10-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@JinDesu

I don't own a K-5, so I didn't know.
But they call it an enhanced sensor shift, so it probably can get better usage now.
10-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sensor Shift In Action: Increasing Field of View - Pentax Tutorial Videos - PentaxForums.com

Here is the reference from the forum. Only reason why I remember it was because of this article.

10-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Composition Adjustment: old news. Been there since the K-7. From the Imaging Resource K-5 review:

Pentax K-5 Review: Full Review - Liveview
Compared to the K-7, the Pentax K-5 allows an even greater range of adjustment, so long as you don't use the rotational correction -- as far as 1.5mm (24 steps) away from centered in either the horizontal or vertical axes. If the sensor is rotated even by one step, the adjustment range reverts to the same as that of the K-7 -- 1mm (16 steps) in any direction.The level of rotational adjustment is unchanged, at approximately one degree (8 steps) on either side of level. A nice touch is that the K-5 now indicates the level of adjustment that you've made, allowing you to remain aware of how much further adjustment is possible.
Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 10-08-2013 at 07:54 PM.
10-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you.

So Color Foto have missed that Pentax increased the shift range from K-7 -> K-5.
10-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Where on the K5 menu is this?? I would like to experiment but cannot find how to do it.

10-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Where on the K5 menu is this?? I would like to experiment but cannot find how to do it.
Menu | Camera icon menu 2 | Camera Adjust.
10-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Maybe I missed something in the specs and also in the many threads and posts about the K-3?

The well known German photographic magazine Color Foto introduces the K-3 on their web site, where they explain one sensational new feature mentioned neither in the specs, nor in the many other previews. Either they are wrong, or Pentax missed in the official specifications. The fact that the previews do not mention it, could be due to the fact that they all used pre-production bodies (they admitted that some features in the menues were still disabled).

Color Foto tells that the user can shift the sensor horizontally and vertically by 1.5mm each in 24 steps, making any ordinary lens a shift lens.
Pentax K-3: Neues DSLR-Topmodell mit erweitertem Sensor-Shift - COLORFOTO
It's certainly been there since the K-7 I wrote about using it in 2010 Pentax K-7 Sensor shift (Composition adjust) | Wallace Koopmans Artlog
10-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
See these videos (start in the second tab of the record menu):

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #11

doesn't the usage of the word "shift lens" in the article suggest that you can use the sensor shift to correct perspective distortion? (which is something the sensor shift can't do afaik, or can it?)
10-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
doesn't the usage of the word "shift lens" in the article suggest that you can use the sensor shift to correct perspective distortion? (which is something the sensor shift can't do afaik, or can it?)
Correcting perspective distortion is done by keeping the sensor parallel with the subject. Normally an image requires the camera being tilted up to capture the entire subject (e.g. for architecture) and as such the sensor is no longer parallel to the subject. Shifting either the sensor or the lens means the camera either does not need to be tilted up or much less so. Of course lens shift can achieve a much more significant effect than sensor shift, but in principle both have similar effect. As such the statement can be considered correct. In practice, however, shifting the sensor is more about adjusting framing while on a tripod without having to move the tripod.

Wim
10-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #13
Banned

I speak German and it was interpreted wrong in translation.
10-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I speak German and it was interpreted wrong in translation.
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Sensor-Shift, der die Wirkung eines Shift-Objektivs erzeugt.
so do i, and i find it equally misleading in German...
10-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't think the German translation is misleading. I tells it exactly as Ishpuini explains it.

What they obviously got wrong is the "enhanced shift capabilty" of the K-3.
It seems the enhancement was done from K-7 to K-5, not from K-5 to K-3.