Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I don't see any reason why K-3 would behave differently than earlier cameras.
And like on earlier cameras you can probably choose that 4-way (or 8-way on K-3) controller selects AF point by default in "AF-point select" mode.

Is there any reason why you think Pentax has made K-3 less configurable than previous cameras?
I don't know, because there is no longer a direct access switch?

I'd like to simply switch, in an instant, to selection AF and get my shot, then go back to center.

I don't know why you somehow think I said the K-3 is "less configurable". I simply NEED the least number of steps in this setting sequence and the K-5 has it.

10-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But I think the new way is faster and easier to use than the old switch. You push the AF-mode button with you left thumb and at the same time rotate the rear wheel with your right thumb, and you see in OVF what mode you selected. When you are used to it it will just be in one move.

The old mechanical switch is way to hard to operate IMO, so I at least have to look at it when I use it. And If I use gloves it might be impossible to use.
10-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #18
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
But I think the new way is faster and easier to use than the old switch. You push the AF-mode button with you left thumb and at the same time rotate the rear wheel with your right thumb, and you see in OVF what mode you selected. When you are used to it it will just be in one move.

The old mechanical switch is way to hard to operate IMO, so I at least have to look at it when I use it. And If I use gloves it might be impossible to use.
It may be and I won't rule it out or rule it in until I can handle it myself. It's still hard to imagine that one step won't be faster than two. I simply toggle the K5's switch to selection, the last selected point is remembered by the cam, and I shoot. Done.

This might not be the case for everyone, but it's easily tied for my concert shooting for #1 control with shutter.
10-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

If you use just one point to the right of the center in portrait orientation, why not just stay in AF point selection mode and push directional button instead of moving the switch? It's one step operation as well.

10-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #20
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
If you use just one point to the right of the center in portrait orientation, why not just stay in AF point selection mode and push directional button instead of moving the switch? It's one step operation as well.
Because:

1. sometimes I change other parameters and this is the balance I've found that works. The 4 way controller is needed for other stuff.
2. The K-5 sometimes glitches and needs to be turned off before the buttons respond properly to allow AF point changes. Sometimes it just doesn't respond with selection function to the points and reverts back to the native functions (ie: if I try to move the point back to the center by hitting the left button, I end up in WB mode, then have to toggle the switch to get it to respond or just put it back in center via the switch anyhow).

Doing what I do avoids/minimizes control conflicts.

Last edited by snake; 10-09-2013 at 01:29 PM.
10-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Honestly, I've tried your method and while it works ok and I can imagine you're used to it, I find much more convenient to use the 4-way controller because I can always move to different AF point if I want to and it's much faster to press the button than to turn the lever for me. Plus I always have the 4-way buttons in AF-point selection mode since I shoot RAW exclusively and I rarely need to get to those WB and Picture Style menus. Never had problems with the buttons response on the K-5 nor the IIs.
10-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Honestly, I've tried your method and while it works ok and I can imagine you're used to it, I find much more convenient to use the 4-way controller because I can always move to different AF point if I want to and it's much faster to press the button than to turn the lever for me. Plus I always have the 4-way buttons in AF-point selection mode since I shoot RAW exclusively and I rarely need to get to those WB and Picture Style menus. Never had problems with the buttons response on the K-5 nor the IIs.
Again, the 4 way controller reverts unexpectedly back to its native functions in selection AF, so it's not a viable suggestion on your part. There's nothing easier on the K-5 than this switch.

If there's a switch there, what's wrong with using it?

10-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Nothing's wrong, it's just your method of using it, not its basic function. I find buttons more convenient and universal and never had issues with the controller reverting to its "native" functions, maybe that's why I'm slightly surprised that it could be so important for someone, especially if there is an alternative way to get the same result (at least) equally fast. I would not exclude the K-3 basing solely on that "issue", even if there is no way to replicate your method with a new button layout (I'm not sure about that).
10-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #24
Banned

Original Poster
That's ok, but I have my own modus. Thanks.