Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
Banned

Switching Between Center-AF and Selection

I've posed this question in another thread, but it wasn't answered there.

I switch often between center AF point and selection AF (where one of the outer horizontal points is ready for when I go into portrait).

Now that Pentax has given the lever a different function, how many steps is required to switch between the two modes? What is the button-press sequence and is this now hidden behind either the FX or AF buttons on the front of the body?

10-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote

I switch often between center AF point and selection AF (where one of the outer horizontal points is ready for when I go into portrait).

Now that Pentax has given the lever a different function, how many steps is required to switch between the two modes? What is the button-press sequence and is this now hidden behind either the FX or AF buttons on the front of the body?
I believe you would now use the SD1/SD2 button beside the 4-way pad.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2013, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Press AF mode button and turn rear wheel.
If you are in AF-C or AF-S modes there will be different options to choose from.
10-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #4

there's a detailed info in imaging-resources.com...you'll find everything about the K-3 in there comprehensive report.

10-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vboy Quote
there's a detailed info in imaging-resources.com...you'll find everything about the K-3 in there comprehensive report.
Are you sure that's the right address?
10-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Are you sure that's the right address?
It's not. See the imaging-resource.com K-3 preview here.
10-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Doesn't say much of anything.

10-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't say much of anything.
QuoteQuote:
To switch between single-servo and continuous-servo autofocus, which was previously accomplished using the Focus Mode switch, you must now hold down the new AF Mode button while turning the front dial. If you turn the rear dial while holding down the AF Mode button, you access the various point selection options, replacing the now-absent AF Point Selection dial. Options include 27-point, 9-point, Select, and Spot.
Hold button, turn dial to select mode.

So looks like technically 1 steps more than previous.
10-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

In K-5.K5IIs, there is already an additional step to toggle between the menu and AF point selection, very frustrated, as it always stay in the AF point selection in my K200D.
Now one more step? not good...

I tried Canon 6D the other day and I hate it when I have to press the AF button, and the 4 way wheel to mode AF point, and it only stay for few seconds, hate that.... Hope PENTAX don't go that direction.
10-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Hold button, turn dial to select mode.

So looks like technically 1 steps more than previous.
But you probably won't end up with a sore thumb, like with the old type of switch.
And button + wheel is easier to use while looking though the OVF.
10-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Col
Veteran Member

I'm trying to remember what I did this morning.
Selector on AF.
Whilst Holding AFmode button front e-dial allowed selection of AFs AFc AFa. Rear cycled though number of points to be used 1, 9, 27 (and something auto I think)
If anything other than all selected:
Pressing the select button (ie Focus Point Select/ SD Card Select) then change the four way buttons to arrow keys for moving the AF area around.

It is quite clear from the rear graphics... which are really well designed.

An early problem I found was I seemed to be accidentally changing between the 2 4-way key options with the ball of my thumb

Last edited by Col; 10-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
10-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
In K-5.K5IIs, there is already an additional step to toggle between the menu and AF point selection, very frustrated, as it always stay in the AF point selection in my K200D.
Now one more step? not good...

I tried Canon 6D the other day and I hate it when I have to press the AF button, and the 4 way wheel to mode AF point, and it only stay for few seconds, hate that.... Hope PENTAX don't go that direction.
Er, wait I'm confused. On the k-5/k-5IIs, I believe the way to swap the AF point was to hold the OK button until the menu switched, then choose your mode etc, then hold the OK button to get out of that menu. It should then stay in each menu until you quit out of it.

Are you saying on the 6D, if you try to go to the AF point select menu, it stays for a few seconds and closes on you?
10-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Er, wait I'm confused. On the k-5/k-5IIs, I believe the way to swap the AF point was to hold the OK button until the menu switched, then choose your mode etc, then hold the OK button to get out of that menu. It should then stay in each menu until you quit out of it.

Are you saying on the 6D, if you try to go to the AF point select menu, it stays for a few seconds and closes on you?
On the K-5, when the toggle switch is in selection AF, the 4 way controller automatically controls where it is. Now here's the key of how I use it: I have it set in selection to one point to the right of center, so when I go to portrait mode on the street, I simply toggle the switch to selection, the cam remembers the last point I selected, and I line up the point with the face and I'm done.

I would find this to be crucial not only for my street shooting, but for my concert shooting and if it's not reassigned to even a function button, the K-3 will likely not be for me and I'll move on for my next buy. I need a second body, but I'm not averse to going to another company, since I just need a 35 and 50.
10-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I really don't think it resets your AF select when you go to center point, then switch back. I can't confirm that, but it would be really odd if that was true.

Regardless, to swap between center point and select point, you hold the AF button and scroll the back wheel.
10-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

On the K-5, when the toggle switch is in selection AF, the 4 way controller automatically controls where it is. Now here's the key of how I use it: I have it set in selection to one point to the right of center, so when I go to portrait mode on the street, I simply toggle the switch to selection, the cam remembers the last point I selected, and I line up the point with the face and I'm done.

I would find this to be crucial not only for my street shooting, but for my concert shooting and if it's not reassigned to even a function button, the K-3 will likely not be for me and I'll move on for my next buy. I need a second body, but I'm not averse to going to another company, since I just need a 35 and 50.
I don't see any reason why K-3 would behave differently than earlier cameras.
And like on earlier cameras you can probably choose that 4-way (or 8-way on K-3) controller selects AF point by default in "AF-point select" mode.

Is there any reason why you think Pentax has made K-3 less configurable than previous cameras?