Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

When you get your K-3, how will you dispose of your older body

Hey folks,

I am curious to know how will you dispose of your old bodies when you get your K-3?

I know some keep their current ones as backup, others will give them away and finally some will sell.

I intend to give my older body to my niece who has enrolled in a photo course this winter.

You think that such gifts can increase user base eventually?

10-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Hey folks,

I am curious to know how will you dispose of your old bodies when you get your K-3?

I know some keep their current ones as backup, others will give them away and finally some will sell.

I intend to give my older body to my niece who has enrolled in a photo course this winter.

You think that such gifts can increase user base eventually?

I have 2 daughters that are into photography so I hand my cameras down right now 1 of my daughters has my old K-m and the other uses my old K-x when I get the K-3 the K-5 will go to my youngest daughter and the K-m will go to the wife going to start teaching her to use a Dslr instead of her P&S
10-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My two K5 cameras will probably go on a shelf.
I don't sell Pentax gear (usually).
My niece is too young to use them, and her mother, my sister-in-law, has not made much use of the K-x I got her.
I've had too many people be weenies/nit-pick when I have sold older bodies, so it's not worth the hassle to sell them (besides, I don't usually sell Pentax gear).

If there was someone in my life that could use them, I would loan them to them for sure.

You never know, the K5 is still a GREAT camera, so they might continue to be used for projects where I want to shoot stereo cameras, or multiple camera angles or whatever else I can think up.

10-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i will keep mine as well...i still have my k200

10-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Plan to sell two K5s and one grip on the Marketplace. Will shoot with a K5 II and a K3. At least that's the plan. Of course, if the K3 is good enough, I may end up having to get two of them...
10-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

So far I've never used a previous camera anymore. With only one exception: my K-7 got some use when my very new K-5 showed the sensor stains that early copies were plagued with. The K-5 was replaced, and while I was waiting for the replacement the K-7 filled in. But that was in the first month of my K-5 use. Once I got a clean K-5, the K-7 went unused as had previous previous cameras.

Generally I end up selling my previous DSLR. Most have gone onto the second hand market (K10D and K-7) and one to my brother (the K20D, which I consider Pentax best effort prior to the K-5). My first DSLR, the *istDS, is still in my possession. I don't think my brother will want to upgrade the K20D to the K-5, but he'll have first choice. If he doesn't take it, it'll go onto the marketplace (here or on a local forum).

Wim
10-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Backup body. The K5 is capable, very capable. I seem to have my camera in for repair of some sort every year or so. The batteries will be used in the new one, so they won't deteriorate from non use.

10-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
i will keep mine as well...i still have my k200
So do I but, frankly, if the new iterations of camera are as good as they are said to be, then the K200D is going to be collecting dust. (The Q and K-01 will be kept for time lapses and everyday snaps)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anyone and it's a personal preference; It does not bring me comfort or help me have good memories to collect the old books I've read or old cameras I used. I prefer to make someone happy with a gift than see relic of the past on my shelf.
10-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
pdo

My 2 K30 is still a very capable camera. Hopefully I can find a relative that can make good use of it.

10-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-5 will go in the recycling bin. Because I don't plan on upgrading before it dies.

I just have to remind myself how good the K-5 really is every time I read about the K-3
10-09-2013, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #11

K-5 will be second body when out and about so not going anywhere.
10-09-2013, 07:12 AM - 4 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Like I always do, in the woods.

Wait, did I just say that out loud?

10-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My daughter wants a Pentax DSLR in the worst way. She is currently saving her money to buy a house however, so she can't really afford a new DSLR at the moment. That said, I would pass my K30 over to her.
10-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Hey folks,

My K-5IIs will become my back-up camera, living in the boot of my car. It will supersede my K-5 which is my current back-up camera. I don't know what I will do with the K-5 - perhaps give it to a relative.

My even earlier back-up camera, K-7, has gone away to be converted for infra-red.
10-09-2013, 07:44 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a few more upgrades and I can do my own Matrix style movies.
Attached Images