Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only fitting way to say farewell to such a noble warrior.

10-09-2013, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I won't dispose of anything I have bought or been given NEW. I've sold most of the cameras and lenses I've bought used. I will very likely dispose of more used cameras and lenses in coming weeks (Marketplace, eBay or KEH, in that order) and replace them with a K-3 and the three FA Limiteds (which ought to fully cover the sensor on my next new camera body, thank you very much).

Then I will die before I buy anything else.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-09-2013 at 08:56 AM.
10-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

My oldest K-5 (+50 K clicks), I gave to my son, this Monday after reading the K-3 specs. That's a very good excuse for me to buy the K-3! :-) Because I want to have 2 bodies... I still keep a silver K-5 (Mk 1). He also has a K-01, and a Q-7, so he is already a hard core Pentaxian. :-)

(My daughter uses my old K-r and a Q-7. My fiance shoots with a MX-1!)
10-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Just a few more upgrades and I can do my own Matrix style movies.
LOL.

I thought about that too!!!

10-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #20
Forum Member

I'll likely check the number of clicks on the oldest K-7 and put it up for sale. But the infra-red idea is intriguing. Or perhaps relegating it to extreme-conditions use. Just not sure what the K-7 is worth on the used market.

Anyone seen the movie "Orange County" where Colin Hanks' character discovers a novel buried in the sand on the beach and is inspired to become an author after reading it? Perhaps a similar fate would be fitting for a K-7. Surely being buried in the sand for a few months wouldn't hurt it...
10-09-2013, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
So do I but, frankly, if the new iterations of camera are as good as they are said to be, then the K200D is going to be collecting dust. (The Q and K-01 will be kept for time lapses and everyday snaps)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anyone and it's a personal preference; It does not bring me comfort or help me have good memories to collect the old books I've read or old cameras I used. I prefer to make someone happy with a gift than see relic of the past on my shelf.
no offense taken...i periodically have the same thoughts but haven't found anyone that i thought would appreciate something like that...never say never... i have found that having the extra systems gives me flexibility to help a friend if they need backup...at some point i may need to look at what i have and do something with them...i also have my olympus om1 which like the k200 was the first of its kind for me
10-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #22

I'm thinking my K-5IIs would be happy with a wide lens (Sigma 8-16mm) to accompany the K-3 with DA*60-250 mounted for heavy cropping purposes. My K20D have been relaxing on the shelf, next to my ME, ever since I bought the K-5IIs a year ago.

10-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Interesting thread... I will likely just keep my 2 K-5 bodies. In the past I would sell them off when they got around 40-50k clicks on them and roll that money into the new body. But since I didn't get the K-5II they now both have over 100k shots on them. Doubt I could really sell them for much if anything. Also have given my dad my old cameras in the past but he already has a K-5...so again I guess I will just hold onto them as backups or rare occasions when I want to work with 3 bodies.
10-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I already have a K-X for a back up for my K-5, I most likely will just wait in the shadows and snatch up a barely used K-5IIs that some poor sap will be unloading for cheap in here in anticipation over the "NEWEST' thing(the K-3), it happens all the time n here......just love it.
As for the K-3? well as tempting as it is, I most likely will give it some time before jumping on that bandwagon.
Once I snatch up one of those slightly used K-5IIs I will most likely will hand the K-X down to my daughter, she has been "Jonseing" to be getting into photography, ys she is only twelve, so this little DSLR will be perfect for her to use.

Now......time to head over to the marketplace and peruse the "slightly used K-5IIs's" that will be up for immediate sale......
10-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Hey folks,

I am curious to know how will you dispose of your old bodies when you get your K-3?

I know some keep their current ones as backup, others will give them away and finally some will sell.

I intend to give my older body to my niece who has enrolled in a photo course this winter.

You think that such gifts can increase user base eventually?
I bet we will see a lot of K-5 IIs's on the marketplace in the coming weeks...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I have finally, FINALLY convinced my wife to give up her beloved K2000, so it will be a gift to her sister, who wants her first DSLR really badly. That camera never seemed to get much love in the forums, but I've seen first hand some pretty impressive images out of it. My wife will use my back-up K-5IIs with the grip removed, of course, on the rare occasion that she actually uses a DSLR. K-01 is also available to her.

So, along with me working on converting my brother-in-law to Pentax from his entry-level Nikon, I'm potentially bringing two more into the Pentax fold. Which, I'm just realizing, may be a huge mistake on my part. I may become their "lens bank". Glad neither lives close by right now.
10-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #27

While I haven't decided, I think that I would give my K-7 and genuine grip to my parents if they would want to buy the 18-135 at the K-3+18-135 kit cost.

I was thinking about keeping it, but I really want my family back in the States to have a decent camera/lens kit so they can share more about their lives with me since I moved to Finland.

I've loved my K-7, but its low light performance doesn't inspire confidence. And it is crazy dark here for a large portion of the year, so the ability to shoot at higher ISOs and have a) cleaner files and b) better AF make me want to upgrade. I really want to be able to capture better images OOC in both indoor and outdoor low light conditions. I know the K-5 was very much superior to the K-7 in that regard, so I can only wait for some more in-depth reviews of the K-3 to sell me

Then the K-7 can retire to brighter pastures
10-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I have finally, FINALLY convinced my wife to give up her beloved K2000, so it will be a gift to her sister, who wants her first DSLR really badly. That camera never seemed to get much love in the forums, but I've seen first hand some pretty impressive images out of it. My wife will use my back-up K-5IIs with the grip removed, of course, on the rare occasion that she actually uses a DSLR. K-01 is also available to her.

So, along with me working on converting my brother-in-law to Pentax from his entry-level Nikon, I'm potentially bringing two more into the Pentax fold. Which, I'm just realizing, may be a huge mistake on my part. I may become their "lens bank". Glad neither lives close by right now.
But it's always good to know someone who could buy your lenses when you want to upgrade yours...
10-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I plan to relegate my K-5 to duties as a dedicated macro camera and general back-up. I don't think I could ever part with it. When its duties are done, my brave little warrior will join my collection of classic (and not-so-classic) cameras. I don't think I have ever been so fond of a camera as I am of this one, and I have had many in my time.
10-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I got two K5 classics. I've built a pretty good bond with my original Hiya era K5, so it will be boxed up so I can one day soon pass it onto my niece. As for the other K5 it will continue as a second body for my K3

I don't think either K5 will ever be sold. I just love the camera too much to let it go. It really is a modern classic.