Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

K3 Sensor - It's SONY - PF is wacked out ;-)

"asahi man
Regular Member • Posts: 325
asahi man
Regular Member | Posts: 325
Private message
Re: Pentax K-3's Sensor- a question
In reply to Chris Mak, 6 min ago
So my friends,in this second i have a very nice phototour with Pentax,the sensor in the Pentax K-3 is still,a new Sony Sensor!

Best regards"

Edit: Re: Pentax K-3's Sensor- a question: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

You read it here first

Last edited by solar1; 10-09-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: add link
10-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Prelude to the above post:

asahi man
asahi man
Regular Member • Posts: 325
Like?

asahi man
Regular Member | Posts: 325
Private message
Re: K-3 sample, noise at ISO100 and stuck pixels...
In reply to miles green, 10 hours ago
miles green wrote:

Just going by this from the other forum:

"The sensor in the K-3 is extremely likely to be the same Toshiba chip found in the Nikon D7100 and D5200, as all three sensors have a total resolution of 24.71 megapixels. As reviews of the latter two cameras have shown, the new 24-megapixel sensor is capable of outperforming the K-5/D7000's old 16-megapixel chip in all areas, albeit to a small extent."

I read somewhere that this was confirmed. Of course, different hardware behind the sensor could result in the small differences in final resolution, as well as in small differences in image quality and not-so-small differences in performance.

-- show signature --
asahiman: Today i have a longer meeting with Pentax,i will see what the new statement is
10-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In 2 youtube video previews ("What digital camera" and another one I can't remember) I saw last night the sensor in the K-3 was referred to as a Sony sensor.
10-09-2013, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know this is a big deal to many here, but my K-5 Classic has a few years left before I need to know this. I will find the 'final answer' interesting, but I'm not worried which brand is on the sensor as I'm confident that Pentax will make it work better than others. And whichever sensor is in the K-3 we cannot change it, so I'll trust Ricoh to pick the best mix of hi quality and value.

10-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sony sensor with 25 cross type hmmm That does not sound right. But then the grouping - The grouping looks almost like Sony. Well someone who knows more can share.

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Toshiba chip found in the Nikon D7100 and D5200,
I second this. This sounds about right. Better than D7100 though for sure
10-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Sony sensor with 25 cross type hmmm That does not sound right. But then the grouping - The grouping looks almost like Sony. Well someone who knows more can share.
The sensor has nothing to do with the primary (PDAF) autofocus system.
10-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Regardless of who delivers the sensor (though it's been said on many sites that it's a Toshiba chip), you can expect the performance to be in the D7100/D5200 ballpark. It's the same generation of technology, after all.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I googled k-3 in youtube and watched a couple of videos (both from Europe, I think), both commentators said the K-3 is equipped with the 24 Megapixel Sony sensor. So, may be the K-3 will give better (or worse) results compared to D7100?
10-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
In 2 youtube video previews ("What digital camera" and another one I can't remember) I saw last night the sensor in the K-3 was referred to as a Sony sensor.
Sorry, twitch, I didn't read your post... I did the same last night and both says Sony sensor.
10-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Banned

Yes, it is a new generation Sony's sensor. Better than Toshiba's, better than one in A77 or wherever else.
It will also end up in new Nikon's hi-end DX body, new Sony's cameras, etc.
Also, is some new Ricoh / Pentax cameras, but let's keep quiet about it, for now.
10-09-2013, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll see if I can get an official answer to put an end to all of the speculation

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Yes, it is a new generation Sony's sensor. Better than Toshiba's, better than one in A77 or wherever else.
It will also end up in new Nikon's hi-end DX body, new Sony's cameras, etc.
Also, is some new Ricoh / Pentax cameras, but let's keep quiet about it, for now.
Uluru,
I've seen you hint at new models around the new year in a thread or two here. Can you share any more info at all? I'm on the fence regarding the K-3 and I'm very curious about the model that may come below it.
Thanks either way!
LR
10-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
(though it's been said on many sites that it's a Toshiba chip
Isn't that the PRIME III image processor. The sensor should be Sony or am I wrong here?
edit: never-mind, Fujitsu is the prime III chip maker.
10-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Sorry, twitch, I didn't read your post... I did the same last night and both says Sony sensor.
No need to be sorry about watching videos on the K-3

I really hope it is a Sony sensor esp. if it's a new generation one. Some are assuming due to the sensor resolution specs that it's a Toshiba sensor. However others assumed the OMD-EM5 came with a Panasonic sensor for the same reason, until it was later confirmed it was a Sony one.
10-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally I would be astonished if Ricoh got first crack at a new Sony sensor - especially since Nikon co-develops sensors with Sony. I think it more likely Ricoh got the Toshiba sensor after the D7100 exclusive period expired.