Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
Banned

QuoteQuote:
But the one camera we have to look at is the Pentax. It uses the same Sony A77 sensor but the real highlight is the smart AA filter effect created trough the on sensor stabilization.
Smart: New K-3 uses IBIS to create AA filter effect! | sonyalpharumors

10-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

What monochrome said. Looking forward to hearing something more official.
10-09-2013, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

I just want to learn more about the dynamic range, high-ISO/shadow noise characteristics, and banding or pattern noise (if any).

If those all check out, then I don't care if the sensor is made by Taco Bell.
10-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Regardless of who delivers the sensor (though it's been said on many sites that it's a Toshiba chip), you can expect the performance to be in the D7100/D5200 ballpark. It's the same generation of technology, after all.
I agree Adam. Pentax offers superior quality. I love my K5 and K7 still. I don't see the auto focus problem because when I need critical focus, I go manual. Just like the good old days with my ME Super.

10-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Personally I would be astonished if Ricoh got first crack at a new Sony sensor - especially since Nikon co-develops sensors with Sony. I think it more likely Ricoh got the Toshiba sensor after the D7100 exclusive period expired.
Wasn't the K-5 the first camera to have it's sensor? I think I'd be more surprised if Ricoh brought out such an important and well-equipped new body with a two year old sensor.
10-09-2013, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #21
mee
Veteran Member

Does it really matter who made it? Just wait for some output and reviews then judge them to see if it meets your needs.
10-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Personally I would be astonished if Ricoh got first crack at a new Sony sensor - especially since Nikon co-develops sensors with Sony. I think it more likely Ricoh got the Toshiba sensor after the D7100 exclusive period expired.
Why would you be astonished? They designed the 4/3 sensor exclusively for Olympus.

Can you links something credible to support that Nikon and Sony are currently co-developing sensors?

Can we see something to support the idea that Nikon has any exclusivity on Sony sensors?

I see all of these rumors repeated and repeated without any proof ever being presented. At one point it was rumored that Nikon was leasing fab space for FF sensors from Sony, but that was years ago.

10-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Wasn't the K-5 the first camera to have it's sensor?
No, the A580 was the first implementation, then the A55, then Nikon's D7000 and a couple of days later the K-5 was announced. They had to work on all those cameras at the same time anyway.
10-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Does it really matter who made it? Just wait for some output and reviews then judge them to see if it meets your needs.
Couldn't agree more. I don't care who made it, but it sits much better with me to think my new body has the latest, greatest, newest sensor available as opposed to two year old technology. And I'll do the testing myself. I pre-ordered as soon as they "opened the doors" on Monday.
10-09-2013, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Regardless of who delivers the sensor ... you can expect the performance to be in the D7100/D5200 ballpark.
And that's a problem. D7100 has shadow banding not catched by DxO dynamic range normalization formula. D7000 or K-5 hasn't. So, do not say "regardless" ...

If DxO ever were to measure dynamic range as a function of spatial frequency (as they should), the D7100 score would have to be corrected down.
I'll see if I can get an official answer to put an end to all of the speculation
Please do.
Other forums are already making jokes about PF credibility and it is your posts they mean.
You have to restore some reputation here.

Why did you post "Toshiba made sensor" on the front page if this information wasn't reliable? What has been your source anyway?
10-09-2013, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

@falconeye. Don't make it personal. I'm sure Adam is doing the best he can with what he has.
10-09-2013, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
@falconeye. Don't make it personal. I'm sure Adam is doing the best he can with what he has.
I hope he doesn't take it personal. I am a big fan of him and my critics isn't meant personal. But I think he deserves some feedback that what he posts better meets the high standards of a Thom Hogan or Roger Cicala. Fame has its price

So, if the Toshiba info was wrong, then its just a mistake everybody can make. But in this instance, I think it would be a good move for Adam to apologize.
10-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

It will be extremely disappointing if the Pentax-optimized Sony 16MP outperforms the new sensor in any category. Hence the importance of this issue.
10-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
barf

I'd rather my camera of choice didn't give me food poisoning, GMO's and gas. I'll stick with Sony.

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I just want to learn more about the dynamic range, high-ISO/shadow noise characteristics,
and banding or pattern noise (if any).

If those all check out, then I don't care if the sensor is made by Taco Bell.
10-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #30
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are no "exclusive periods penalties" now with Ricoh in the game.
It's an all new game.