Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luxrising Quote
Uluru,
I've seen you hint at new models around the new year in a thread or two here. Can you share any more info at all? I'm on the fence regarding the K-3 and I'm very curious about the model that may come below it.
Thanks either way!
LR
They are very secretive about it.
They've let K-3 bits and pieces to spread around to excite fans (and because everyone was expecting K-3 anyway) but there's nothing clearly confirmed about the next K-body. Because no one is expecting anything in particular, or draw from experience — it's uncharted territory.

I only think they are planning a wow! form-factor, something not done before, and want to keep cards close to their chest. Mind you, even the 18-70/2.8 wasn't released now, only a 55-300 WR. (and no one knew anything about new 55-300 just 2 days before the announcement!).

They are saving more exciting news for later. In any case, I'd grab the K-3 now — it's a killer, especially in silver.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-09-2013 at 06:51 PM.
10-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
There are no "exclusive periods penalties" now with Ricoh in the game.
It's an all new game.
If that's true and not just hyperbole it's a big deal. Ricoh still needs to get 10% share, not just look like they can.
10-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If that's true and not just hyperbole it's a big deal. Ricoh still needs to get 10% share, not just look like they can.
Absolutely no hyperbole. Ricoh is in the game.. They know they can't win fans and their confidence if they use second-best parts and solutions.
10-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
even the 18-70/2.8 wasn't released now
I don't believe that range is possible in an f/2.8 lens. If it were, it'd be hugeeee.

10-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Personally I would be astonished if Ricoh got first crack at a new Sony sensor - especially since Nikon co-develops sensors with Sony. I think it more likely Ricoh got the Toshiba sensor after the D7100 exclusive period expired.
Unless it were Ricoh/Pentax engineers who outlined to Sony specifically what had to be changed from the "old" 24 MP sensor.
10-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I hope he doesn't take it personal. I am a big fan of him and my critics isn't meant personal. But I think he deserves some feedback that what he posts better meets the high standards of a Thom Hogan or Roger Cicala. Fame has its price

So, if the Toshiba info was wrong, then its just a mistake everybody can make. But in this instance, I think it would be a good move for Adam to apologize.
The homepage post doesn't state that it's a Toshiba sensor, it states that it is very likely to be the same sensor. This supposition is based on the similarity of the K-3's and D7100's maximum pixel count of 24.71. Who knows if this number is correct, however, as I can point out at least a dozen other typos in the K-3's press-release spec sheet (because much of it was copy-and-pasted from the K-5 II's spec sheet). I've done my best to try to verify/correct the specs in the tables published on our homepage. Some people are saying that it is a Sony sensor, others are saying that it isn't- it's all speculation. This will be clarified as soon as I have the information (likely tomorrow). I am willing to bet that most Pentax/Ricoh employees don't know who the sensor manufacturer is. That's why my inquiry will make it almost all the way to the top in Japan.

Nowhere did I say I knew who the manufacturer was for certain, nor did I confirm this spec. Perhaps I wasn't clear in the way things were phrased.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never said I didn't believe it - I have no basis for belief or disbelief right now. I will be shocked, though, if Ricoh is powerful enough to design and command special Sony fabrication for the expected volume of the K3.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Why would you be astonished? They designed the 4/3 sensor exclusively for Olympus.

Can you links something credible to support that Nikon and Sony are currently co-developing sensors?
Google search Nikon Sony sensor collaboration returns 20 hits at the top, including Luminous-Landscape

Can we see something to support the idea that Nikon has any exclusivity on Sony sensors?
Per PetaPixel Sony has to wait 6-12 months to use Nikon-collaborated sensors in its own cameras.

I see all of these rumors repeated and repeated without any proof ever being presented. At one point it was rumored that Nikon was leasing fab space for FF sensors from Sony, but that was years ago.
Another PetaPixel article: ChipWorks reverse engineers Nikon-designed Sony sensors. The article also refers to Nikon's foundry partner Renesas.

10-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I don't believe that range is possible in an f/2.8 lens. If it were, it'd be hugeeee.
Something like 24-105/4 for Canon, maybe smaller. Not too big
10-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nowhere did I say I knew who the manufacturer was for certain, nor did I confirm this spec. Perhaps I wasn't clear in the way things were phrased.
I thought you made it perfectly clear that you were making an educated guess, but some people just see the word "Toshiba" and that's that I guess...
10-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but if the sensor in the D7100 is an example of the best that a Nikon influenced Sony sensor can do, then why would anyone bother to reverse-engineer it or wait 6-12 months to "get" to use it?

I'm honestly not that worried if the K-3 turns out to have that sensor as I have full confidence that Pentax can get better performance out of it, but the performance of a brand-new Sony sensor would almost certainly be even better.
10-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #41
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Maybe I'm missing something, but if the sensor in the D7100 is an example of the best that a Nikon influenced Sony sensor can do, then why would anyone bother to reverse-engineer it or wait 6-12 months to "get" to use it?

I'm honestly not that worried if the K-3 turns out to have that sensor as I have full confidence that Pentax can get better performance out of it, but the performance of a brand-new Sony sensor would almost certainly be even better.
The D7100 produces excellent files- even if the IQ turns out to be virtually identical, I wouldn't complain. IMO it's more important to recognize the feature improvements that have (finally) made their way into the K-3.

Dramatic IQ improvements can only be realized through a larger sensor, at least for the time-being (until we see other "generational" enhancements).

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #42
Pentaxian

This is not a back-lit sensor or it would say so, eh? Why is it that all sensors are not back-lit now?
10-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #43
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
This is not a back-lit sensor or it would say so, eh? Why is it that all sensors are not back-lit now?
The tech is still relatively new in consumer products (about 4-5 years). It seems to mostly be used for smaller sensors (in point-and-shoots and cell phones) as they are much more prone to noise than larger sensors.

Adam

10-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Google search Nikon Sony sensor collaboration returns 20 hits at the top, including Luminous-Landscape
There was a rumor that Nikon was leasing fab space from Sony. That has been years ago.

Those 20 hits are "Rumor" sites or postings from unknown people on forums.

Per PetaPixel Sony has to wait 6-12 months to use Nikon-collaborated sensors in its own cameras.
The "PetaPixel" link goes to a Sony "rumor" site.

Another PetaPixel article: ChipWorks reverse engineers Nikon-designed Sony sensors. The article also refers to Nikon's foundry partner Renesas.
Nikon is using at least 4 different sensor producers (including Sony). I don't see anything in those links that proves anything other than some rumors that keep circling back on themselves and news that Sony is functioning as a foundry for Nikon.

I don't doubt that 7 years ago Nikon and Sony worked together on the 25MP sensor for the D3x, but I have never seen proof of it. There seems to be credibility to that rumor, but I haven't seen anything since then other than rumor sites and posts by unknown people on the internet. I was looking at buying the A900 at that time and I was on a lot of the Sony forums and following Sony news.

One of the possible reasons the Pentax 16MP sensor is applying NR to RAW files at ISO 1600 and up and NONE of the other Sony made sensors are doing it might be because Pentax/Hoya worked on the design of that sensor.
10-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The thinner BSI sensors have heat issues and the larger the sensor the more heat becomes a problem. BSI technology will move up to larger sensor if they can solve that problem.