Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why can't people w/ the preproduction sensor just pop the mirror up in sensor cleaning mode and take a macro photo of it? If it looks like the Toshiba one, it's Toshiba. The amp pattern is probably different between Toshiba and Sony sensors...

10-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Now it's a bit clearer; you used another, competing third party (it's been pointed out that you've been banned from DPR) as a source to relay a "confirmation", despite having a direct line to Ricoh in Japan?
Against my better judgement I relented.

boriscleto'ed again.
10-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everything, in the end, is made by Sony.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
No need to be sorry about watching videos on the K-3

I really hope it is a Sony sensor esp. if it's a new generation one. Some are assuming due to the sensor resolution specs that it's a Toshiba sensor. However others assumed the OMD-EM5 came with a Panasonic sensor for the same reason, until it was later confirmed it was a Sony one.
What if the Toshiba sensor is actually designed by Sony and fabbed by Toshiba? We're through the looking glass here, people.
10-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
What if the Toshiba sensor is actually designed by Sony and fabbed by Toshiba? We're through the looking glass here, people.
Then everybody is right and everybody can be happy (from the glass is half full perspective).

10-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #110
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
There could actually be some legs on this.

As many of us are finding out, all the Japanese companies have large amounts of cooperation between each other for the good of their industries as a whole. Vicious enemies, as perceived by the public, actually collaborate behind the scenes to create better products and also keep production costs down or more efficient when limited capacity is available.

So it could be perfectly reasonable to wonder if Sony did make it as a subcontractor for Toshiba, but it's pure speculation. However, it still says little about whether it's a "Toshiba" or "Sony" sensor because that is the key here- who designed it and how it performs and they appear to perform very differently.
10-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #111
Banned

What company makes the top rated sensors in the camera sensor ratings list from DxOMark ?
Camera Sensor Ratings - DxOMark
10-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #112
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Now it's a bit clearer; you used another, competing third party (it's been pointed out that you've been banned from DPR) as a source to relay a "confirmation", despite having a direct line to Ricoh in Japan?
Whoever pointed that out is wrong.

My post on this forum was a good faith effort to clarify something that people were asking about. It wasn't correct. Move on and you'll get a definitive answer soon.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2013, 12:35 PM - 2 Likes   #113
Veteran Member

10-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It just doesn't matter. The question is what Pentax is able to do with the sensor that they get. And why get on to Adam about his statement? Once he discovered his error, looks to me like he fixed it. Of all the specs to get worked up about, this isn't a big deal. It's not as though Adam was hinting that this was a full frame camera and it wasn't or, that it was another 16 megapixels sensor when it wasn't. Frankly, I would have a hard time knowing who made the sensor in the K5 II if someone didn't tell me. It isn't as though something flashes up when you turn it on that says "SONY Sensor inside!"
10-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It isn't as though something flashes up when you turn it on that says "SONY Sensor inside!"
Maybe camera manufacturers should start doing this. Computer manufacturers have done it as long as i can remember. "Sony Mega Ultra Super duper Inside" With a blue ring around it.....................Or not.
10-10-2013, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #116
Pentaxian

Whatever happens, by all means we should keep this thread going. We can't stop now - not while there are still some fingers left to point!
10-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #117
Pentaxian

just do us all a favour and stop with this nonsense
10-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #118
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
What company makes the top rated sensors in the camera sensor ratings list from DxOMark ?
Nikon.
10-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #119
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfie Quote
Nikon.
Confirmed: the sensor inside the Nikon D800 is made by Sony | Nikon Rumors
iFixit tears down the Nikon D600 - Chipworks confirms Sony sensor: Digital Photography Review
10-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #120
Veteran Member

All this finger-pointing and sniping is ridiculous, I wish you'd all stop it.

However, I'll add that I'm the owner of a chart singer's main fan site and in Adam's situation, I would have said "it's been reported that..." and the members would know what I meant, but I have been known occasionally to use the wrong word until it's pointed out, and then I edit to correct.

They know that if I say that I've confirmed it with the artist's management, then it really is official, and not otherwise. We all use the wrong word occasionally, and I do mean everyone - no exceptions. Let's move on for goodness sake, I eagerly await the answer!

Last edited by Dave L; 10-10-2013 at 01:23 PM.