Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 pef/dng readable in Lightroom 3.6?

I need to consider the upgrade cost, new software, new hardware etc...

Will the dng file be readable in older lightroom?

Thanks.

10-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

DNG's are universal, so the answer is most likely "yes". As for the PEF files, it depends on if you can get the latest version of the raw plugin.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #3

DNG's are supposed to be universal but another thread has suggested that there are problems with Lightroom because Ricoh/Pentax has produced a non-standard version. If true, this not acceptable. K3's are expensive enough without having to factor in extra costs for software (including software bundled with cameras) and / or the hardware to run it. (Incidentally, the later applies to the software bundled bundled with the K50 for OSX. It requires OSX 8 which require pretty up to date hardware.) Ricoh has to think out of the box in this issue. and ask themselves how useable a camera is / will be on existing and (importantly) also earlier versions of hardware and software such as 32 bit Macs, Version 3 of Lightrooom, Version 11 of Elements etc., to help minimise the additional costs of owning the camera. Many potential buyers will put off purchase if they find that they are only going to get half a camera; i.e. JPEG but not RAW (DNG or PEF). There is significantly less money around at the moment for discretionary luxury items which, unless you have a really serious comercial reason for purchase, the K3 is. Ricoh/Pentax need the sales, particularly as they seem to be withdrawing the K5 and K5ii so the less costly it is to purchase the better!
12-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lochness Quote
If true, this not acceptable.
It's not 100% true. Lightroom 4 and 5 open K-3 DNG's with basically no problem. I've used both with K-3 files. Lightroom 3 will probably do so too.

There are some new features in the camera - multi-AWB for example - that LR's reading of the DNG's has some problem with if you use multi-AWB, but that seems a problem with LR, not DNG.

12-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DNG is backward compatible. If software supports the new it will support the old. Not vice versa.
12-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I need to consider the upgrade cost, new software,
The best reason to upgrade is that LR 4 and 5 use a much improved rendering process engine. I've resuscitated images from years ago that I gave up on.

M