Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #15106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Roswell?

Looking for some extra terrestrial life?

If he's looking in Roswell, it's rather the wrong place. Last I checked, it's still on earth.

03-02-2015, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #15107
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
If he's looking in Roswell, it's rather the wrong place. Last I checked, it's still on earth.
Google Roswell 1947.
03-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #15108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Google Roswell 1947.
Oh, i know what you're talking about. But if it's on earth, it's technically not extraterrestrial any more, even if it is in origin.
03-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #15109

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, i know what you're talking about. But if it's on earth, it's technically not extraterrestrial any more, even if it is in origin.
So then, if I travel to Norway does that mean I would then be Norwegian and no longer be a US citizen?

03-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #15110
Pentaxian

Oh, miss smarty pants is going strong today.

---------- Post added 03-02-15 at 12:18 PM ----------

So then, if I travel to Norway does that mean I would then be Norwegian and no longer be a US citizen?
In geographic time or human time? If its a visit of a million years or so, you're Norwegian.

Last edited by normhead; 03-02-2015 at 11:12 AM.
03-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #15111
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Google Roswell 1947.
I googled it and everything was in French.

So I then clicked on the "Images" button and well ... to be honest, Big P ... you look like you're a bit "under the weather".

Hope that you feel better soon ... SantÚ, J

---------- Post added 03-02-15 at 18:21 ----------

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooa again ... am I in trouble here ?!
03-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #15112
Veteran Member

Citizen is a weirdly ingrained, deeply personal and difficult to define term that is a bag of snakes i prefer to avoid at most to all costs. You would, however, be a Norwegian resident, technically speaking.

---------- Post added 03-02-2015 at 06:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Oh, miss smarty pants is going strong today
Yep, you've understood. But really, when am i ever not being a bit of a smartass?
03-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #15113
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
that is a bag of snakes i prefer to avoid at most to all costs.
You make it sound like there would be something bad about a bag of snakes.

03-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #15114
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You make it sound like there would be something bad about a bag of snakes.
Ditto ... when and where I was a kid, something like that was almost as good as X-mas.
03-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #15115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Ditto ... when and where I was a kid, something like that was almost as good as X-mas.
If you give a bunch of little boys a chance to be a bunch of little boys, and make the girls go eeeeewwwww, they will.
03-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #15116

You would, however, be a Norwegian resident, technically speaking.
But I would only be visiting, not staying permanently.

I spent 5 years driving a semi truck, visited all of the Lower 48 States and 6 Canadian Provinces, covering well in excess of 750,000 miles. Although I have slept in each and every one, on many days I would drive across 4 or 5 states without stopping, save for a lunch break.

Now I have been a resident of Washington state continuously since 1970, and also lived here for two years from 1966 to 1967 (the majority of my life, thus far). So I cannot even conceive how during that 5 years I was a resident of 48 US states and 6 Canadian provinces.

I never paid taxes in any of those jurisdictions (save for those that levy sales taxes where I may have made a purchase). I never took up permanent residence in any (I almost always slept and ate in my truck but did on occasion get a room for the night here or there). My Commercial Driver's License is issued by the state in which I reside and declare residence in.

Even when Bambi committed suicide on the front of one of the trucks that I drove while passing through Buffalo, Wyoming and I was compelled to stay at a motel for a few days whilst waiting for repairs to be made to my truck, I still maintained a permanent residence in Washington.

So unless I took up permanent residence, and changed my citizenship, I would only be a visitor to Norway.

And visitors from other worlds (if there really are any) would still remain extraterrestrials or aliens, unless they also chose to make a change in status.
03-02-2015, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #15117
Pentaxian

You would, however, be a Norwegian resident, technically speaking.
Not if the intended purpose of one's stay is only short-term travelling such as holiday, business etc. Spending a couple of days in Rome doesn't make me a resident of Italy, similarly accidentally crashing your spacecraft on a foreign planet and being abducted by its government doesn't make you a resident of that planet.

But for extraterrestrial life I'd focus my attention on far away Goldilocks zones instead - I think I'd be more productive on Cerro Paranal or in Llano de Chajnantor

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 03-02-2015 at 12:02 PM.
03-02-2015, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #15118
Pentaxian

And visitors from other worlds (if there really are any) would still remain extraterrestrials or aliens, unless they also chose to make a change in status.
Great, now I'm picturing E.T. picking a number in a waiting room somewhere in an immigration authority building and trying to explain to a grumpy lady behind a counter that he doesn't have any form of acceptable identity documentation
03-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #15119

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Great, now I'm picturing E.T. picking a number in a waiting room somewhere in an immigration authority building and trying to explain to a grumpy lady behind a counter that he doesn't have any form of acceptable identity documentation
That's it!
03-02-2015, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #15120
Site Supporter

But I would only be visiting, not staying permanently.
Ah, but you wouldn't know until you got here! I know several people who just came visiting but never left - which will eventually qualify as "staying permanently" if they prolong their "visit" a few more decades (well, hopefully).

QuoteQuote:
So unless I took up permanent residence, and changed my citizenship, I would only be a visitor to Norway.
Nah, taking up permanent residence will qualify for being a resident, I think.

QuoteQuote:
Aren't we all made from stardust, hmm? (Ok, according to some theories - not going into a debate over this by any means! )

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Not if the intended purpose of one's stay is only short-term travelling such as holiday, business etc. Spending a couple of days in Rome doesn't make me a resident of Italy, similarly accidentally crashing your spacecraft on a foreign planet and being abducted by its government doesn't make you a resident of that planet.
Ok, I suppose forced residency wouldn't count. If it had happened, I mean

It does happen to people all the time, of course, when they are really stupid and committing something being considered a serious crime in a place where lifetime imprisonment or death penalty are practiced. Very permanent but also very forced. So sure, I wouldn't consider myself a resident of Singapore should the police there catch me with funny pharmaceuticals