Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2015, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #16411
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's successful aging....

QuoteQuote:
The most frequent significant correlates of the various definitions of successful aging were age (young-old), nonsmoking, and absence of disability, arthritis, and diabetes. Moderate support was found for greater physical activity, more social contacts, better self-rated health, absence of depression and cognitive impairment, and fewer medical conditions. Gender, income, education, and marital status generally did not relate to successful aging.

As for the hypothesis that exercise doesn't affect mortality.... that doesn't appear to be the case, Yo might want to give this a read.
QuoteQuote:
The hypothesis that physical activity and physical fit- Tness promote health and longevity is not new. As far back as 2500 BC in ancient China, we find records of organized exercise for health promotion (28). Today, there is clear evidence to support this hypothesis (48).
http://www.indiana.edu/~k562/articles/role/Lee%20PA%20morbidity.pdf

Not only is there clear evidence exercise reduces mortality, there is also evidence that up to a point, more is better.

04-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #16412
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And I have to say, having Tess as my personal live in trainer keeps me on the exercise machines and weights. It used to be about being fit and looking good. Now it's about keeping myself as healthy as possible. Nothing is better for joints and pains than a tailor made work out. Some of my exercises now, I can't even lift any weight, just the empty bar, but it keeps me flexible and moving. It hurts if I do it, but it hurts more if I don't do it, a week or two later.

Reminds me of a common view of physiotherapists: that they specify very painful exercises.

When I use the paracetamol, which I find more effective than other types, I usually take it in the largest recommended single does and then can take longer intervals to the next one than recommended so I take at a much lower rate than the maximum recommended daily dose. I am glad that the events that cause me to take it are rare.
04-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #16413
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Actually, the mortality rate for people who exercise and eat a healthy diet is exactly the same as for those who don't.
Obesity would be the number two factor ... but, yes, smoking seems to trump all for insurance companies.

Exercising, healthy-eating, non-drinking, young non-smokers (I'm sure that's all of us) - should have the lowest premiums.

Pass the bacon and my pipe, please ...
04-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #16414
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
My paternal grandfather is 93 now and moving, but not much. He declined quite rapidly over the last two years or so after a couple of injuries, both physically and mentally. Until he was 88 or so he was still happily cycling around.

My maternal grandfather was strong than me at 28 when he was 80. At least, he had learned all the ways to maximise capacity through skilful handling of heavy stuff. He had to have a should reconstruction at 88 which never came good so it was hard for him to put big rusty cast iron parts in the 4 jaw chuck of the lathe. We were worried he would not tighten it right and he would be injured by the part coming out of the lathe. He finally had to stop work when his eye failed. He lived to 99 and died on Christmas Day.

04-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #16415
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
As for the hypothesis that exercise doesn't affect mortality.... that doesn't appear to be the case, Yo might want to give this a read.
I stand by my original statement. The mortality rate is the same for everyone, regardless of lifestyle and I defy anyone to show evidence that there is anything any of us can do to avoid death. The mortality rate among Homo Sapiens is 100%. Always has been and likely always will be.
04-11-2015, 02:41 PM - 2 Likes   #16416
Loyal Site Supporter

I stand by my original statement. The mortality rate is the same for everyone, regardless of lifestyle and I defy anyone to show evidence that there is anything any of us can do to avoid death. The mortality rate among Homo Sapiens is 100%. Always has been and likely always will be.
T-shirt: "Eat Well, Exercise Properly - Die Anyway".
04-11-2015, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #16417
Site Supporter

Actually, the mortality rate for people who exercise and eat a healthy diet is exactly the same as for those who don't.

But sometimes I feel sorry for the excessively round people for whom their weight seems to be a major burden resulting in them only being able to waddle about.

Other times I wonder how they did not notice life was becoming difficult and do something to cease the increase in mass before it became truly burdensome to them.
04-11-2015, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #16418
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Other times I wonder how they did not notice life was becoming difficult and do something to cease the increase in mass before it became truly burdensome to them.
We all know what we're *supposed* to do in life, Tim!

Can be hard - despite efforts of friends and family - to give up a pattern of buying food, drugs, alcohol, lenses ...

04-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #16419
Site Supporter

Yes, and that has been observed for a long time. In the Song of Roland the phrase "he died and the worm took him" was used many times, indicating how mater-of-factly the medieval found the matter of passing.
04-11-2015, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #16420
Site Supporter

Getting too deep for me, I'll wait for the bacon and cheese to make its return.

Oh hell, I'll bite.
As a toddler my dad found me turning up a jar of kerosene, this was back in the late 1940's.
He rushed me to the doctor, I puked all the way there, and the Doc said that's what saved me.
At age five I was bitten by a dog, and luckily we found out in time that it was rabid.
Got the shots and survived.
In my mid fifties I had to get a pacemaker for an electrical short in my heart. (didn't even know we had electricity in our bodies before then)
In my mid sixties I had prostrate cancer.
It was removed, that threat gone.

Maybe I should get a K3, surely I'm living on borrowed time.
04-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #16421
Site Supporter

Bacon...
04-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #16422
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheese wrapped bacon, with a side of Blooming Onion.
04-11-2015, 05:56 PM - 2 Likes   #16423
Pentaxian

You and Jim Morrison. "No one here gets out alive."
04-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #16424
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

04-11-2015, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #16425
Site Supporter