Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #16516
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just back from an outing to the local Dickey's BBQ Pit, a lovely brisket, spicy cheddar sausage, and fried okra to boost the spirits, load me up on protein for bone growth, and give an excuse to be out enjoying a lovely day in Pugetropolis! ��

And then all I hear in here is talk of food - shocking I tell ya...

Or maybe not��

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............

Jim

04-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #16517
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Hmm, missed opportunity

My daughter is currently visiting SA from NZ; I should have asked her to bring some NZ lamb. Could have done a direct comparison during a 'braai'.
Ha! Indeed you could have.

---------- Post added 04-17-15 at 11:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote
oh, for Chrissakes, Mark, leave my lambs alone, willya??
Shall we stick to bacon then!?!?

---------- Post added 04-17-15 at 11:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well, not entirely.

Many vehicles manufactured in the US since about the mid to late 1970's have a mix of JIS (metric) and SAE fasteners. Having spent most of my adult life (And all of my pre-adult life! My earliest memory is disassembling a metal toy as a toddler. ) working on anything mechanical, I can attest to the odd mixture of JIS and SAE nuts and bolts on so called American cars, pickups, light and heavy trucks and construction equipment.

One quickly learns to pick them out at a glance, or they find another line of work.
I had none of these problems with my '75 Ford F-100, nor with the three '57 Ford's I've owned. Those all use non metric fasteners. I never needed to own a metric socket set until that '83 Oldsmobile!
04-17-2015, 12:02 AM   #16518
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Racer, thanks for the 'like' on my lamb image.
I almost didn't bother to check on the generous soul that liked it: I knew it would be you!
You are so very welcome my friend!

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
btw - it was delicious.
I bet it was.
04-17-2015, 12:11 AM   #16519
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
And then all I hear in here is talk of food - shocking I tell ya...
Does it make you hungry Jim?

04-17-2015, 01:56 AM   #16520
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Get Ms R to try it as a Turkish-style lighter meal, shredded with salad, garlic and chili sauces, wrapped in a flat bread, with a beer or white wine.
Well, I will try. But Mrs. Racer is funny about things. If she decides that something is not to her tastes, it doesn't matter how it is prepared, she won't like it.

Take tilapia, for instance. Tilapia is delicious. The texture is perfect. She read that farmed tilapia is raised on the feces from other animals. So she refuses to eat it.

But get this.

She loves shellfish, especially oysters.

I do too, except that I am not so crazy about the oysters. Since we eat everything that is inside the shell, we are eating the organs, digestive tract, and whatever the oyster has been eating and has not yet expelled.

I somehow find that odd.

And cannot work out how whole oysters are any different than a fish that has been swimming in poop. After all, every fish we eat swims in excrement, really. They all poop in the same water they swim in, right?

I mean, there isn't a fish toilet that handles their wastes and sends it to the sewage treatment plant, is there?
04-17-2015, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #16521
Veteran Member

Take tilapia, for instance. Tilapia is delicious. The texture is perfect. She read that farmed tilapia is raised on the feces from other animals. So she refuses to eat it.

When I was growing up, tilapia was a trash fish. You might use it for bait, but we never, ever ate it. To this day, I will not order it at a restaurant. I chuckle when some places fancy it up like it is a delicacy and then charge ridiculous prices for it.

In a way, it is kind of like lobster, if you know the history of it in the northeast US. The native Americans would not eat it and simply piled it high on the beaches to rot.
04-17-2015, 04:41 AM   #16522
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey Racer-X,

Just in case you miss the old days on the road. The guy making the video says two dead, but the news report says no fatalities. A few colorful words in the video. As someone who drives a lot as part of my job, this has always been my biggest fear. I drive a car and have had a few close calls that could have easily turned into this. Plenty of crazy people out there.

22 injured in 3 major Wyoming pileups

Last edited by gaweidert; 04-17-2015 at 05:09 AM.
04-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #16523
Pentaxian

Does it make you hungry Jim?
No more than any other day 😎

---------- Post added Apr 17th, 2015 at 09:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Hey Racer-X,

Just in case you miss the old days on the road. The guy making the video says two dead, but the news report says no fatalities. A few colorful words in the video. As someone who drives a lot as part of my job, this has always been my biggest fear. I drive a car and have had a few close calls that could have easily turned into this. Plenty of crazy people out there.

22 injured in 3 major Wyoming pileups

Wyoming I 80 East and Westbound Multi Car Crash - YouTube
Damn... Could have been a car or a big rig that started it, but there were obviously way too many idiots going too fast for the road & visibility conditions...
Jim
04-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #16524
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
No
Damn... Could have been a car or a big rig that started it, but there were obviously way too many idiots going too fast for the road & visibility conditions...
Jim

My reaction, for the conditions.
04-18-2015, 04:57 AM   #16525

Re.: K-3 Advice

Yes, with Pentax DSLR you need and least 3 (three) bake-ups of your k3: One being shipped (ON, Canada preferred), one faullty and the one in service [center] for 7 months.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by Brandon S. Quote
Is it a good idea to bake my k3
04-18-2015, 05:42 AM   #16526
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
When I was growing up, tilapia was a trash fish. You might use it for bait, but we never, ever ate it. To this day, I will not order it at a restaurant. I chuckle when some places fancy it up like it is a delicacy and then charge ridiculous prices for it.

In a way, it is kind of like lobster, if you know the history of it in the northeast US. The native Americans would not eat it and simply piled it high on the beaches to rot.
On the other hand, us northerners sometimes bury perfectly good fish in the ground for a few months to rot and then serve it as a delicacy. go figure.
04-18-2015, 05:50 AM   #16527

You mean - alive?

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
bury perfectly good fish
04-18-2015, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #16528
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
You mean - alive?

-----
No silly. Do you think we are savages up here?
04-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #16529
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
04-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #16530
Pentaxian

I take the fifth....

QuoteQuote:
On the other hand, us northerners sometimes bury perfectly good fish in the ground for a few months to rot and then serve it as a delicacy. go figure.
Though I tend to think of myself as a northerner, on this side of the atlantic we "savages" take a fish bury it in the gourd, and plant beans, corn and squash (the three sisters) on it. My guess is we probably get both more and better tasting food that way. But hey, what do I know?

You guys just leave out step 3, for some reason I'll never understand.

1. Catch fish.
2. Bury in ground.
3 Plant vegetables on top of fish.
4. Harvest and eat.

Maybe you ran out of seed one year or something?

Last edited by normhead; 04-18-2015 at 08:46 AM.