Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #17116
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Leeches? Ok, at least I can steer around a fire ant pile.
My only time dealing with leeches was in 1987, on a remote fly-in lake in Canada, and we caught the hell out of walleye using them for bait.

05-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #17117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My only time dealing with leeches was in 1987, on a remote fly-in lake in Canada, and we caught the hell out of walleye using them for bait.
I've heard that putting a leach on a bar of soap has a rather amusing affect.
05-15-2015, 01:20 AM   #17118
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know that all life is sacred etc etc, but I'm willing to make exceptions in the cases of blackberries, sandflies and leeches. :-)
05-15-2015, 04:26 AM   #17119

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Don't look to me for help. I'm on a road trip remember.
Not much time for helping on the interwebby. . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . So you couldn't expect me to wake up the thread. Should it be the job of Parallax to moderate the thread so all the posts don't bunch up at one time of the day? 17 hours was an excessive pause, eh?
I kinda like the conversational feel when posts are bunched up. If you think about it, when that is happening, we are essentially all sitting about together, conversing. And most, if not all are having a beverage and/or a meal.

A social hour, if you will.

When posts are spread out, it is more like one stops in and scribbles something on a PostIt Note, then sticks it on the board. Then another of us pops in, reads one or more Post It Notes, replies maybe, or scribbles out a half dozen or so, then splits. Somewhere in there the M0dUlAt0r rides through and cleans house if needed, cracks the whip or rattles a sabre to keep us all moving in the right direction. We don't mind though, because we like our Marshall a lot.

Too busy moaning about the rain and yesterday went to Cape Otway - Mrs G moaned about the cold (6c but wind chill made it about -300... slight exaggeration guess!)
Rain?

No problem. It makes things grow.

6c?

Shirtsleeve weather up here!

I climbed up inside the lighthouse (1848-1994 - now decommissioned: I guess we don't care about ships' safety now!) No room for even an iPad climbing the 76 steps and then the steel ladder! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . .btw - they didn't use any cenemt in the construction of the light house!! The stone blocks are just sitting on top of one another!!! Even the stone (76) steps are just hanging from space or something. Seems to me the lighthouse keeper was more at risk than the sailors and their cargo/passengers!!
Lighthouses are so interesting. So this one sounds about 18 meters (60 feet) tall or so?

I bet the steps were let into the outer wall. Is the center of the interior open? What is the diameter of the structure?

Is there a residence for the caretaker?

So many questions, I know!

These days with GPS navigation and radar, lighthouses are not needed for maritime safety. But they clearly are a testament to the scope of the breadth of man's accomplishments. Most are also unique and were created by master craftsmen, and intended to endure extremes of weather.

05-15-2015, 04:57 AM   #17120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I know that all life is sacred etc etc, but I'm willing to make exceptions in the cases of blackberries, sandflies and leeches. :-)
The others I get. but blackberries? really?
05-15-2015, 05:28 AM   #17121
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The info on leeches is both fascinating and disgusting.
05-15-2015, 06:15 AM   #17122
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
The others I get. but blackberries? really?

I have a strong negative taste reaction to blackberries too. In fact. all types of raspberries. Red or black. My wife has a bout 25 different names for them but to me the effect is all the same. Think fingernails running down a blackboard and that is the sensation I get from eating blackberries/raspberries or whatever.

Clackers and I must have a distant common ancestor. Is there an Arlidge in your past?
05-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #17123
Site Supporter

I'll go out on a limb here and say I think clackers is talking about the prickly blackberry bushes, not the berries.

05-15-2015, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #17124
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Consider this: A blackberry is still green when it's red.
05-15-2015, 06:39 AM   #17125
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'll go out on a limb here and say I think clackers is talking about the prickly blackberry bushes, not the berries.
Good point. Buried somewhere in my archive of transparencies is a photograph of a green snake slithering along the branches of a wild raspberry bush.
05-15-2015, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #17126
Site Supporter

Another downfall, as I remember from my childhood berry picking days, is that blackberry bushes are a haven for chiggers and ticks.

edit to add a pic of my wife's antique "berry bucket" collection.
not sure if that is what they were actually used for, some are so small.
also, photo taken with my mid-range smartphone, not a 3K since I don't, and never will own one.

Last edited by robtcorl; 05-15-2015 at 06:52 AM.
05-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #17127
Pentaxian

You are talking about the little, tasty fruits of a certain plant (Family Rosaceae, subgenus Rubus), right? Care to explain which horrible trait it has in common with sandflies and leeches?
05-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #17128
Veteran Member

Any blood sucking bug I encounter is automatically on my hit list. Ditto any bug or snake that gets into my house. I don't mind most bugs or snakes outside but I will not tolerate them inside. The only exception to that is bees, wasps and the like because I am highly allergic and they have to stay away from me, period. I don't mind most creatures in their proper place, outdoors, but once they cross the threshold of my house uninvited we do have a problem.

There are some things like lizards that I will try to catch and put back outside but I'm not too into chasing spiders and the like. If it's an easy catch into a jar then I try, but I draw the line at catching anything as big as my fist or toxic. I will not touch those huge grayish furry spiders that we get down here or the so called Palmetto bugs. The former I spray the crap out of them with bug spray and cover them with a glass mixing bowl and a piece of brick that I keep around for just that purpose. I leave them there until I know they are dead then flush them. The latter I either kill with a shoe if there is no cat handy or more often just let the cats handle it because they love hunting them and I don't mind letting them have some fun, grin. So long as they drop them at my feed dead, I'm cool with them seeing them as cool moving, flying cat toys...
05-15-2015, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #17129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I don't mind most creatures in their proper place, outdoors, but once they cross the threshold of my house uninvited we do have a problem.
Reminds me of this

05-15-2015, 08:16 AM   #17130
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Reminds me of this
Hey, that's a bit how I feel at times...
« K-3 locks up | - »