Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2015, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #17296
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,070
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
A sign from my trip along the Great Ocean Road (Victoria, Aust);



It underlines the number of tourists that use this road.
I missed getting the sign that said to keep away from the unstable cliffs and..."you will DIE"


We laugh but it is not nice dealing with the people who have been meat wagoned and are now under repair in the large antiseptic smelling hotel. Must be awful for them too being laid up in hospital in a foreign country where even talking the language is difficult. One lady who had had such an incident was most impressed with the Victorian insurance policy for personal injury, it covered all her expenses for the hospital for three months (big repairs needed) and it even covered her mother's accommodation in the hospital hostel and travel expenses up to some large enough amount because, coming from overseas, her mother had to travel more than the 100km from home threshold for that payment.

05-25-2015, 02:32 AM   #17297
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,499
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
I've used the Sony A7, Nikon D610, Canon 6D, Pentax K3 and I like the Pentax K3 best. Compact and the controls are fantastic.


It would be nice if the K3 came in a similar sized cam with FF 36 mp sensor and it had an option to order the cam with a shutter speed dial to replace the program dial (old school style) but those are the only changes I'd make...love it as-is!


If no FF can be made in similar size, then the 24MP model is fine for me. It is an outstanding blend of size, quality and performance in a bargain priced package.
Now just what in tarnation are you jabberin' about there Jethro?
05-25-2015, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #17298
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,499
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Don't forget wine ... bottles are too limiting. Try a keg ...
Finally got around to showing us your basement I see. Nice place John.

I don't suppose you have a cask of Amontillado, do you?
05-25-2015, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #17299
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,499
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
He misspelt "misspelt".


Miss Pelt.

Hey, I know her!

05-25-2015, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #17300
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wangaratta, Victoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,111
A couple of early morning shots (at about SUNRISE!)







---------- Post added 05-25-2015 at 08:38 PM ----------

...and a couple more





05-25-2015, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #17301
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,445
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Finally got around to showing us your basement I see. Nice place John.

I don't suppose you have a cask of Amontillado, do you?
That is hidden in a "special place" ...

05-25-2015, 03:45 AM   #17302
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,913
In Australia you have funny named towns and you paint you Coast Guard ships the wrong colors. The Coast Guard ships should be red, white and blue. Plus you need to rename your towns to more normal names like Canandaigua. Canaseraga, Skaneateles, or even Horseheads. Of course it is the Welsh who have raised town naming to an art form.
05-25-2015, 04:08 AM   #17303
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wangaratta, Victoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,111
You may remember Hank Snow's version of "I've been everywhere man"
Well it was preceded by the original Australian version sung by Lucky Star.


Now, where are the "funny" names?


The Australian version starts: Well, I was humpin' my bluey[nb 1] on the dusty Oodnadatta road, When along came a semi with a high and canvas covered load, 'If you're goin' to Oodnadatta, mate, um, with me you can ride,' so I climbed in the cabin, and I settled down inside, He asked me if i'd seen a road with so much dust and sand, I said listen mate, I've traveled every road in this here land. 'Cause...
The toponyms listed are:
Verse 1Tullamore, Seymour, Lismore, Mooloolaba, Nambour, Maroochydore, Kilmore, Murwillumbah, Birdsville, Emmaville, Wallaville, Cunnamulla, Condamine, Strathpine, Proserpine, Ulladulla, Darwin, Gin Gin, Deniliquin, Muckadilla, Wallumbilla, Boggabilla, Kumbarilla.
Verse 2Moree, Taree, Jerilderie, Bambaroo, Toowoomba, Gunnedah, Caringbah, Woolloomooloo, Dalveen, Tamborine, Engadine, Jindabyne, Lithgow, Casino, Brigalow, Narromine, Megalong, Wyong, Tuggerawong, Wanganella, Morella, Augathella, Brindabella
Verse 3Wollongong, Geelong, Kurrajong, Mullumbimby, Mittagong, Cooranbong, Grong Grong, Goondiwindi, Yarra Yarra,
[3] Bouindarra, Wallangarra, Turramurra, Boggabri, Gundagai, Narrabri, Tibooburra, Gulgong, Adelong, Billabong, Cabramatta, Parramatta, Wangaratta, Coolangatta
Verse 4Ettalong, Dandenong, Woodenbong, Ballarat, Canberra, Milperra, Unanderra, Captains Flat, Cloncurry, River Murray, Kurri Kurri, Girraween, Terrigal, Stockinbingal, Collaroy, Narrabeen, Bendigo, Dorrigo, Bangalow, Indooroopilly, Kirribilli, Yeerongpilly, Wollondilly

---------- Post added 05-25-2015 at 09:13 PM ----------

and I can't understand why he didn't get the likes of Wagga Wagga and Walla Walla in there somehow.

05-25-2015, 04:43 AM   #17304
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,115
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Plus you need to rename your towns to more normal names like Canandaigua. Canaseraga, Skaneateles, or even Horseheads.
Better than the American custom of just recycling European names, with the occasional 'New' added
05-25-2015, 04:55 AM   #17305
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wangaratta, Victoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,111
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Better than the American custom of just recycling European names, with the occasional 'New' added

That happened in Australia too, although I can't think of any "News", except New South Wales and New England (Which are state and region, respectively)
The Dutch used to call us New Holland.
A lot of our non-English, non-Scottish, names are from the locality's Aboriginal name (or at least as close as the poms could get to pronouncing it!)
Oh, I just remembered New Norfolk in Tasmania, and Newborough (where I grew up, and it wouldn't count!!)
05-25-2015, 04:59 AM   #17306
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,070
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
You may remember Hank Snow's version of "I've been everywhere man"
Well it was preceded by the original Australian version sung by Lucky Star.


Now, where are the "funny" names?


The Australian version starts: Well, I was humpin' my bluey[nb 1] on the dusty Oodnadatta road, When along came a semi with a high and canvas covered load, 'If you're goin' to Oodnadatta, mate, um, with me you can ride,' so I climbed in the cabin, and I settled down inside, He asked me if i'd seen a road with so much dust and sand, I said listen mate, I've traveled every road in this here land. 'Cause...
The toponyms listed are:
Verse 1Tullamore, Seymour, Lismore, Mooloolaba, Nambour, Maroochydore, Kilmore, Murwillumbah, Birdsville, Emmaville, Wallaville, Cunnamulla, Condamine, Strathpine, Proserpine, Ulladulla, Darwin, Gin Gin, Deniliquin, Muckadilla, Wallumbilla, Boggabilla, Kumbarilla.
Verse 2Moree, Taree, Jerilderie, Bambaroo, Toowoomba, Gunnedah, Caringbah, Woolloomooloo, Dalveen, Tamborine, Engadine, Jindabyne, Lithgow, Casino, Brigalow, Narromine, Megalong, Wyong, Tuggerawong, Wanganella, Morella, Augathella, Brindabella
Verse 3Wollongong, Geelong, Kurrajong, Mullumbimby, Mittagong, Cooranbong, Grong Grong, Goondiwindi, Yarra Yarra,
[3] Bouindarra, Wallangarra, Turramurra, Boggabri, Gundagai, Narrabri, Tibooburra, Gulgong, Adelong, Billabong, Cabramatta, Parramatta, Wangaratta, Coolangatta
Verse 4Ettalong, Dandenong, Woodenbong, Ballarat, Canberra, Milperra, Unanderra, Captains Flat, Cloncurry, River Murray, Kurri Kurri, Girraween, Terrigal, Stockinbingal, Collaroy, Narrabeen, Bendigo, Dorrigo, Bangalow, Indooroopilly, Kirribilli, Yeerongpilly, Wollondilly

---------- Post added 05-25-2015 at 09:13 PM ----------

and I can't understand why he didn't get the likes of Wagga Wagga and Walla Walla in there somehow.

And Yunta, Gerang Gerung, Ki Ki, Coomandook, Coonalpyn, and to make Jean happy: Cambrai, Sedan, Vimy Ridge, Verdun, Marne River, The Somme, all fairly near to Hahndorf (named after a German).


And near Hahndorf is Beerenberg - a supplier of good jams and pickles etc. (Are we allowed to talk about them on this thread?)

---------- Post added 05-25-15 at 09:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Better than the American custom of just recycling European names, with the occasional 'New' added


Or naming towns after products, such as Corning, Hershey and similar.
05-25-2015, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #17307
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wangaratta, Victoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,111
For Norm and Zoe, a few sunset/evening shots; no cloud so not spectacular skies.
(but it does prove that I am still awake late enough to see the sun sink below the horizon.
















---------- Post added 05-25-2015 at 10:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
(Are we allowed to talk about them on this thread?)

A bit dicey, Tim.
05-25-2015, 05:03 AM   #17308
Veteran Member
ZoeB's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tromsų, Norway
Posts: 883
I like the last one, I'm a bit of a sucker for golden light :P
05-25-2015, 05:50 AM   #17309
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,090
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Of course it is the Welsh who have raised town naming to an art form.
Yes, don't ask how you pronounce the local name unless you want to be covered in spittle afterwards! :-D
05-25-2015, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #17310
Site Supporter
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,971
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Better than the American custom of just recycling European names, with the occasional 'New' added
Some of our town names are pretty unique, as in Useful, Missouri.
(not my photos)



and some are peculiar.



One of my favorites also here in Missouri.


Last edited by robtcorl; 05-25-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
arctic cold, aussie shepherds, bacon, basque paella, beer, caffeine, camera, canada, catch 22, cheddar, cheese, dachsunds, dew, drink, dslr, gin, hair, igunaq, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, maine, marital relations, mother, mountain, norm, patent, pentax k-3, pentax lens, possums, research, ricoh, rupert, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, study, toilet, tokyo, veggies, vermont, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top