Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #17791
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
It was 20C in trondheim today. I miss winter.
Weren't you cycling around in mittens just recently?

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Damn, been to Etosha thrice, but now I want to go back again ... Are you going self-drive or organised?
We're touring the country in a 4WD. From Windhoek to Kambaku, then Etosha (from East to West), Damaraland, Cape Cross, Swakopmund, Namib Des(s)ert, then back to Windhoek.

QuoteQuote:
It's definitely the best time of day, even though (and because) it can be quite chilly. The afternoons are nice, too, but the interesting stuff always start happening just when you have to head back to camp ...
I do realise that I'm getting dangerously close to 'on-topic' here, but would you recommend taking an ND filter for landscape photography? Have been thinking about getting a 10 stop for some time, but I'm not sure whether Namibia would offer situations where it's actually useful? Not much water to smooth out and so bright during the day that 10 stop wouldn't even cut it, right? Or wrong?

06-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #17792
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
the one thing I really miss most about NE is those lovely brisk High Plains winters
For some reason Rod Stewart came to mind.
Currently 92F here with a Heat Index of 102F, UGH!

06-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #17793
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
would you recommend taking an ND filter for landscape photography? Have been thinking about getting a 10 stop for some time,
I hate to perpetuate a photography related topic here (I may have to slap myself around a bit later), but I can't think a ND filter would be all that useful for landscapes as neither large apertures nor slow shutter speeds are generally required or useful. Maybe in a few situations such as framing the distant scape with a blurred tree framing it in the foreground, or perhaps a person or group in front of a blurred landscape. To me, those would be isolated cases and the money saved by not buying one might be better used to sample the local malt beverages or cheeses. (There, that last clause should be sufficient to keep the thread somewhat off of photography.)
06-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #17794
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Yes, I know about your English.
Sometimes it's hard to convey that someone is just pulling a leg.
Lol, is he pulling that leg or running away with it?

06-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #17795
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
but I can't think a ND filter would be all that useful for landscapes
I think he meant a ND graduated filter which may be VERY useful for landscapes. Now lets get back to the regular chatter about all things hociR and why we are not going to buy them.

Steve
06-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #17796
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think he meant a ND graduated filter which may be VERY useful for landscapes. Now lets get back to the regular chatter about all things hociR and why we are not going to buy them.

Steve
Okay, I can certainly see a use in that environment for a graduated filter.
06-22-2015, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #17797
Site Supporter

Tried to figure out what the word photography means, so I googled it, couldn't find an answer, so I broke it down.

Pho: "Vietnamese noodle soup" (okay, we're good there)

tog: "The tog is a measure of thermal resistance of a unit area, also known as thermal insulance, commonly used in the textile industry, and often seen quoted on, for example, duvets and carpet underlay" (Huh?)

raphy, via the urban dictionary: "a male highly likely to, if you are dating him and refusing him sex, cheat on you with your mom"
(no comment)
06-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #17798
Pentaxian

Jim. You need to take your medication. Now.

Please?
Muahahahahahahahaha,,,,

06-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #17799
Site Supporter

Tried to figure out what the word photography means, so I googled it, couldn't find an answer, so I broke it down.

tog: "The tog is a measure of thermal resistance of a unit area, also known as thermal insulance, commonly used in the textile industry, and often seen quoted on, for example, duvets and carpet underlay" (Huh?)

raphy, via the urban dictionary: "a male highly likely to, if you are dating him and refusing him sex, cheat on you with your mom"
(no comment)
So... a cougar is getting fed hot noodle soup.
Just the thought of that is enough to keep me away from the K3.
06-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #17800
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Steve

hociR, a word not used here for a long time, and never previously by me!

---------- Post added 06-23-15 at 01:54 PM ----------

(no comment)

Is that the etymology of 'togs' = 'clothes'?

And as for a raphy - I think that says he is the kind you do not want anyway.
06-22-2015, 11:32 PM   #17801
Site Supporter

I do realise that I'm getting dangerously close to 'on-topic' here, but would you recommend taking an ND filter for landscape photography? Have been thinking about getting a 10 stop for some time, but I'm not sure whether Namibia would offer situations where it's actually useful? Not much water to smooth out and so bright during the day that 10 stop wouldn't even cut it, right? Or wrong?
I don't see much need for a pure ND filter, no. An ND grad filter might be useful although most of the landscapes are very open, and as such not particularly dark compared to the sky. Can't say I missed having a grad filter (but then again, I never have).

One thing I did miss was a polariser. Apart from the first and last 1-1.5 hours of the day the light tends to be very harsh, and there's (needless to say) plenty of rock, sand, and vegetation to reflect that light back.

Ok, to get us back on (err, off?) track; I had some very nice meals of antelope on my last trip to Namibia. Gemsbok, hartebeest, springbok, kudu... mmmm
06-23-2015, 12:08 AM   #17802
Veteran Member

Weren't you cycling around in mittens just recently?
Yeah. And now we've had three days of over 20-degree weather, so now I'm over it. I wanna go skiing.
06-23-2015, 04:00 AM   #17803
Pentaxian

I think he meant a ND graduated filter which may be VERY useful for landscapes.
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Okay, I can certainly see a use in that environment for a graduated filter.
I don't see much need for a pure ND filter, no. An ND grad filter might be useful although most of the landscapes are very open, and as such not particularly dark compared to the sky. Can't say I missed having a grad filter (but then again, I never have).
I was in fact talking about a 'pure' classic ND filter (10 stop). Thought it might be useful to achieve streaking clouds like this or blur water for sunset shots at the coast.

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Yeah. And now we've had three days of over 20-degree weather, so now I'm over it. I wanna go skiing.
Is this thermal undecidedness a Nordic trait?
06-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #17804
Veteran Member

You all are getting seriously off topic. We're supposed to be talking about things like cats, bacon, beer, pie...
Attached Images

06-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #17805
Emperor and Senpai

Cats are awesome and should always be posted.