Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #17911
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,671
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Honestly, I'm good with just puns. I may be studying physics, but i like having pun, too!


06-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #17912
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,398
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Which reminds me of the time I tried to impress a girlfriend by ordering cheeseburger in French (in Montreal). I ordered a cheeseburger and fries, I got chicken wings and fries, I never told her they couldn't understand my French. She was mightily impressed.
When I was transferred from Alaska to South Dakota back in the Seventies, my first night on the road I stopped a motel along the Alcan somewhere SE of Beaver Creek, YT. I casually went in and, in by best French, told the clerk I wanted a room for the night. He said "huh?" I repeated it and, in a fairly heavy British sounding accent informed me that French wasn't generally spoken on that end of the country. How was I supposed to know that not everybody in Canada spoke French?
06-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #17913
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,671
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
When I was transferred from Alaska to South Dakota back in the Seventies, my first night on the road I stopped a motel along the Alcan somewhere SE of Beaver Creek, YT. I casually went in and, in by best French, told the clerk I wanted a room for the night. He said "huh?" I repeated it and, in a fairly heavy British sounding accent informed me that French wasn't generally spoken on that end of the country. How was I supposed to know that not everybody in Canada spoke French?
Now that we know you know, CSIS will be paying you a visit. We want those Russian spies turning up in western Canada with heavy French accents, makes them easier to spot.
06-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #17914
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,458
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Both of them are evil, what a coincidence... I thought twins came paired off, a good one and a bad one to maintain balance in the universe.
They do, it's that just both are going to tell you the other one is evil. The good one says the evil one is evil, and the evil one (being evil) says the good one is evil.

PS: I happen to have a "twin" at work. It took me years to figure out why strangers were greeting me with 'Hi, Brian'. He's the evil one. You can trust me on this.

06-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #17915
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 7,954
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sure, I know enough to order a beer,

Stop calling me Shirley... just because you shorten it to a nick name doesn't make it right...
And really, does anyone need more english than that? Although knowing enough for few puns and to order a bacon cheesebugher would also be an advantage.

Which reminds me of the time I tried to impress a girlfriend by ordering cheeseburger in French (in Montreal). I ordered a cheeseburger and fries, I got chicken wings and fries, I never told her they couldn't understand my French. She was mightily impressed.
English? I was talking about physics

And a bacon cheeseburger usually does come with puns, doesn't it? Or maybe not in French? My French is even worse than my physics.

Umm... Yeah.
06-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #17916
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,398
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
And a bacon cheeseburger usually does come with puns, doesn't it?
Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed BPun.
Okay, now try and get the song out of your head.
06-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #17917
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 7,954
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed BPun.
Okay, now try and get the song out of your head.
I'm sorry (well, not really), but my cultural horizon isn't that wide
06-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #17918
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,905
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed BPun.
Okay, now try and get the song out of your head.
Or, as I heard once:

Two Obese Pattys, Special Ross, Lester Sheets picking bunions, on a Sesame Street Bus.



Great.

Now I'm craving junk food.

06-29-2015, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #17919
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,905
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
How was I supposed to know that not everybody in Canada spoke French?
In Canuckistan they speak Canukian.

True story.
06-29-2015, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #17920
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,398
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
In Canuckistan they speak Canukian.
I believe that's true, hey.
06-29-2015, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #17921
Site Supporter
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,113
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
In Canuckistan they speak Canukian.
A guy I once worked with (not Yogi Berra) said this:
"All languages are the same, just the words are different."
06-30-2015, 12:56 AM   #17922
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,139
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
A guy I once worked with (not Yogi Berra) said this:
"All languages are the same, just the words are different."


Sounds like me saying:
I read Ancient Greek like it is English written different.
or
when I read the Russian manual for a lens, that I could make reasonable sense of it because I know some Ancient Greek - the alphabet is not dis-similar to Cyrillic and the technical words in Russian for optics stuff are the same words English took from Greek.
or in computer programming;
C++ is like C written different. And C is like Pascal written different. And Pascal is like Fortran written different.
06-30-2015, 01:16 AM   #17923
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 7,954
And French isn't really difficult at all. E.g. "cheval" means "horse", and so on. Really very intuitive (in much the same sense that Apple products are intuitive).

Btw, греческий is Greek in Russian.

And

#include<stdio.h>
main()
{
printf("Greek");
}

is Greek in C

Ok, I'll stop now. Did I have too much coffee?
06-30-2015, 02:42 AM   #17924
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,976
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Sounds like me saying:
I read Ancient Greek like it is English written different.
or
when I read the Russian manual for a lens, that I could make reasonable sense of it because I know some Ancient Greek - the alphabet is not dis-similar to Cyrillic and the technical words in Russian for optics stuff are the same words English took from Greek.
or in computer programming;
C++ is like C written different. And C is like Pascal written different. And Pascal is like Fortran written different.
But they are all machine code written different. Some Assembly required.
06-30-2015, 03:22 AM   #17925
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 7,954
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
But they are all machine code written different. Some Assembly required.
For MS-DOS on x86?

Code:
org  0x100
mov dx, msg
mov ah, 9
int 0x21
mov ah, 0x4c
int 0x21
msg db 'Greek', 0x0d, 0x0a, '$'
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
arctic cold, aussie shepherds, bacon, basque paella, beer, caffeine, camera, canada, catch 22, cheddar, cheese, dachsunds, dew, drink, dslr, gin, hair, igunaq, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, maine, marital relations, mother, mountain, norm, patent, pentax k-3, pentax lens, possums, research, ricoh, rupert, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, study, toilet, tokyo, veggies, vermont, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top