Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #17941
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No you forgot to take your pill...you know, the large white one...
No, that was yesterday. I compensated by taking two today.

06-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #17942
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
You'd be amazed at how much of that comes back if you start studying it again. I've been trying to re-learn French, learn Italian, and learn Spanish for the past few years using Rosetta, Fluenz, and Pimsleur. The French I learned in school is coming back and the other is not so bad since I learned French...

Some of it comes back, enough to create confusion.

In Toulouse in 2004 I saw a sign on a building "Eglise Refermee ..." but read it as if it were "Ecole Reformee ..." and thought, what a strange looking institution of detention.

---------- Post added 07-01-15 at 05:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ... 99 total*

* trust me

Counting on fingers?

---------- Post added 07-01-15 at 05:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh, come on, it ain't that complicated. In parts of Northern Europe we use the same logic for the time of day. "Halv fem", literally "half five", would mean half past four. See?

The logic (yes, logic) being that you add half of the fifth hour to the four you already have.

Just as "ti på halv fem" - "ten to half five" - would be 20 minutes past four.

In parts of Germany they use the same (very logical) system more fine grained, saying "viertel fünf" - "quarter five" - for a quarter past four. And of course "drei viertel fünf" for a quarter to five.

See, not heard at all.

Is that how they get the trains to run on time - no-one knew what time they were meant to arrive.

Last edited by tim60; 06-30-2015 at 01:29 PM.
06-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #17943
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
OTOH, Mag, feel free to use up your grey cells as you see fit!!
Well, as to that I figure if I ever finally get to France and Italy, and I do plan on it in the next few years, I might want to know what the street signs say, what trains to take, and how to properly order something to eat. I don't want to order say a Napoleon pastry and get snails with chocolate or something, you know? Plus, over the years I have learned most of the rude words so that if anyone dares to pinch me on public transit I will know just how to insult them by defaming their mother in just the correct way. The Spanish that's for here. Half the state speaks some variant on it now and I do like to know when I am being insulted. :P I'm having fun though so I may continue. I want to do the Irish and Welsh units I think. I thought about German but I don't think I can handle that one. German, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, not nearly so easy as French and that and I am not a masochist that I'd enjoy that torture...
06-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #17944
Veteran Member

Danish: Ni-og-halvfems = 9 + half of the fifth 20 (implying that 4x20 should be added, too)
See: reasons why nobody takes Danish people seriously.

06-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #17945
Veteran Member

Actually, I take my Danes pretty seriously. Can't hardly help it when they make them like Viggo Mortensen and Mads Mikkelson. I mean they must be doing something right over there if men like that are the result, eh? Actually one of the nicest most well adjusted men I ever dated in my wicked youth was a Dane. He was just absolutely lovely inside and out. I was totally crushed when he went home at the end of the Summer. He was the most civilized human being I've ever met and he treated me so nicely. He was just a joy to know, albeit ever so briefly, sigh. I look back now and I think maybe I should have followed him home. I think I'd like Denmark actually. It's on my itinerary actually if I ever do get across the ocean. I uh rather like chilly Nordic, um climates.... ;P
06-30-2015, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #17946
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Roman Numerals: XCIX = 99

Binary: 01100011 = 99

Hexadecimal: 63 = 99

I'm sure you did - if read it you did

Damned spelling "correction" on these tablet thingys...

Ternary: 10200

Quintal: 344

Octal: 143

Duodecimal: 83

Base36: 2R

Sexagesimal: 1d

Base64: Bj

Upside down: 66

07-01-2015, 02:50 AM   #17947
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Now that's just an offensive misunderstanding of both physics and the english language.
Just a lighthearted joke.
07-01-2015, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #17948
Veteran Member

so, due to a discussion I was having with Kerrowdown in the post your photos section, I came across a picture of somebody's pet caiman dressed as Iron Man. And I had to share it.

07-01-2015, 05:49 AM   #17949
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
so, due to a discussion I was having with Kerrowdown in the post your photos section, I came across a picture of somebody's pet caiman dressed as Iron Man. And I had to share it.
Yeah, we need more pictures in this thread!

And why not keep to the same topic...

07-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #17950
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, we need more pictures in this thread!

And why not keep to the same topic...
Is there a size limit? (On the subject) This one's almost 19 lbs.
07-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #17951
Pentaxian

Fuzzy Boy was almost 40 pounds, he was born with a skinny little body and a huge head, and his body just grew to the size it needed to be to match his head.

When we lived in town, people stopped their cars to take pictures of him in the yard.

07-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #17952
Site Supporter

Big head ...

07-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #17953
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Big head ...
Hey, his name is Norm.
07-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #17954
Pentaxian

Hey, his name is Norm.
I've never met a cat named Norm.. one of mine was named Brian, and people used to laugh, Norm would be even funnier.
07-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #17955
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've never met a cat named Norm.. one of mine was named Brian, and people used to laugh, Norm would be even funnier.
Cat?

I thought your name here was normhead, not bighead...