Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2015, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #17971
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
(Dogs have owners, cats have staff)
Absolutely true. I spent the last 15 minutes or so on my knees leaning over the bathtub because Ole (pictured a few posts back) wanted to play in the water. He likes to play in the tub with just enough water to cover the bottom)

07-01-2015, 07:35 PM - 2 Likes   #17972
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Of course, we still have the fact that "Shirley" doesn't rhyme with "surely" any more than "surly" rhymes with "sorely"...
It doesn't rhyme... it's a homonym.
Retired teachers to the rescue.

Oh and just in case, for english speakers, they sound exactly the same... people speaking with foreign accents may pronounce them differently.
07-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #17973
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Solution;
1. Keep him off the bed.
2. Keep him out of the bedroom.

If he does have a scratching post, buy him one.
1. He has scratching posts, as in multiple, all over the house and he uses those TOO.
2. You know what you get when you try keeping an overly clingy and very determined Fire Point Siamese from going to bed with you? You get the cops at your door with a noise complaint an hour later when the neighbors decide they've had enough. Or you get Animal Control there convinced you're beating said cat because he's THAT LOUD when he's parted from his Eternal Beloved, IE Moi, for more than 10 minutes...

As far as I am concerned Siamese cats should come with labels.

"Warning: Potential Psycho Stalker Cat. Unusually Affectionate, Can Be Demanding, Destructive, Hyperactive. Adopt Strictly At Your Own Risk..."

---------- Post added 07-02-15 at 01:18 AM ----------

And you're surprised that he keeps showing his disgust by shredding those sheets?
So far he's shredded some 1200 count white ones, some 1000 count blue ones, and my 100% cotton dark green Ashley flannels. Also my Dad's dull olive sheets that matched his favorite comforter when he was over there for a weekend. These are by far the brightest color sheets I've ever had but he's already half killed them and I've only had them on the bed for a short amount of time. It's not about color or quality, it's just about him being a hyperactive, destructive little monster. What he needs is another Siamese around but we can't have more than 2 pets here and frankly while he might love it housing a second Siamese like him would put me straight into the hospital. Lilith (Lily) my 9 year old black Main Coon mix is Top Cat, and she's not going anywhere. She was here first and she's her Mama's Girl as in I adore her little fuzzy black arse...

He is far more cat than I ever wanted. The only reason I probably haven't strangled him at times is because he so obviously adores me. He can make me SO mad sometimes but then he just jumps up into my arms, head butts me and practically covers my face with kisses, starts up with the ecstatic purring and I'm screwed all over again. I'm total sucker for badarse felines and he knows it. This is what got me in the first place. He's a BRAT, but he's such a LOVEABLE Brat and he has the biggest heart of any cat I've ever known. He just LOOOOOOOVES me, fortunately for him. It's his saving grace or by now he'd likely be six feet under. I've never had a cat who made it his main job in life to test me so much and I have raised a lot of cats. Loki is defnitely one of a kind, but whether or not he will outlive me is very much up for debate...

:P

---------- Post added 07-02-15 at 01:29 AM ----------

I find myself in servitude to this one - Milo. (Dogs have owners, cats have staff)
Milo is a beautiful cat. I love seeing pics of him...

---------- Post added 07-02-15 at 01:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Is there a size limit? (On the subject) This one's almost 19 lbs.
My Lily has 3 siblings, all of whom are this big or larger. Mama was a pure bred Maine Coon who played outside when she wasn't supposed to. We think the other three had a different Dad or they all take after Mom because they are HUGE. The boy he's usually in the mid 20's weight-wise and he's not fat he's just BIG. He has big furry paws like a Lynx. Lily on the other hand has Maine Coon fur but it's softer, all black and she weighs all of like 10lbs when she has her Winter coat. In Summer 9.5 maybe. She's all fur. During the Summer it thins out and you realize that she's TINY. Dad is convinced she's a runt, but I don't think so. I think Mama was getting busy with a few boy cats outside... :P

Last edited by magkelly; 07-01-2015 at 10:35 PM.
07-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #17974
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It doesn't rhyme... it's a homonym.
Retired teachers to the rescue.

Oh and just in case, for english speakers, they sound exactly the same... people speaking with foreign accents may pronounce them differently.
...and it's not a homonym At least not for native English speakers

07-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #17975
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
1. He has scratching posts, as in multiple, all over the house and he uses those TOO.
2. You know what you get when you try keeping an overly clingy and very determined Fire Point Siamese from going to bed with you? You get the cops at your door with a noise complaint an hour later when the neighbors decide they've had enough. Or you get Animal Control there convinced you're beating said cat because he's THAT LOUD when he's parted from his Eternal Beloved, IE Moi, for more than 10 minutes...

As far as I am concerned Siamese cats should come with labels.

"Warning: Potential Psycho Stalker Cat. Unusually Affectionate, Can Be Demanding, Destructive, Hyperactive. Adopt Strictly At Your Own Risk..."[COLOR=Silver]

Milo is a beautiful cat. I love seeing pics of him...[COLOR=Silver]
Ouch, I can see you'll need to consider chainmail sheets! Noise complaints and Animal Control? Very determined cat, by the sounds of it.

Milo is a Tonkinese - Ragdoll cross (Tonkinese is a Siamese - Burmese cross breed, while Ragdoll is a bit of a mix between Burmese and Persian and who knows what.) Most of Milo's siblings have longer (Persian) type hair, but Milo has a shorter but very dense coat. He does have the typical Ragdoll trait where when you pick him up he's happy to just go limp and lie there, upside down like a rag doll. The rest of the time he's the undisputed ruler of the house and all other pets, including Sharkie, who is a retired Greyhound. Shark Bite (his pedigree name) came to us via the GAP (Greyhounds as Pets) programme. This organisation seeks homes for retired racers. He was born in Australia and made his trainer quite a bit of money. Now you would think that lightly coloured fluffy animals like Milo would not have a sporting chance with a retired racing hound around, but Sharkie is very scared of Milo and if Milo so much as looks at him, he skulks off with his tail between his legs. He's really more like a very large cat in a dog's body. Greyhounds don't have the glands that many other dog breeds do, so they're not smelly, shed little hair, don't bark, and need very little exercise. You'd think they need lots, but apart from the odd sprint, they're incredibly lazy and spend their days and nights sleeping - like cats. It's not that he can't bark, of course, he just chooses not to, so occasionally when asleep and dreaming, he'd give a single deep and loud bark when chasing, an imaginary rabbit, I'm sure.

---------- Post added 07-02-15 at 09:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Absolutely true. I spent the last 15 minutes or so on my knees leaning over the bathtub because Ole (pictured a few posts back) wanted to play in the water. He likes to play in the tub with just enough water to cover the bottom)
I've heard that some cats like water, but I've never had one that does!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-02-2016 at 01:13 PM.
07-02-2015, 04:48 AM   #17976
Pentaxian

...and it's not a homonym At least not for native English speakers
I really have to hear you pronounce "Shirley" and "surely" sometime.
Or just scroll back up and listen to Leslie.

QuoteQuote:
A homonym is a word that is said or spelled the same way as another word but has a different meaning. "Shirley” and “surely” is a good example of a pair of homonyms.
See, right from the dictionary....
I rest my case
07-02-2015, 05:09 AM   #17977
Veteran Member

Ouch, I can see you'll need to consider chainmail sheets! Noise complaints and Animal Control? Very determined cat, by the sounds of it!
That's the understatement of the year with Loki. Chainmail sheets? Somehow that doesn't sound very comfortable. LOL I have enough problems sleeping on microfiber junk sheets. They're not as good as my all cotton ones that used to last for years and years until the Siamese came along. My whole life is changed utterly because of him. My doll collection is in cabinets, locked or stored. Ditto my crystals and other stuff that I collect. I can't so much as leave a book on my bed now that he doesn't try to play with it, shred it or bite it. Siamese cats they are something else. He is my first and will be my last, for sure. I will be lucky if I outlive him, seriously. It's been like I am raising a dozen terrible 2 year olds, all at once. No, I take that back toddlers in the Terrible Twos are easier. At least they grow out of it eventually, you know?

He is one exhausting little feline...

07-02-2015, 05:19 AM   #17978
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
That's the understatement of the year with Loki. Chainmail sheets? Somehow that doesn't sound very comfortable. LOL I have enough problems sleeping on microfiber junk sheets. They're not as good as my all cotton ones that used to last for years and years until the Siamese came along. My whole life is changed utterly because of him. My doll collection is in cabinets, locked or stored. Ditto my crystals and other stuff that I collect. I can't so much as leave a book on my bed now that he doesn't try to play with it, shred it or bite it. Siamese cats they are something else. He is my first and will be my last, for sure. I will be lucky if I outlive him, seriously. It's been like I am raising a dozen terrible 2 year olds, all at once. No, I take that back toddlers in the Terrible Twos are easier. At least they grow out of it eventually, you know?

He is one exhausting little feline...
I'm not sure I'll swap our cats for 2-year olds, LOL. Having said that... I once gave away a cat because she simply could not leave my pre-war radio collection alone. She shredded a completely original 1935 HMV / RCA speaker cloth.
At least Milo only shreds the couches!
07-02-2015, 05:19 AM   #17979
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I really have to hear you pronounce "Shirley" and "surely" sometime.
Or just scroll back up and listen to Leslie.

See, right from the dictionary....
I rest my case
My pronunciation is pretty much like you'll find if you go to https://www.ivona.com/, choose "English, British, Brian", and enter "surely, shirley".

I'll put down my box as well
07-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #17980
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

To get us back on topic:

07-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #17981
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

"surely, shirley"
shir-lee vs. shir-lay?
07-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #17982
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
shir-lee vs. shir-lay?
Would you ever mistake this guy for talking about somebody named Shirley?

07-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #17983
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now I'm all surly about the argument over the pronunciation of Shirley and surely.
07-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #17984
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Now I'm all surly about the argument over the pronunciation of Shirley and surely.
Surely you can't be surly, Shirley?!?!? "Don't worry, Be Happy"!
07-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #17985
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Surely you can't be surly, Shirley?!?!? "Don't worry, Be Happy"!
Say that real quick, 10 times.