Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #18136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
What happens if the next APS-C flagship is NOT a "K-3 sumthin" ... ? What happens to this thread?!

Please answer quickly or else I won't sleep tonight !
Then that still wouldn't change any of the reasons why we wouldn't buy a K3 (then used, presumably).

07-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #18137
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, the (Bat Eared?) Fox is back from beautiful Namibia, me thinks.
07-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #18138
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, a thought just came to me ... (ugh, OK ... I know that hard to believe, but ...)

What happens if the next APS-C flagship is NOT a "K-3 sumthin" ... ? What happens to this thread?!

Well, it collapses into a singularity that swallows the universe as past and present participants stampede and, in a state of panic and despondency, buy K-3s before it's too late. And thus the hociR wins.

What did you think?
07-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #18139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Well, it collapses into a singularity that swallows the universe as past and present participants stampede and, in a state of panic and despondency, buy K-3s before it's too late. And thus the hociR wins.

What did you think?
Well ... ugh ... I dunno ...

But I know think that I am going to open a bottle of Bourgueil in order to console moi-self.

PS - Did I ever mention that I married a French woman that neither drinks nor eats cheese. Which is great because there's more for greedy moi ...

07-12-2015, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #18140
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Sleep well, Monsieur. This thread is the Aether of this forum. It is immortal.
07-12-2015, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #18141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Hey, the (Bat Eared?) Fox is back from beautiful Namibia, me thinks.
The Fox is still travelling in South-Western Africa. Right now he is sitting in the seaside city of Swakopmund that is currently experiencing about 11°C and with all the seashell and driftwood decoration, a jetty and fish restaurants feels more like a Belgian holiday resort, rather than a colonial German settlement in an arid African country. It is very different from the 30°C-desert-mountain landscape the Fox experienced just two days ago.

But about a week ago the Fox encountered some friends, a couple of the species Canis mesomelas. He quizzed them on the best way to snatch up some lion kill and how to hide it from pesky hyenas. The two agreed that dosing in the magic hour and watching the sunsets must be their favourite thing about their home (the Etosha National Park). He was also impressed to learn that they are monogamous for life and always venture out together in their daily adventures.

The Fox always enjoys making friends on his travels, human and non-human alike.
07-12-2015, 02:01 PM - 3 Likes   #18142
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
It might by kitchen Dutch, but you nailed it! Speaking of languages and their history; one of my language is Frysk (spoken in one northern province of the Netherlands) and there is one short rhyme that is supposed to be from the fifteenth century. It goes like this:

Bûter, brea en griene tsjiis
(Butter, rye bread and green cheese)
Wa dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries
(If you can't pronounce that, you are no a real Frisian)

This rhyme had a rather practical purpose. The Frisians were at war with the guy's from Holland and attacked trading ships. Upon capture the whole crew had to repeat the rhyme to make sure there were no Frisians crew members among them. The ones who couldn't say the rhyme properly were tossed overboard. But noting was captured on camera and that is why I won't buy (another) K-3..
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thanks for sharing! In Afrikaans there's a few similarities to some of those words:
Buter = botter
Griene = groene
Gjin = geen
Oprjochte = opregte

But, some words are decidedly different:
Brea = brood
Tsjiis = kaas

There's also the very interesting vowel shift that occured, much like what is called "The Great Vowel Shift" for the English language, but which actually affected most of the Germanic languages. Thats why you see words like your "griene" becoming in a later language "groene". My family name is Jerling, but in the 1700's, that was still spelt Jarling.
Languages are fascinating. They are also constantly in flux, changing and evolving.

And many are disappearing.

I recently I read that linguistic diversity is declining. Something like 50 to 90 percent of languages that exist today are estimated to be extinct by 2100.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
LOL
This guy is a man of few words.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
As this thread often gravitates toward bacon, this is probably a good time to mention that bacon is "spek" in both Dutch and Afrikaans!
But it is still bacon.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
When I was kid my family was given a jar of pickles by a German neighbor, and from then on we used to enjoy teasing her about "Zowerkrowt mitt borsht unt shpeck"!
Borscht is delicious. I used to live not far from Grand Forks, Canada. Russian immigrants settled there in the early 1900's. There are many restaurants there that have traditional Russian cuisine. Having found the dish a tasty treat I took Racer there when we were traveling near there.

Now he always wants me to make it for him.

But my ancestrty is Norwegian. We prefer rullepølse, pinnekjøtt, lutefisk and lefse.

Oh, and don't leave out rakfisk. Igunak doesn't hold a candle to rakfisk.

Ya sure you betcha.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Tess and I are both part German, she's half, I'm a quarter, but I'm the one that like Oktoberfest sausages and sauerkraut, how is that possible? She should like sauerkraut twice as much as I do.
Racer doesn't have a speck of Norwegian in him. But he has taken to the cuisine more than I ever have.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Sleep well, Monsieur. This thread is the Aether of this forum. It is immortal.
LOL

(had to look that one up)

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
But about a week ago the Fox encountered some friends, a couple of the species Canis mesomelas. He quizzed them on the best way to snatch up some lion kill and how to hide it from pesky hyenas. The two agreed that dosing in the magic hour and watching the sunsets must be their favourite thing about their home (the Etosha National Park). He was also impressed to learn that they are monogamous for life and always venture out together in their daily adventures.
Mongamy is best.

The foxes look very affectionate.

07-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #18143
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
The Fox is still travelling in South-Western Africa. Right now he is sitting in the seaside city of Swakopmund that is currently experiencing about 11°C and with all the seashell and driftwood decoration, a jetty and fish restaurants feels more like a Belgian holiday resort, rather than a colonial German settlement in an arid African country. It is very different from the 30°C-desert-mountain landscape the Fox experienced just two days ago.

The Fox always enjoys making friends on his travels, human and non-human alike.
Swakopmund can be quite chilly, especially when the fog rolls in. But the area around Swakop is really interesting with all the welwitschia, the tiny lithops, and small critters living out among the sand and rock.

Always nice to see jackals, too - thanks for sharing!

Now excuse me, I have to plan the next trip... No time to buy another K-3!
07-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #18144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
My husband's heritages is German, Naumann, mine is Irish, Cherokee, probably an ancestor or two that England didn't want and sent to the colonies , ... And a Prussian ancestor, 'Herche or Harche', sent to get rid of the English ancestor that England didn't want and had sent to the colonies. Lol, but I absolutely love saurkraut and cook it several times a month.
Tess is an Albrecht and a Knifton (English) , I'm a Drescher, for the German part of things. I'm also Cherokee, Scottish (Bailey and Courtland) English, (Head) with some Irish and French thrown in as wagon train babies. No one knows what the names of the black or Cherokee parts of the family were.
07-12-2015, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #18145
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The Arlington airport was a military base during WWII. After the war the Navy and the Army left. Someone thought the long runways would make a great dragstrip, so in the 1950's and 1960's racing was quite popular there.
I have good memories of the Arlington Dragstrip.

Steve
07-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #18146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Tess is an Albrecht and a Knifton (English) , I'm a Drescher, for the German part of things. I'm also Cherokee, Scottish (Bailey and Courtland) English, (Head) with some Irish and French thrown in as wagon train babies. No one knows what the names of the black or Cherokee parts of the family were.
There are quite a few Dreschers in this area, my husband's Naumann ancestor migrated from Germany to find gold in California, then some settled in Fayette county, texas. Lol, Unfortunately the loot from the gold was long gone by the time I married into the family. My Herche ancestor, Johannes Herche (John Harkey) was a Prussian Hessian soldier. My English ancestor was a Spencer... Probably someone kicked out of the family, lol, and then also some French Creole. Maybe why my mom gave me a French name? Sherry Yvonne. But really doesn't explain my sister having a Spanish type name. Tammie Delores.
07-13-2015, 07:57 AM - 3 Likes   #18147
Veteran Member

Thread bumping with yesterday's baby backs.

07-13-2015, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #18148
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice pieces.
07-13-2015, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #18149
Veteran Member

YUM, those look good. You're making me crave some ribs. Might have to hit the BBQ joint tomorrow, sigh...
07-14-2015, 02:22 AM   #18150
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
So a tidbit of useless information I found while trolling the interwebs.

QuoteQuote:
The 737 jetliner family has carried more than 16.8 billion passengers worldwide. That means more than twice the world's population has watched the clouds roll by through the window of a 737.