Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #18526
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
In Norway we have a different kind of Mack...

Very good alternative too. I've been to the brewery a few years ago. Most northern brewery in the world.

08-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #18527

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Most northern brewery in the world.
So the cold brewing process should produce a better beer. There are a couple of North American brews that tout their beer as better because of "cold filtering" and other "cold stuff".
08-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #18528

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Nice collection.
Thanks Tim!

The Yanke one is what we call a road train (quite distinct from the B-double). In Australia they can only be driven in defined places. Usually way outback and a few roads into more populated areas.
Same in North America. In Canada they run out on the prairie, Western Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba. In the US they run in parts of Oklahoma, Colorado, the Dakotas.

Out on the Ohio Turnpike there are marshaling yards where sets of 53 foot trailers are joined and broke down. The loads are mostly for the supply chain to support the automotive manufacturing industry. I have seen flatbed trailers loaded with steel and aluminum coils headed for the presses that stamp out parts. Other loads are dry vans loaded with parts headed for assembly lines. UPS and FedEx make use of these areas too.

In Oregon and a few other areas carriers run sets of triple 28 foot pups, and those get broken up into sets of doubles as the loads move into areas where triples are not allowed.

Still, there isn't anything to compare with the road trains that run the Outback. Those rigs are awesome.

I was amazed yesterday to see a road train with one dog driving along a city street in Taiwan (An Ho Rd Sec 3, Tainan City).
Miss Zoe was a good dog, and she was very smart. But I never let her drive. Nope. I didn't think it would work out well. Something about the lack of opposable thumbs. Oh, and four feet with no hands.

. . . . . . . . . . besides this thread is not for photos, . . . . . . . . . . . .
Maybe.

But sometimes pictures help to illustrate. They can say so much more than just a few words, and even add more information to a group of words.

And this is a photography forum, right?

My rides on wings you did not make are coming up in two days. Hopefully they are boring. That is the nicest kind of flying.
I swore off commercial air travel about 20 years ago. It has become too much bother. Security checks. Carry on baggage limits. No more salty snacks or charging for them. Not serving a meal on most flights any more. Charging extra for luggage. Charging extra for carry on baggage. Everyone treating passengers poorly, TSA, porters, ticket counter clerks, etc.

And there is something disconcerting for me when I consider that I am simply a passenger, among 200 to 800 others. As a passenger I am nothing more than another piece of luggage.

But I still enjoy the pleasures of flight.

Mrs. Racer and I got a ride in this one last summer over the San Juan Islands.

And in 2007 I took this one up. All I wanted was a ride but I wound up getting an hour of right seat time.

Both machines gave an experience of flight that commercial aviation does not posses.
08-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #18529
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

Hey, photo or it didn't happen!

Then again, the average dog can't possibly be a worse driver than a lot of those on the roads already.
I will get you a photo. But the 'dog' is a trailer with one axle front and rear, with front axle having turntable and link front trailer.

---------- Post added 08-17-15 at 07:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Thanks Tim!

Same in North America. In Canada they run out on the prairie, Western Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba. In the US they run in parts of Oklahoma, Colorado, the Dakotas.

Out on the Ohio Turnpike there are marshaling yards where sets of 53 foot trailers are joined and broke down. The loads are mostly for the supply chain to support the automotive manufacturing industry. I have seen flatbed trailers loaded with steel and aluminum coils headed for the presses that stamp out parts. Other loads are dry vans loaded with parts headed for assembly lines. UPS and FedEx make use of these areas too.

In Oregon and a few other areas carriers run sets of triple 28 foot pups, and those get broken up into sets of doubles as the loads move into areas where triples are not allowed.

Still, there isn't anything to compare with the road trains that run the Outback. Those rigs are awesome.

Miss Zoe was a good dog, and she was very smart. But I never let her drive. Nope. I didn't think it would work out well. Something about the lack of opposable thumbs. Oh, and four feet with no hands.

Maybe.

But sometimes pictures help to illustrate. They can say so much more than just a few words, and even add more information to a group of words.

And this is a photography forum, right?

I swore off commercial air travel about 20 years ago. It has become too much bother. Security checks. Carry on baggage limits. No more salty snacks or charging for them. Not serving a meal on most flights any more. Charging extra for luggage. Charging extra for carry on baggage. Everyone treating passengers poorly, TSA, porters, ticket counter clerks, etc.

And there is something disconcerting for me when I consider that I am simply a passenger, among 200 to 800 others. As a passenger I am nothing more than another piece of luggage.

But I still enjoy the pleasures of flight.

Mrs. Racer and I got a ride in this one last summer over the San Juan Islands.

And in 2007 I took this one up. All I wanted was a ride but I wound up getting an hour of right seat time.

Both machines gave an experience of flight that commercial aviation does not posses.
The main road train loads are supplies for the out back and the wonderful grass fed stock going to market, on a one way trip.

You guys must learn, we, the rest of the world, have had security to fly since the hijackings in the early 70s. Something about Palestine. So the staff in most places have a style like "I know you don't like it, and I don't like doing it to you, but it has to be done." And the airports are designed so it all fits in nicely.

Asia is the nicest place to fly. The attitude is respectful to travellers by everyone, officials and the airlines.

I suspect a lot of the security is done by unobtrusive observation.

Talked to a United hostess once. She said they can tell at boarding time very accurately who is going to be bothered on the way. Once watched a police woman at the Sydney NYE fireworks, at The Rocks, and could see in her eyes she could tell who was going to make work.

08-16-2015, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #18530
Loyal Site Supporter

Ooh,a Mitchell ... and a nice example, too.
08-16-2015, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #18531
Site Supporter

Panchito is pretty cool.
Delaware Aviation Museum
08-16-2015, 08:44 PM   #18532
Site Supporter

After posting this in Rupert's dinner thread, I try to get it in the right place.

I was waiting for the large road to turn out of a little side street when the truck and dog went by. The signs tell you exactly where it is. It is an industrial area on the north side of Tainan City. The major road there is a national numbered road. This is about 2km from where I have been living the past two weeks. The truck and dog were going north so the big load was going south. the streets are not big for the amount of heavy traffic they carry.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #18533
Veteran Member

Very good alternative too. I've been to the brewery a few years ago. Most northern brewery in the world.
I heard mack, and my liver perked its head.

08-17-2015, 02:41 AM   #18534

After posting this in Rupert's dinner thread, I try to get it in the right place.

I was waiting for the large road to turn out of a little side street when the truck and dog went by. The signs tell you exactly where it is. It is an industrial area on the north side of Tainan City. The major road there is a national numbered road. This is about 2km from where I have been living the past two weeks. The truck and dog were going north so the big load was going south. the streets are not big for the amount of heavy traffic they carry.
That big load looks like some kind of industrial press.
08-17-2015, 11:30 AM - 2 Likes   #18535
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
I heard mack, and my liver perked its head.
That's funny, mine went into the witness protection program. I suppose my last visit was a little too "wet".
08-17-2015, 12:19 PM - 2 Likes   #18536

And I see that this is the Full Frame version. Note the "FF" on the end.

08-17-2015, 01:01 PM - 2 Likes   #18537
Site Supporter

Yeah, I've always said those full frame things are too big and unwieldy for me...
08-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #18538
Site Supporter

That's funny, mine went into the witness protection program. I suppose my last visit was a little too "wet".
Kippis!

08-17-2015, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #18539
Site Supporter

sorry for the inadvertent use of a rude word. I beg your indulgence.
08-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #18540
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I beg your indulgence.
OK by me, but the mod? You might have to duck!