Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #181
Veteran Member

I broke my own rule for not researching before posting. Not sure how $200 million got into my head.

10-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #182
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
toukan: I can't argue with anything you said.

snake: The increase in lens pricing was absolutely done under Ricoh's realm. And it was outlandish. That's when I stopped recommending Pentax to people. Overnight Pentax glass went from undercutting Canikon to becoming premium in comparison. This is still an issue. I don't think a single lens is worth MSRP.
The first lens price increase (about 40%) was done by Hoya in the summer of 2009. Street prices in the USA fell to their prior levels rather quickly thereafter except the FA Limiteds.

MAP was done under Ricoh.
10-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #183
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I personally hope this melding of Ricoh and Pentax teams makes the new cameras better and better and that Ricoh succeeds.

I'll buy the K-3 but I'm still a little sad. We should appreciate the fierce Pentax loyalists here and not jump to cannibalize our own. They may need time to get over it. If they can't I'm not going to bitch them out for it!
I agree - but for reasons, I am confident the combined company will meet your wish - though the culture and the products will be somewhat different.
10-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
This was exactly the reason I thought of when I read the thread title. Though if I resist another discontinued camera cycle I'm sure I'll be looking at the K-3 when the K-3ii rolls around in a year or two.

I wish I were surprised at the real reasoning behind this thread, but I've seen enough complaints about the Ricoh name on the back the past few days that I've just come to accept the existence of people with priorities I'll never be able to comprehend.
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
toukan: I can't argue with anything you said.

snake: The increase in lens pricing was absolutely done under Ricoh's realm. And it was outlandish. That's when I stopped recommending Pentax to people. Overnight Pentax glass went from undercutting Canikon to becoming premium in comparison. This is still an issue. I don't think a single lens is worth MSRP.
Please read this: I'm Glad the HD Limiteds are More Expensive - Photographic Articles - PentaxForums.com

10-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #185
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
No, we're talking about a litmus test of purity, as some here seem only willing to purchase 100% pure Pentax cameras.

That, and I'd rather keep my $5
Except Tuco was not first.

I was.

My Super Program does not say Asahi anywhere on the camera or lens. Time to pay up.

Steve

P.S. The same is true for many, many (all?) Pentax models, A-series and newer.
10-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #186
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My Super Program does not say Asahi anywhere on the camera or lens. Time to pay up.
Ok...I will fess up. My mother taught me to be flawlessly honest. The removable accessory grip has Asahi stamped into the plastic in very tiny letters.

Steve
10-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #187

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I'll buy the K-3 but I'm still a little sad. We should appreciate the fierce Pentax loyalists here and not jump to cannibalize our own. They may need time to get over it. If they can't I'm not going to bitch them out for it!
Personally, I was not bitching about showing remorse for the name change, and I am certainly not a fan of constant corporate churn of well-liked and trusted brands, often being traded and thrown around like cards in a poker game. My point was simply a reaction to the OP who stated that he would never own a Ricoh product, which I thought was a little short-sighted. Not saying he isn't entitled to his opinion...i just don't share it, and was trying to explain why.
10-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #188
Banned

If only people fought and chatted about world problems as much as they did about their first-world, consumerist problems.

10-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
If only people fought and chatted about world problems as much as they did about their first-world, consumerist problems.
Well, pretty sure they do, just glad it's not here where we have bigger fish to fry!
10-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have had quite a few people turn me down because I shoot with pentax.
With all due respect... no scratch that... I cannot respect that!
That is the biggest load a hooey, I've read all day!

Trust me, it has nothing to do with you shooting on Pentax; they are turning you down because your portfolio sucks.

I will only hire you if you shoot with Canon or Nikon... said NO COUPLE LOOKING TO HIRE A WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER.

Arrggg...
10-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #191
Veteran Member

Wow, this is a ridiculous thread!`

OMG people... Ricoh SAVED the dying Pentax family of products! WTH is with the vitriol towards Ricoh? It's time to accept Ricoh as our new overlords!

I couldn't care less if Ricoh wiped out the Pentax branding... Pentax is gone and we should be very thankful that Ricoh is carrying on Pentax's great legacy.

And to those who feel 'embarrassed' by owning a camera with the Ricoh branding or feel that even Pentax isn't prestigious enough, one word of advice... go buy a Canon or Nikon!

BTW, I just showed a long time Canon owner the specs on the new K-3 and he is now seriously thinking of selling his Canon equipment to buy into the Ricoh/Pentax family.
10-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
With all due respect... no scratch that... I cannot respect that!
That is the biggest load a hooey, I've read all day!

Trust me, it has nothing to do with you shooting on Pentax; they are turning you down because your portfolio sucks.

I will only hire you if you shoot with Canon or Nikon... said NO COUPLE LOOKING TO HIRE A WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER.

Arrggg...
The Nikon-shot wedding album my son and D-i-L received from the currently-hot BMW-driving, country-clubbing, hipster photography group in St. Louis was so banal it pains me to see it. My "engagement proposal" candids (after a dinner party at our home) with my poor old K10D and K-01 and a DA55~300 and FA35/2 were better-lit and composed. And I suck.

I could have done better with a Q/01 if I had had one then. And I suck.

At the same time our best friends hired the local "traditional" shooters for their daughter (for 40% less money) - dark suits, unobtrusive, quiet and steady, 1 click per pose, 2 zooms, 100% ceremony keeper rate, 50% candid / reception keeper rate, 750 clicks they said to me - also Nikon bodies because they've owned the lenses for a decade. In most cases they could have taken the jpg's straight from camera, but the finals were developed from RAW.
10-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #193
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah - that's why you want the calm, boring wedding photographers. Unobtrusive, technical and traditional is what it's all about. That's its own skillset! My nephew is a completely different person in Wedding Photographer Mode - it's kind of amazing to watch.
10-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #194
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Given some days reflect on this thread, I have one last thought: Be sad, be sorry, grieve for what was and is no more.(not trying to be funny here) Pentax of your youth is no more! But after that, support Pentax-Ricoh, buy their products, rejoice at the new products now coming out and spread the word!!!! This is the LAST real chance for the brand to turn away it's own demise!! If Ricoh's attempt to bring back Pentax fails, it will be chopped up and flushed! They will cut their losses as any smart corp. would. So if you love Pentax and want it to survive, please support the brand!!! I believe Pentax CAN become the solid #3 in the business and be a viable alternative to the CANIKON monoply!! The battle plan right now should be to protect the manufacturer of the great K-mount!!! And if all goes well, you just might get that FF soon!!
Joel
10-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #195
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
First of all, both of those names only have significance because of their histories and the quality of the products. If Fisher-Price had been making Leica-quality cameras for the last 50 years, it wouldn't matter to me if my camera said Fisher-Price (in fact I would be happy about it). Ricoh has been known as a quality manufacturer for quite a while, just primarily in other product areas.

Second of all, you do realize of course that that '81 was 32 YEARS AGO....so in and of itself that indicates that Ricoh isn't a fly-by-night newcomer.

Personally, I hope they keep the Pentax name on their cameras, both because of the connection to the Pentax heritage, and because, while not as recognizable today as Canon, Nikon, etc, it still carries some cache' in the photography world (certainly more than Ricoh). But that being said, Ricoh paid a ton of $$ for Pentax. That, plus the additional investment they have made since in the products earns it the right to place their name on them.
Hahaha.

Around the same time in the now defunt audio magazine "Stereo Review", Nakamichi had an ad of all their top components connected to a Fisher-Price cassette player in bright pink as a joke. No one with experience spend $10k on a bicycle with "Spalding" on the frame. No one would spend a few hundred dollars on a meal for two at a fine dining establishment called "Burger King".