Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #19621
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Yes, did that very frequently when living in Ghana, and again when visiting a Malaysian friend and his mother made tons of extremely hot food for me. I still don't get why spicy food seems to be commonly associated with gastrointestinal distress afterwards?
No, not so much intestinal distress. More exitestinal distress, sort of.

But yeah, I don't mean to say the phenomenon is anything like what Zoe is experiencing right now.

I eat spicy food without reservation.

10-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #19622
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

But yeah, I don't mean to say the phenomenon is anything like what Zoe is experiencing right now.

Don't have so much of the intestinal distress thing. I just feel like I've been run over multiple times by a steamroller.
10-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #19623
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

Building up a tolerance has a lot do with it. As you say, the usual complaint is not internal distress so much as the results of undigested capsaicin coming in contact with, um, "sensitive" parts of the epidermis. Or, as a coworker once described spicy food, "that'll burn at both ends".
10-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #19624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do OK with moderately spicy food, but very hot Tex-Mex is for me, just not pleasant. My son cannot take anything even moderately hot. He brought back some gastric fungus from China that took several years to diagnose (he could not keep down any food, and was losing weight to the point of being life-threatening). Although the fungus was killed, within a week of diagnosis, his GI tract was damaged beyond repair and he's cursed with hyper-sensitivity to any food beyond traditional American bland.

10-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #19625
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
I'm going through the day after right now.
The way to avoid that is to stay drunk.
10-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #19626
Pentaxian

Someone, I don't remember who, once said

"I don't eat anything that burns coming in and going out."
10-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #19627
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it hurts to eat or expel, your body is sending a message. If it is an "acquired taste," your body is sending a message. If you need to build up tolerance, do I need to write it a third time?

10-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #19628
Veteran Member

When I go to Thailand I always order Thai food "normal" like the locals eat it. I have a pretty good tolerance for spicy stuff. Naga jolokia peppers don't bother me much, in fact they are much easier on me than habanero's. Habs kick really hard right at the beginning while naga's slowly build up. I enjoy naga's much more in food for that simple reason.

If you're familiar with Blair's products, I have put their Mega Death sauce on their habanero chips and eaten 3-4 of those. Not recommended for the faint of heart. I grew up in Texas eating a lot of Tex-Mex and Mexican food, and I still love the spicy stuff.
10-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #19629
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
If it hurts to eat or expel, your body is sending a message. If it is an "acquired taste," your body is sending a message. If you need to build up tolerance, do I need to write it a third time?
True, but that applies to a lot of things. If you haven't been eating a lot of legumes and have a nice bowl of bean and bacon soup, you may be in for a long night. OTOH, the "world's hottest woman" ate Bhut Jolokias like candy as a kid. Our bodies are amazingly adaptable.
10-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #19630
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I do OK with moderately spicy food, but very hot Tex-Mex is for me, just not pleasant. My son cannot take anything even moderately hot. He brought back some gastric fungus from China that took several years to diagnose (he could not keep down any food, and was losing weight to the point of being life-threatening). Although the fungus was killed, within a week of diagnosis, his GI tract was damaged beyond repair and he's cursed with hyper-sensitivity to any food beyond traditional American bland.
Ouch. The stuff I picked up in Ethiopia 12 years ago has left a lasting impression, so to speak, but nothing as bad as that
10-03-2015, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #19631
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

A "friend" sent me this. It came in a big box from Amazon Fire.....I knew it was going to require building up a little tolerance when I opened it....

The Box said "Caution: Open outside in well ventilated exterior space."...they weren't kidding!

Left unscathed was the hottest sauce on earth.....

Delicious stuff and it will cure you or kill you. It goes a long way, my bottle lasted me almost 6 weeks.....I had to use it while eating in my shop, Mrs Rupert wouldn't let me open it in the house, the fumes burned her eyes too much for her tolerance the instant the lid came off.

Get some of this fine stuff and enjoy! For some it could be the end of ALL you gastrointestinal problems...and ALL your gastrointestines!

If you get addicted, the gallon size is available!
Amazon.com : Trinidad Extra Hot Pepper Sauce Gallon, 128oz. : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Regards!

BTW- My "friend" might want to check that his fire extinguisher is fully operational very soon......
10-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #19632
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Texas Pete is more my speed now, even though I had worked my way up to much hotter sauces at one point in my life.

10-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #19633
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Sort of like horehound candy I suppose.
BLECH to both!
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Don't think I've had Claey's horehound, but the sassafras is good stuff!

I've had both.

Very good!

Mmmmmm . . . . . . . . . tasty!
10-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #19634
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's treason for a North Carolinian to say it, but I've always liked Tobasco better than Texas Pete. Especially THIS stuff:

10-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #19635
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Texas Pete is more my speed now, even though I had worked my way up to much hotter sauces at one point in my life.
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It's treason for a North Carolinian to say it, but I've always liked Tobasco better than Texas Pete. Especially THIS stuff:

You guys can save money.....

Mix a teaspoon of this in a quart of water and still have more kick than those little "teaser" sauces!

Regards!