Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #20176
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
A 737-800. Maybe not *your* wing, but "yours" for that big corporate entity anyways I was pleasantly surprised at having enough legroom for a Seattle-DC nonstop that left me able to walk at the end (not frozen in place by too many hours in cramped seating...). Not sure if that's from the new aircraft, or just how Alaska specified their purchases...

Jim
Although seat pitch is set by the owner, the -800 is the "stretched" version of the 737. SouthWest acquired a handful of -800s from the AirTran purchase, and based on my last flight, even the crews aren't used to the larger planes. They have an extra flight attendant, and during the safety briefing, the "rear" attendant kept walking backwards all the way to the 'overwing' position, while the attendant in the 'overwing' position waited with a big grin, wondering if she'd ever stop.

10-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #20177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Although seat pitch is set by the owner, the -800 is the "stretched" version of the 737. SouthWest acquired a handful of -800s from the AirTran purchase, and based on my last flight, even the crews aren't used to the larger planes. They have an extra flight attendant, and during the safety briefing, the "rear" attendant kept walking backwards all the way to the 'overwing' position, while the attendant in the 'overwing' position waited with a big grin, wondering if she'd ever stop.
Yeah, the 800 stretch model was definitely an upgrade... They crank 'em out from a Boing plant about halfway between me and Racer

Jim
10-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #20178
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Yeah, the 800 stretch model was definitely an upgrade... They crank 'em out from a Boing plant about halfway between me and Racer

Jim
10-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #20179
Site Supporter

10-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #20180
Site Supporter

Sorry...

10-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #20181
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any of you old pharts remember Gerald McBoing Boing?

10-15-2015, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #20182
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So you flew on a 777?

The best planes in the air, to be sure.

And today I am working on a wing for the 1,363rd 777 to be built. Last year when I had my first day of OJT we were building wings for the 1,245. That makes 118 airplanes that I have contributed to the manufacture of.

Aside from the awesome feeling when I walk into the World's Largest Building each day I sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed when I stop and consider my tiny contribution to the colossal process that produces these great machines.
Next time I see a wing flex I'll think of you! My favourite airplane is still the 747-400. I've flown on too many 737's to mention, but not yet on a 787 or an Airbus A380 for that matter.
Have flown in the jump seat in a 747-400 cockpit too - before 9/11 put a stop to that.
10-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #20183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Sorry...

Uh Huh. Sure you are... I knew someone would take that ball and run with it

And I "Surely" had my expectations fulfilled!

10-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #20184
Loyal Site Supporter

Squirrely Shirley said, "surely, Sheila and surly Sara Lee will share some of the scented shattered seashells that silly Sally sent (she sells seashells by the seashore)".
10-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #20185
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Squirrely Shirley said, "surely, Sheila and surly Sara Lee will share some of the scented shattered seashells that silly Sally sent (she sells seashells by the seashore)".
That may be true, but it still doesn't tell us how much wood a woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
10-15-2015, 06:22 PM - 2 Likes   #20186
Pentaxian

Hmmm, Boeing people, my uncle Dick Drescher was the lead electrical engineer for every Boeing plane from the end of the war to possibly the 727. After his stroke he'd still, point every time he saw a Boeing plane. We'd say "Ya, ya, we know it's one of yours." And he'd say "yes, yes". All he could say after his stroke was "yes " and "no" But he was still an electrical engineer. One handed with a screw driver he re-wired his electric wheel chair so he could get down to the community centre for bridge faster. It's hard to imagine what it would be like trapped in a wheel chair , only being able to say yes and no, with a mind like that,
10-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #20187
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That may be true, but it still doesn't tell us how much wood a woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood!
10-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #20188
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Exactly!
10-15-2015, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #20189
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hmmm, Boeing people, my uncle Dick Drescher was the lead electrical engineer for every Boeing plane from the end of the war to possibly the 727. After his stroke he'd still, point every time he saw a Boeing plane. We'd say "Ya, ya, we know it's one of yours." And he'd say "yes, yes". All he could say after his stroke was "yes " and "no" But he was still an electrical engineer. One handed with a screw driver he re-wired his electric wheel chair so he could get down to the community centre for bridge faster. It's hard to imagine what it would be like trapped in a wheel chair , only being able to say yes and no, with a mind like that,

I read of him in a book called Wide Body, a good read giving the history into the 747 market launch.

I might even have read something by him from the 50s period.
10-16-2015, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #20190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But he was still an electrical engineer. One handed with a screw driver he re-wired his electric wheel chair so he could get down to the community centre for bridge faster. It's hard to imagine what it would be like trapped in a wheel chair , only being able to say yes and no, with a mind like that,
Amazing people remain amazing, no matter what happens to them.

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." Marcus Tullius Cicero