Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #20356
Site Supporter

I've flown Fokker in Ethiopia, Twin Otter in Tanzania, BA Jetstream in Zambia, Avro in Botswana and South Africa, and ATR in Madagascar, as well as some small 6 seat Cessnas, but never an Embraer, I think.

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Need to get a Bombardier in there somewhere...
I believe we flew a Bombardier on the hop from South Africa to Madagascar last year, with South African Express. So yes, it was already in the mix

10-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #20357
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Embraer
They are sexy little RJs, but 'way too small for me - fortunately my Embraer flights were very short hops. I might have fit in 'first class' - crazy to have just six seats at the front of the plane with decent leg room...

The two flights on Bombardiers were much more comfortable, except that on one, I noticed the airline logo on the seats and bulkheads was not either the airline that I bought the ticket from, nor the "Regional" airline operating the flight. I have to assume it was stolen...
10-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #20358
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Wow.

A tiny puddle jumper.
Surely better than a poodle jumper?

And no puddles to jump on that jump. It's an inland leg. Going to the Kalahari. Forecast says highs from 38° to 40°C (101-104°f) this week, so keeping warm should be doable.

They are sexy little RJs, but 'way too small for me - fortunately my Embraer flights were very short hops. I might have fit in 'first class' - crazy to have just six seats at the front of the plane with decent leg room...

The two flights on Bombardiers were much more comfortable, except that on one, I noticed the airline logo on the seats and bulkheads was not either the airline that I bought the ticket from, nor the "Regional" airline operating the flight. I have to assume it was stolen...
I'm quite used to that, being 194cm/6'4". It's just an hour and a half, though. I'll survive.
10-23-2015, 01:05 PM - 7 Likes   #20359
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've flown Fokker in Ethiopia,
A reporter was interviewing an old Scandinavian fighter pilot, asking him how it was in the war.

“Vell,” said the old guy, “vee used to fly up dere and dogfight dem Krauts. Ya, vee used to shoot dem German fokkers outta da sky.”

“For the benefit of our viewers,” interrupted the reporter, “we should explain that the term ‘fokker’ refers to a specific type of German fighter plane.”

“Vell ya,” said the old Scandinavian pilot, “but those fokkers were Messerschmitt’s.”

10-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #20360
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm quite used to that, being 194cm/6'4". It's just an hour and a half, though. I'll survive.
I'm a leggy 6'3" (my father is taller, but I have longer legs). I'm used to knees hard against the seatback, but the Embraer was bordering on painful. The overhead bins were useless for anything bigger than a purse.
10-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #20361
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The last time I flew it was from Pierre, SD to Sacramento, CA. The flight from Pierre to Denver is a small turboprop. One seat on each side of the aisle Beechcraft 1900, I think.). From Denver to Sacramento it was an A320. Wanna guess which one had more comfortable seats and more leg room?

Last edited by Parallax; 10-23-2015 at 01:30 PM.
10-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #20362
Site Supporter

I'm a leggy 6'3" (my father is taller, but I have longer legs). I'm used to knees hard against the seatback, but the Embraer was bordering on painful. The overhead bins were useless for anything bigger than a purse.
I know what you mean - I'm nearly a foot taller than my wife. Until we sit down
10-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #20363
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The last time I flew it was from Pierre, SD to Sacramento, CA. The flight from Pierre to Denver is a small turboprop. One seat on each side of the aisle Beechcraft 1900, I think.). From Denver to Sacramento it was an A320. Wanna guess which one had more comfortable seats and more leg room?
Mais oui - iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ... the French win yet again

10-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #20364
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Mais oui - iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ... the French win yet again
Funny, I didn't know the Beechcraft was made in France.
10-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #20365
Site Supporter

Need to get a Bombardier in there somewhere...
I forgot - I flew a Bombardier Challenger once, as well. Lots of legroom, proper swivel armchairs, and noise cancelling headsets. Best flight I've had.
10-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #20366
Site Supporter

And no, Jean, Bombardier isn't French, either.

Well, sort of...

10-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #20367
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, sort of...

Right. They're Québécois. Or is it Quebecian? Quebeconian?
10-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #20368
Loyal Site Supporter

Just roaming around and this made me think of a thought I had the other day....Do the French use as much Velveeta in their fine cooking as we do here?

Regards!
10-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #20369
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Just roaming around and this made me think of a thought I had the other day....Do the French use as much Velveeta in their fine cooking as we do here?
No one uses Velveeta in fine cooking. Velveeta/fine cooking is binary.

Fine cooking needs actual cheese. Now pass the poutine.
10-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #20370
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Do the French use as much Velveeta in their fine cooking as we do here?
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Let's hope not.
Then what do they put on nachos? (we are talking haute cuisine, after all)
« False colour | - »