Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2015, 07:11 AM   #20461
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
dunno if I'm blind as a bat yet, but just now when I clicked on the 'My Activity' dropdown, I saw "My Threads" as "My Threats" (I had just been reading a news story that had "threats" in it several times.) I knew I used some of the less-popular models, but things are getting out of hand...
It just happened to me....I read old Norm's post as "My first sex was a lab tech......" Maybe it is the bacon, hot dogs and Velveeta causing this disorder?

Then again...I could have been reading between the lines? Can you clarify Norm?

Regards!

10-27-2015, 07:17 AM   #20462
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And honestly, anyone recommending lifestyle changes based on a study like this, that probably has 200 identified factors and thousands of unidentified factors, is a quack.
Exactly! There's been more than one food that has been discovered to slightly increase the risk of certain cancers or other conditions, but lower the risk still others.
In all seriousness (really), let's acquiesce that bacon, hot dogs, etc, increase the risk colon cancer by 20% from a statistical 5% to 6%. How do we know that eating bacon regularly doesn't decrease by 50% the risk of stomach, hepatic, or pancreatic cancer?
Aspirin used to be a horrible drug. it increased the risk of stroke, gastrointestinal bleeding, and had several other untoward effects. Then it was discovered that one a day decreases the risk of heart attack by as much as 50%. Now it's a wonder drug that everyone over 40 should take daily.
As foods go, maybe bacon is the next kale?

Last edited by Parallax; 10-27-2015 at 07:49 AM.
10-27-2015, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #20463
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I've cured and smoked bacon since around 1980,
I belong to a bbq/grilling forum, and in 2011 I posted a thread "Bacon Made Easy" showing how easy it is to make.
Many members have tried it, rave about it, and swear off store bought bacon.
The thread was made a sticky, and has over 79,000 views.
Should I feel bad?
Is it suicide if you make and eat your own bacon?
Too profound for me to decide this morning, I think I'll fry up a few rashers think about it.
10-27-2015, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #20464
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Exactly! There's been more than one food that has been discovered to slightly increase the risk of certain cancers or other conditions, but lower the risk still others others.
In all seriousness (really), let's acquiesce that bacon, hot dogs, etc, increase the risk colon cancer by 20% from a statistical 5% to 6%. How do we know that eating bacon regularly doesn't decrease by 50% the risk of stomach, hepatic, or pancreatic cancer?
Aspirin used to be a horrible drug. it increased the risk of stroke, gastrointestinal bleeding, and had several other untoward effects. Then it was discovered that one a day decreases the risk of heart attack by as much as 50%. Now it's a wonder drug that everyone over 40 should take daily.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... kale.

Kale-Bacon-Brussels "Hash" - Mary Vance, NC

10-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #20465
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always thought the sodium in bacon would kill you with heart disease long before the colon cancer could kick in. TBH, I'd rather go that way.
10-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #20466
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I always thought the sodium in bacon would kill you with heart disease long before the colon cancer could kick in.
Oh, yes. That's the other thing that is being pounded into us . SALT IS EVIL! That stuff is poison! Don't eat it!
Just ignore the fact that normal salt content for the human body is nearly 1% and without NaCl we'd die.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-27-2015 at 08:20 AM.
10-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #20467
Veteran Member

I don't worry much about bacon, cheese, hot dogs and such. The real elephant in the room is sugar. It is in almost everything we eat, and at levels many times higher than the RDA. A soda will put you over the limit.....
World Health Organization lowers sugar intake recommendations - CBS News

I look at the sugar content in everything I buy, and it is unbelievably hard to avoid going over the RDA, just in normal cooking. I avoid sugar as much as possible, but it is so prevalent you can't avoid it successfully. I don't have diabetes....and don't want it. Sugar is evil, not bacon or hot dogs. You can avoid those if you desire, but not sugar.
What Kills More People: Sugar or Cigarettes? - OlsonND.com

Regards!

10-27-2015, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #20468
Veteran Member

My problem with reducing sugar intake is that I don't have a sweet tooth, I have a mouth full of sweet teeth.
pie, cake, cookies, you name it and I crave it after every lunch or dinner.
10-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #20469
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The real elephant in the room is sugar. It is in almost everything we eat,
Agreed. Try and find any processed food that doesn't have sugar added.
10-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #20470
Pentaxian

Just FYI ... saw this on FB.

World's oldest person eats bacon every day so suck it, World Health Organization. | Health | Someecards
10-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #20471
Veteran Member

Agreed. Try and find any processed food that doesn't have sugar added.
i don't crave sweets, but do prefer tart or spicy foods and drinks. Still, it is almost impossible to avoid too much sugar.

Try this...for just one day, look at the sugar content in everything you eat or drink. Once past 25g you are over the limit...and it comes fast.

Regards!
10-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #20472
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

i don't crave sweets, but do prefer tart or spicy foods and drinks.
I don't either. When I get that "I wan't something, I just don't know what" feeling something spicy, salty, or acidic usually takes care of it.
Try this...for just one day, look at the sugar content in everything you eat or drink.
No. I don't want to, and you can't make me.
10-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #20473
Veteran Member

Hey Charlie, you're lookin' great today...and not tasting all that bad either!
https://www.yahoo.com/health/your-vegetarian-hot-dog-may-contain-meat-and-21...ail&soc_trk=ma
10-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #20474
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It just happened to me....I read old Norm's post as "My first sex was a lab tech......" Maybe it is the bacon, hot dogs and Velveeta causing this disorder?

Then again...I could have been reading between the lines? Can you clarify Norm?

Regards!
Hey, what happens in college, stays in college. Along with everything I learned about matrix algebra and linear control systems... - something about feedback loops? Or was it froot loops?
10-27-2015, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #20475
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To determine how much credence to give the study we would also have to know what result the person(s) conducting the study wanted/expected. In any studies of this type there are almost never any surprises. They yeild the answer wanted by whomever is funding/directing them.
A friend of mine, now retired, with a statistics and maths masters degree, actually had the job of sitting in meetings and having to ask the question: "What result would you like to see at the end of the research?" Some poeple in the meeetings got it - others did not. It all boils down to who funds it, where that funding is coming from and why.
Having delved deeper into much of the "research" around global warming, I'm not convinced we humans are nearly as much to blame as we're often told we are.