Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2015, 12:05 AM   #20521
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ooh, a scanner sized to "encourage" people to use sensibly sized hand luggage? I like that The only thing that makes me line up early when boarding a plane these days is that I want to secure space for my small bag in the overhead lockers - I need every bit of leg room I can get. Some people have bigger hand luggage than my checked luggage, and often two pieces, and the luggage bins are filled to overflowing in no time.

Just a few more hours now, and I'll be enjoying the, umm, comforts of long haul air travel once again
The other thing the airlines could do to overcome the oversize carry on would be to not charge for check-in, and also to be efficient in delivering check-in back to travellers on arrival, to stop an extensive delay. And it would save them time and bother related to dealing with 'does not fit' carry on. Other possibility would be if carry on does not fit they look through all the lockers for the biggest thing and then charge a genuinely punitive 'take it to the hold' fee, so that traveller ends up with both inconveniences - a high hidden extra AND a long wait to get it back. It would also make the work of security scanning easier.

10-31-2015, 02:21 AM   #20522
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The other thing the airlines could do to overcome the oversize carry on would be ...
I thought there are strict dimensions that carry on luggage has to adhere to? There isn't really a problem to overcome, if your hand luggage is too large, it doesn't fly The budget airlines even have little metal cages standing around at check-in and the gate that have the right dimensions, if they ask you to put your carry on in there and it doesn't fit, that's bad luck for you.
10-31-2015, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #20523
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy Halloween ... say "Cheese" ?!

10-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #20524
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Happy Halloween ... say "Cheese" ?!
That is scary... Yuk!
Oh, hi everyone. Happy Halloween.

10-31-2015, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #20525
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

At least Velveeta says "prepared cheese product"; which translates to "it's almost cheese."
10-31-2015, 01:44 PM   #20526
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
At least Velveeta says "prepared cheese product"; which translates to "it's almost cheese."
Almost cheese = American slices = Slices of an American? I will stick to my goat cheese. There's nothing "almost" about goats!
10-31-2015, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #20527
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
What is "Skikeing"?
I could be misspelling it...

These guys make it look easy.

10-31-2015, 09:48 PM   #20528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Ex Finn.
I forget the context in which you said skikeing, but it is good to know you weren't just making up words.
11-01-2015, 12:29 AM   #20529
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
That is scary... Yuk!
Oh, hi everyone. Happy Halloween.
Does tht mean it is trick or treat, you know not which?

---------- Post added 11-01-15 at 06:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I thought there are strict dimensions that carry on luggage has to adhere to? There isn't really a problem to overcome, if your hand luggage is too large, it doesn't fly The budget airlines even have little metal cages standing around at check-in and the gate that have the right dimensions, if they ask you to put your carry on in there and it doesn't fit, that's bad luck for you.
There are, but many airlines are too squeamish to assail their customers with the message that the carry on exceeds by a little. And I have seen those standard crates at airports but have never seen anyone, at a full service airline, asked to test their stuff in front of check in staff. When I went through Toulouse last I was worried because my carry on included a glass jar about the size of a soccer ball in a box just large enough to fit it. It did get through.

---------- Post added 11-01-15 at 06:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
Almost cheese = American slices = Slices of an American? I will stick to my goat cheese. There's nothing "almost" about goats!
I heard on the radio recently a little boy asked at a school excursion to a farm: 'what's in shepherd's pie?'. Clearly the boy thought the question was: 'what's in shepherds pie?' and he answered: "shepherds'.

---------- Post added 11-01-15 at 06:07 PM ----------

Mark must be happy today. Maybe so happy he cannot respond to this thread. Men in black won.
11-01-2015, 03:00 AM   #20530
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I heard on the radio recently a little boy asked at a school excursion to a farm: 'what's in shepherd's pie?'. Clearly the boy thought the question was: 'what's in shepherds pie?' and he answered: "shepherds'
Look out for the Vegan burgers, too.
11-01-2015, 05:48 AM - 2 Likes   #20531
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Look out for the Vegan burgers, too.
I once had a vegetarian mushroom burger in Singapore that was described on the menu as containing "a healthy portion of vegetarians".

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 11-01-2015 at 06:09 AM.
11-01-2015, 06:02 AM   #20532
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I once had a vegetarian mushroom burger in Singpore that was described on the menu as containing "a healthy portion of vegetarians".

So how many vegetarians does it take to have a healthy portion? 10? 20? 30?
11-01-2015, 06:05 AM   #20533
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I could be misspelling it...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=N6Pur3jaY9A

These guys make it look easy.

Thanks Perkele. I have seen those before, called cross country skates. Looks like a great way to get exercise and an off season cross country skiing fix in the summer.
11-01-2015, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #20534
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

There are, but many airlines are too squeamish to assail their customers with the message that the carry on exceeds by a little. And I have seen those standard crates at airports but have never seen anyone, at a full service airline, asked to test their stuff in front of check in staff. When I went through Toulouse last I was worried because my carry on included a glass jar about the size of a soccer ball in a box just large enough to fit it. It did get through.

I traveled to San Antonio from Seattle and back last week via United to attend the funeral of one of my aunts. This was the first time I had flown commercial in almost 20 years.

The security screening process was not as bad as I anticipated. I have an artificial hip, and suspected it might trigger a more close look at my person. It did, and I was asked to submit to a quick pat down, then allowed to proceed.

What I did observe was how many morons attempted to board the plane with carry on bags that clearly exceeded the size limits. All but a few were stopped and directed to place tags on the bags and surrender them to be placed in the cargo hold.

There was one woman who was able to get on one of the planes with not only oversized carry on but also more than the allowed small bag and small personal item She had a large shopping bag filled with large gift wrapped packages. Being one of the last to board she struggled to find room in the overhead compartment. The stewardess tried to help, but the passenger objected when her stuff became scattered about. During the flight she fussed and fidgeted, and got into her too large bag in the overhead several times. She pestered the flight attendants and other passengers incessantly and was a pain in the ass to everyone.

Flying commercial sucks.

Stoopit people make it even more unpleasant.

Oh, and the flights were on an Airbus A320 and an Embraer ERJ170. The fit and finish of the Airbus planes was poor in comparison to the planes I build. The Embraer was a smaller commuter plane, noisy and uncomfortable to ride in.

Since I would prefer to drive rather than fly commercial it may be a long time, if ever that
I fly again. But if I do, I'm gonna ask to fly the best.

Boeing.
11-01-2015, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #20535
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
But if I do, I'm gonna ask to fly the best.

Boeing.
I want to fly on a 787 so I can heat my Velveeta and Rotel over those lithium batteries for a fabulous in flight dip! If it catches fire over the ocean, I can double dip!

.....Otis reprimanded me for that awful post in reply to my friends comment. He said I should be banned from this thread, slapped silly, and kicked in the "tender spot". As usual...Otis is right.

Regards!