Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2015, 07:37 PM - 2 Likes   #20716
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
(It would be quite a photo opportunity when somebody does try to milk a moose...)

From Softpedia:
In order to milk the moose females, the women farmers cover themselves with a scent resembling that of a calf in order to attract the females. They can this way milk them by hand, as the moose believes that a calf is sucking from its udder thanks to the milker's smell (otherwise, they can be aggressive towards the humans).

From Wikipedia:
The Elk House (Älgens Hus) farm in Bjurholm, Sweden, run by Christer and Ulla Johansson is believed to be the world's only producer of moose cheese. It has three milk-producing moose, whose milk yields roughly 300 kilograms of cheese per year; the cheese sells for about US$1,000 per kilogram.[6] A disturbed moose cow's milk dries up, so it can take up to 2 hours of milking in silence to get the full 2 litre yield.[7] Russian moose researcher Alexander Minaev had also previously tried to make moose cheese, but he stated that, due to the milk's high protein content, the cheese became hard far too quickly. He was not aware of any attempts to make moose ice cream.[8]

11-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #20717
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
moose ice cream
11-15-2015, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #20718
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Oh yes, many times! I visit Norway every year and I alway's eat the stuff although in my search of the origins of this delicacy I didn't meet any goats in the mountains. Perhaps it has something to do with hiking above the arctic circle. I am sure the animals below also produce milk which could be converted into cheese. But I haven't found any in the local supermarkets. I wonder why....

Yeah, no, we don't do goats (or sheep, really) up here. Honestly, I'm kinda surprised that you ran into moose, it's mostly tame reindeer up here.

And it's actually not that common to eat pure geitost, 'cuz it tastes kinda funky. Brown cheese is most commonly pure cow whey, or a mix.

Also, throwing myself on the (bragging)-about-hardware bandwagon, i just ordered an internal SSD and new RAM chips for my severely underpowered laptop. Not that impressive, but I'm still psyched!
11-16-2015, 02:13 AM   #20719
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
No worries.
Thanks!

BTW. That is an awesome moose shot!
Thanks again! Considering I just consumed two brandy's and two lukewarm beers when I shot this photo handheld in a little boat (I got a lift and the drinks from some local Sami people) with the DA*300 I was chuffed to bits with the end result.

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

From Softpedia:
In order to milk the moose females, the women farmers cover themselves with a scent resembling that of a calf in order to attract the females. They can this way milk them by hand, as the moose believes that a calf is sucking from its udder thanks to the milker's smell (otherwise, they can be aggressive towards the humans).

From Wikipedia:
The Elk House (Älgens Hus) farm in Bjurholm, Sweden, run by Christer and Ulla Johansson is believed to be the world's only producer of moose cheese. It has three milk-producing moose, whose milk yields roughly 300 kilograms of cheese per year; the cheese sells for about US$1,000 per kilogram.[6] A disturbed moose cow's milk dries up, so it can take up to 2 hours of milking in silence to get the full 2 litre yield.[7] Russian moose researcher Alexander Minaev had also previously tried to make moose cheese, but he stated that, due to the milk's high protein content, the cheese became hard far too quickly. He was not aware of any attempts to make moose ice cream.[8]
Just when you think the world can't get any weirder!

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Yeah, no, we don't do goats (or sheep, really) up here. Honestly, I'm kinda surprised that you ran into moose, it's mostly tame reindeer up here.

And it's actually not that common to eat pure geitost, 'cuz it tastes kinda funky. Brown cheese is most commonly pure cow whey, or a mix.

Also, throwing myself on the (bragging)-about-hardware bandwagon, i just ordered an internal SSD and new RAM chips for my severely underpowered laptop. Not that impressive, but I'm still psyched!
This was on Cárajávri. I hiked to this place from Masi on the road between Alta and Kautokeino in Finnmark. There are quite a lot of moose over there judging by the droppings. This was the second sighting for me in that area. But the people that brought me over the lake were also quite surprised to see them swimming like this. It probably had to do with the mosquito's (you can see them on the noses of these elk.) More than ten years ago I also sa a moose/elk standing and eating in a lake in your part of the country; Troms, Anjavassdalen in the Dividalen Nasjonal Park. And you are right about the cheese off course; I most likely have eaten brúnost from cow milk... But I haven eaten the goats milk stuff to in the south of Norway.

11-16-2015, 02:50 AM   #20720
Veteran Member

That's exactly the upgrade path I have in mind for my mid-2012 MBP, once it becomes too sluggish for me to cope with.
11-16-2015, 04:29 AM   #20721
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

an internal SSD and new RAM chips for my severely underpowered laptop
Did that with my old desk top. It died shortly after...
Had to start from the scratch. Adding a SSD made a huge improvement in boot-up speed and loading!

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-16-2015 at 04:36 AM.
11-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #20722
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

For those obsessed with the "real cheese" debate, I have discovered a new way of ensuring my breakfast meal contains the protein in real cheese.

Worried that Cottage Cheese may not be "real" cheese...I just add some Cheetos...says right on the package, made with real cheese!

Delicious too!
Name:  DSCF9489-700.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  299.7 KB

Regards!

11-16-2015, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #20723
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's a bacon, egg, and real cheddar cheese cook to rid your mind of Rupert's breakfast.

11-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #20724
Veteran Member

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the best cheese on this vast and beautiful planet:

Invented in the high middle ages by Swiss monks, I perform little dances of joy every time my parents get one of these for a party.

When scraped with the proper tools (pictured above) it produces these delicious little roses:

11-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #20725
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the best cheese on this vast and beautiful planet:

Invented in the high middle ages by Swiss monks, I perform little dances of joy every time my parents get one of these for a party.

When scraped with the proper tools (pictured above) it produces these delicious little roses:
What is that?
11-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #20726
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
What is that?
Tête de Moine
11-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #20727
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tête de Moine
$72 USD for 1.8 lbs on Amazon.
with this statement:
"This is naturally **VERY** STINKY & has spots of mold. Do NOT buy if you are not OK with strong cheeses."
plus $50 for a curler

I'll pass.
11-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #20728
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
$72 USD for 1.8 lbs on Amazon.
with this statement:
"This is naturally **VERY** STINKY & has spots of mold. Do NOT buy if you are not OK with strong cheeses."
plus $50 for a curler
I wasn't aware of the price, we just occasionally had it at home. What I can assure you of is that it is not supposed to be mouldy, and it is not very stinky
11-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #20729
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wasn't aware of the price, we just occasionally had it at home. What I can assure you of is that it is not supposed to be mouldy, and it is not very stinky
"not very stinky" - views on things like that are culturally relative. Of what is the odour of the stinkiness, at whatever extent it actually is?
11-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #20730
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
"not very stinky" - views on things like that are culturally relative. Of what is the odour of the stinkiness, at whatever extent it actually is?
I eat certain French cheeses that smell like sweaty gym socks left in a humid locker for three weeks ... excellent with young cheap reds.

These guys know nuthin' ... Brie de Meaux ?! It's perfumed. Idiots.

http://www.hotelclub.com/blog/top-10-stinky-cheeses/