Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2015, 06:44 AM - 3 Likes   #21226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I worked on a dairy farm for 6 weeks. Milked 300 cows a day. Your friends are right.
I've been told that sheep are even dumber, but I can't believe how they could be and still remember to breathe.
In Oz we have a saying that the only thing dumber than sheep are the folk who farm them. And we should know - Australia was of course 'raised on the sheeps back'

Not having recently checked on this world record breaking thread, I believe, from memory, it is now behooven on me to include the words 'bacon' and 'cheese' to make my post legitimate

12-02-2015, 06:52 AM   #21227
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Maybe I'm calling you an equine of some sort... Or maybe not!

You'd probably be right if you did...
12-02-2015, 06:59 AM   #21228
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I worked on a dairy farm for 6 weeks. Milked 300 cows a day. Your friends are right.
I've been told that sheep are even dumber, but I can't believe how they could be and still remember to breathe.
12-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #21229
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Not having recently checked on this world record breaking thread, I believe, from memory, it is now behooven on me to include the words 'bacon' and 'cheese' to make my post legitimate
Yep. That si the requirement. Or you could say lutefisk or surstromming.

12-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #21230
Loyal Site Supporter

They're smarter than cows....and a lot of people I know. Otis is right ...he usually is!

The 10 smartest animals - Technology & science - Science | NBC News
12-02-2015, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #21231
Site Supporter

I believe it to be a fair assumption that roughly half the population is even more stupid than the average stupid person.

Mean, you say?

Ok, even more stupid than the average mean person, then.
12-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #21232
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I believe it to be a fair assumption that roughly half the population is even more stupid than the average stupid person.

Mean, you say?

Ok, even more stupid than the average mean person, then.
Ah, mean, median and mode ... and did you know that our al'mighty Mod is everywhere !?!

12-02-2015, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #21233
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
They're smarter than cows....and a lot of people I know. Otis is right ...he usually is!

Yeah, I feel a little bad about eating pigs. Cows, chickens, and (domestic) turkeys, not so much, but pigs do seem to be a bit brighter. On the other hand, bacon. It's a tough call.

12-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #21234
Loyal Site Supporter

...and speaking as unofficial Keeper of Numbers for The Thread, we've cut Alphabet Race's lead to 2000 posts - that's down from 2300 about a week ago.
12-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #21235
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Sure; it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
The farm I worked on had a 16 stanchion parlor. 8 cows on each side with a lowered center area for the person milking. This put the cows' bellies just about eye level so there was no bending or stooping involved. Each milker was on a counter balanced swing arm so hooking it up was very easy and quick. Including the time moving from cow to cow it took probably 30 seconds or less for each one. They would disconnect automatically as each cow was done and when the last one disconnected, both gates, front and rear, were opened and the cows went out the front while 16 more followed in right behind them.
Okay, now for the "fun and games" part. The best milkers, probably a 4th of the herd were kept in a tie stall barn, a little over the half of the rest were in a free stall barn, and the rest (the youngest/least productive) in a pasture. There was also a fairly docile bull in the pasture and when it was time for that group to be milked he followed right into the parlor and stood with the cows. The pasture cows were the last group to be milked at each session so, by that time, usually about 10 a.m., after milking since 3 a.m., you would be on auto pilot.
The bull, though usually very laid back, got a bit testy if you weren't paying attention and tried to hook him up.
12-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #21236
Loyal Site Supporter

In "All Creatures Great and Small" (or one of the sequels), James Herriot has an experience with being on auto pilot as he checks a herd for some milk infection, then one of them seems... different. The farmer, watching, laughs at him and says something to the effect of "there's nowt wrong with 'IS bag, is there?"

Last edited by THoog; 12-02-2015 at 12:05 PM.
12-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #21237
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Osborne Lights
Sweet photo! Looks like a neighbors house. Complete with nativity scene, angels, wise men and Santa flying air support!
12-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #21238
Veteran Member

That drawing is horrid!

And it was supposed to be quoted here... oh well
12-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #21239
Loyal Site Supporter

Researchers discover seaweed that tastes like bacon:

OSU researchers discover the unicorn ? seaweed that tastes like bacon! | News and Research Communications | Oregon State University

Didn't they claim Soylent Green was algae? Soylent bacon is peeeeeeeeeeople!!!!
12-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #21240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The photo's of the animals look smart while the human photo looks like a frat party!