Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2015, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #21361
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
At least...where is the HOT sauce?
Sure hot sauce makes it better but why stop there might as well add Melted Velveeta and bacon crumbles!

12-06-2015, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #21362
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Say "Goodnight, Jane" ... the really cheap Merlot has taken its toll this eve ... sulfide headache will be the order of the day, 'morrow morn' ...
What puzzles me is why wineries add sulphides. Preservative, I know.

But the ancients made wine because the alcohol in it would act as the preservative. And that was with their lack of knowledge, or perhaps appreciation, of how to sterilise the storage vessels before packing. A similar thing happens in making jam. The traditional recipe is fruit + sugar ONLY. Factory jam is sugar + fruit +other stuff + preservatives. What is the passion with adding preservative when our ancestors knew how to use ingredients to be preservatives and most of the bad reactions people have these days are to the preservatives, not the ingredients.

Is it because factory sterilisation processes are not as good as careful home sterilisation of packaging, or maybe just the producers' fear of being sued in the event their product goes wrong. After all we occasionally hear stories of rodents packed in commercial food but I never hear of that in home cooking of preserved foods.

---------- Post added 12-06-15 at 05:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Oh c'mon! I was a medic in the military. I've eaten my lunch while watching worse than that. I have to think that, as a nurse, Amy has similar experiences.
Geeze.......
The first time you saw the worse than that, or a later occasion?
12-06-2015, 12:37 AM   #21363
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Well, more than that it can stop a wine going sour by oxidation. It's QC.
12-06-2015, 01:26 AM   #21364
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
And they have a chicken bacon ranch pizza to kill for!

Well, OK, since it has bacon. Cheese too, right?

P.S. We have a friend with a full size Tardis replica! Going to borrow it for my daughter's wedding!!

Congratulations.

You aren't losing a daughter, you're gaining a son in law.

And another family.

Whew!

12-06-2015, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #21365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a friend with a full size Tardis replica!
Full size on the outside or inside?
12-06-2015, 06:14 AM   #21366
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote

But the ancients made wine because the alcohol in it would act as the preservative. And that was with their lack of knowledge, or perhaps appreciation, of how to sterilise the storage vessels before packing. A similar thing happens in making jam. The traditional recipe is fruit + sugar ONLY. Factory jam is sugar + fruit +other stuff + preservatives. What is the passion with adding preservative when our ancestors knew how to use ingredients to be preservatives and most of the bad reactions people have these days are to the preservatives, not the ingredients.

Is it because factory sterilisation processes are not as good as careful home sterilisation of packaging, or maybe just the producers' fear of being sued in the event their product goes wrong. After all we occasionally hear stories of rodents packed in commercial food but I never hear of that in home cooking of preserved foods.
Even the ancient Greeks added sulfur to wine to stop it from turning brown. The interesting thing is that white wine contains more sulfites than red, but doesn't have a reputation for causing headaches, nor is there a medical link between sulfites and headaches. Sulfites and asthma, yes, and histamines (which red wine DOES have more of) and headaches, yes. But sulfites get the blame for RWH.

One reason for dumping preservatives in everything is to be able to ship and store large quantities under unpredictable conditions. If a jar or even a batch of Grandma's preserves turns out to be bad, you shrug and throw it away, but if it happens with a batch of a commercial product, they've got a marketing and legal nightmare.
12-06-2015, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #21367
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

On a lucky day around here you can find a sun-baked armadillo at the edge of the pavement instead of all squashed up in the middle of the road.

Possums are delicious, a little greasy.... raccoons are tough, but tasty, and armadillos are the tastiest road kill of all. In a good economy, they are all plentiful along the roads here. In a bad economy, you'd better get out there early to get your share.

Even with melted Velveeta, worms taste like dirt.

Regards!

12-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #21368
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Armadillos are just noble armored possum warriors - not that it does them any good against cars. In their eternal war with the Coyote Kingdom, well, that's another story for another time.
12-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #21369
Pentaxian

False alarm. No sulfide headache this morning for those worrying about me ... ha!

Just a plain old ordinary headache last night that was maybe amplified by my bad Merlot purchase ...

They had a "buy 2 bottles and get one free" promo and I now know why they were on sale.

"Yeck" overall and I am going to finish the second bottle tonight since it's already open. After this, I am going back to my cheap Bordeaux ... or maybe some young Côtes-du-Rhône ... or maybe ...
12-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #21370
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Full size on the outside or inside?
Outside. Easier to transport. And which inside would you recreate?
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
sun-baked armadillo
Looks like it's ready to pop! Had a raccoon burst in the ceiling of my living room once! Real Amityville Horror kind of show!
12-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #21371
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You aren't losing a daughter, you're gaining a son in law.
Yep, he fits right in! Full on geek boy!
12-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #21372
Pentaxian

False alarm.
They had a "buy 2 bottles and get one free" promo and I now know why they were on sale.

Did THEY buy a 40 foot box of it cheap? For a reason!
12-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #21373
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
False alarm. No sulfide headache this morning for those worrying about me ... ha!

Just a plain old ordinary headache last night that was maybe amplified by my bad Merlot purchase ...

"Yeck" overall and I am going to finish the second bottle tonight since it's already open. After this, I am going back to my cheap Bordeaux ... or maybe some young Côtes-du-Rhône ... or maybe ...
We thought you had stumbled upon the perfect way to prevent wine from spoiling.
(Drink it before it has a chance.)
BTW, if you're worried about hangovers, there's a foolproof preventative for that:
Stay drunk.

"Some scoundrel has put grapefruit juice in my grapefruit juice."
12-06-2015, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #21374
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Even with melted Velveeta, worms taste like dirt.
You got that mixed up. You surely meant "Even with worms, melted Velveeta taste like dirt".

Provided "dirt" is a euphemism, of course.
12-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #21375
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Stay drunk.
I thought it was quite clear what was the purpose here