Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2015, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #21406
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Southern Comfort is the only drink I've ever had that, I believe, could be made less sweet by mixing it with pancake syrup.

The girls loved it so much they didn't even wear panties on the 2nd date!

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
A photo of a their target market:
Yep, I remember her!

12-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #21407
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Everclear is just pure grain ethyl alcohol. It should work well as a slovent.
We had 100% ethanol on the hospital formulary. It was for wound irrigation for people who were allergic to other antimicrobials. It could also be give to stop premature labor, but was rarely used for that. The interesting thing is that it was on the formulary as a Schedule II drug just like morphine and Demerol. The reason it was controlled is so it wouldn't inexplicably "dissappear".
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I don't know how "pure" it is, but it sure is foul.
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
In all fairness, you can't have stable 100% ethanol at STP, so 'pure ethanol' is more like 97%. But yeah, you can imagine how heavily regulated it is in Norway.

The Geothermal heating and cooling system in my house uses pure alcohol in the ground loops buried in the yard. There are two lines that go out about 100 feet to a header, then three loops 600 feet long each, buried about 9 feet down. This is the heat exchanger portion of the system where heat is either gathered to then use for warming the house, or heat is deposited when the system is cooling it.

I was there when the HVAC guy was filling the system. He brought in a couple of barrels with the alcohol, complete with documentation from the DEA. The stuff is supposedly 200 proof, and the DEA regulates it to prevent misuse.

I thought it smelled great, but it was very strong. When he opened the first barrel I was about 40 feet away, and smelled it instantly.
12-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #21408
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Posted some photos to show off my daughter's geekiness
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/309290-people-geek-en...ml#post3451436
Check them out!!(please)
12-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #21409
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, young geeks! It's a beautiful thing! (wipes tear)

I was on a subway train once, eavesdropping on a bunch of 20-somethings talking about their D&D characters. They couldn't understand why the old geezer was giggling.

12-07-2015, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #21410
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The Geothermal heating and cooling system in my house uses pure alcohol in the ground loops buried in the yard. There are two lines that go out about 100 feet to a header, then three loops 600 feet long each, buried about 9 feet down. This is the heat exchanger portion of the system where heat is either gathered to then use for warming the house, or heat is deposited when the system is cooling it.

I was there when the HVAC guy was filling the system. He brought in a couple of barrels with the alcohol, complete with documentation from the DEA. The stuff is supposedly 200 proof, and the DEA regulates it to prevent misuse.

I thought it smelled great, but it was very strong. When he opened the first barrel I was about 40 feet away, and smelled it instantly.
I wish I had a ground source heat pump. I think that's about the most efficient HVAC system you can get.
Of course, they work even better if you live someplace that has electricity 365 days a year.
12-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #21411
Pentaxian

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/309290-people-geek-en...ml#post3451436
Check them out!!(please)
Those are great !!!
12-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #21412
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In all fairness, you can't have stable 100% ethanol at STP, so 'pure ethanol' is more like 97%.
Chemistry majors. Geesh!

12-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #21413
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Those are great !!!
Thank you for that! They do give me a smile when I look at them! And her fiance fits right into the household which a REAL plus!!
12-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #21414
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Liver caserrole!
Now we're getting gross...

Steve
12-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #21415
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Possums are delicious, a little greasy.... raccoons are tough, but tasty, and armadillos are the tastiest road kill of all.
You left out squirrels...essential for granny's stew...

Steve
12-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #21416
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In all fairness, you can't have stable 100% ethanol at STP, so 'pure ethanol' is more like 97%. But yeah, you can imagine how heavily regulated it is in Norway.
A lot depends on humidity and how long you leave the lid off. Absolute ethanol (>99.5%, 200 proof)* is very hygroscopic and readily takes up moisture from the air. It is generally available both as an analytic reagent and for pharmaceutical/food use, though in some jurisdictions there may be a beverage tax and/or restrictions on purchase.

Everclear is bottled at both 151 and 190 proof

Steve

(...used to work with the stuff in another life...reagent grade EtOH, not Everclear...)

* Not a product of distillation alone. The azeotrope is broken using a molecular sieve desiccant and remaining water removed by further distillation.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-07-2015 at 07:15 PM.
12-07-2015, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #21417
Veteran Member

Geek engagement
Check them out!!(please)
Geeky or not she is lovely!

Regards!
12-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #21418
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Geeky or not she is lovely!
I think she is too!! Besides geek is sheek now!!! After Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, who wants to be a jock anyway!
12-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #21419
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, who wants to be a jock anyway!
I'm afraid a whole lot more people still spend their Saturdays and Sundays (and assorted weekday evenings) obsessing over jocks than geeks. Why, even in this very thread, more time has been given to rugby than the Zuckerberg baby! (shocking, I know)
12-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #21420
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You left out squirrels...essential for granny's stew...
Two words....squirrel dumplin's.