Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #22096
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,515
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I once stayed in an estate in Slough, Tim ... I'm not so sure. :-P
There are some everywhere.

12-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #22097
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,486
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yeah, I suspect that aspirating Velveeta may have a few deleterious effects.
"Cheesy lung" - the not-so-silent killer. Previously confined to men who worked in the Velveeta mines, it's being found more and more in the general population.

Last edited by THoog; 12-29-2015 at 09:47 AM.
12-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #22098
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,515
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Two words: Benny Hill!!
"Homes to let" _ "Hommes toilette". BH from early 70s. The English humour from linguistic fine points.

---------- Post added 12-30-15 at 03:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That always helps. I find a nice lutefisk on toast sandwich with some pickled herring on the side cures most GE symptoms.
Bar one that comes in Spades.
12-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #22099
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,622
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I once stayed in an estate in Slough, Tim ...
Just out of curiosity, how is that pronounced in the UK?
Here the noun is pronounced 'slew' and the verb 'sluff'.

12-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #22100
Veteran Member
JibbaJab's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 351
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
"Cheesy lung" - the not-so-silent killer. Previously confined to men who worked in the Velveeta mines, it's being found more and more in the general population.
The regulations have always been loose regarding the use of friable Velveeta in consumer products. I suspect the Kraft Foods lobby has the EPA in their back pocket.
12-29-2015, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #22101
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,551
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
"Cheesy lung" - the not-so-silent killer. Previously confined to men who worked in the Velveeta mines, it's being found more and more in the general population.
12-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #22102
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,486
QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
The regulations have always been loose regarding the use of friable Velveeta in consumer products. I suspect the Kraft Foods lobby has the EPA in their back pocket.
The problem is that because some people (*cough* Rupert *cough*) claim that Velveeta is a food, there is a question whether it comes under the jurisdiction of FDA, USDA, EPA, or possibly Homeland Security.
12-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #22103
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,515
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Just out of curiosity, how is that pronounced in the UK?
Here the noun is pronounced 'slew' and the verb 'sluff'.
I am new here, only 4 months. I believe it is pronounced to rhyme with cow, pronounced the Australian way, not the way I have heard some Scots speakers say cow, which sounds more like coo, or coup - the thing colonels do to presidents.

---------- Post added 12-30-15 at 04:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The problem is that because some people (*cough* Rupert *cough*) claim that Velveeta is a food, there is a question whether it comes under the jurisdiction of FDA, USDA, EPA, or possibly Homeland Security.
But was it around early enough to be allowable based on grandfathering. (Sorry for using a non-PC term.)

12-29-2015, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #22104
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,551


Cheese carving ...
12-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #22105
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,551
12-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #22106
Veteran Member
JibbaJab's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 351
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I am new here, only 4 months. I believe it is pronounced to rhyme with cow, pronounced the Australian way, not the way I have heard some Scots speakers say cow, which sounds more like coo, or coup - the thing colonels do to presidents.
Here I was pronouncing it to alternately rhyme with cough and rough.

We Americans have been doing a bang-up job simplifying (stupidting?) down the English language, so maybe with a few more decades and several more reality TV shows in worldwide syndication, we can do away with this -ough nonsense and just spell things the way they sound.
12-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #22107
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,622
QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
we can do away with this -ough nonsense and just spell things the way they sound.
Yep.
Hookt on fonix reelee wurkt fir mee.
12-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #22108
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,486
In a few more decades, everything will be written in emoji - and we will have come full-circle back to pictograms.
12-29-2015, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #22109
Veteran Member
JibbaJab's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 351
As predicted by the movie Idiocracy:

12-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #22110
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,515
QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
Here I was pronouncing it to alternately rhyme with cough and rough.

We Americans have been doing a bang-up job simplifying (stupidting?) down the English language, so maybe with a few more decades and several more reality TV shows in worldwide syndication, we can do away with this -ough nonsense and just spell things the way they sound.
Try other place names here that are not obvious:
Bicester - like Bister
Eynsham - like Ensham
Kingston Bagpuize - like Kingston Bag-peas.
Cogges - like Cogs (fairly obvious).
Not to mention the well known Gloucester, Worcester, Cheltenham.
They are all within 15 miles of home.

---------- Post added 12-30-15 at 05:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep.
Hookt on fonix reelee wurkt fir mee.
I tell Chinese friends that English is just like Chinese, you write it this way and say it like that, and do not imagine there is any connection between the two.

Fonix has the problem it is accent dependent.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
arctic cold, bacon, basque paella, beer, caffeine, camera, canada, catch 22, cheddar, cheese, dachsunds, dew, drink, dslr, gin, igunaq, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, marital relations, mother, mountain, norm, patent, pentax k-3, pentax lens, possums, research, ricoh, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, toilet, tokyo, veggies, vermont, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top