Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #22231
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
But how will you get those coveted Only-One-Eye-in Focus™ portraits?
Something like this ...

To be honest, I was test shooting yesterday my newly acquired M 100/2.8 near wide open just to see what it would do ...

01-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #22232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did the whole Only-One-Eye-in Focus™thing grow out of demanding lenses with macro-level corner-to-corner sharpness numbers, only to discover that they rendered really ugly skin detail?

So to blur the skin a little, we had to have huge ultra-fast lenses on bigger sensors and HSS because shutters couldn't keep up with the huge apertures in daylight, when an "okay" 40-year-old lens would have done the job beautifully?
01-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #22233
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Did the whole Only-One-Eye-in Focus™ thing grow out of demanding lenses with macro-level corner-to-corner sharpness numbers, only to discover that they rendered really ugly skin detail?
No, not really. I started that because, in the FF slapfests discussions it seems the predominate reason the proponents give for wanting a FF is that you can get shallower DOF. I started to use that to poke a bit at a few forum members who, fortunately, took it (mostly) in the spirit in which it was intended. Just something to try and lighten the mood a bit when things started getting a bit too dark in the FF forum.
01-02-2016, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #22234
Pentaxian

No, not really. I started that because, in the FF slapfests discussions it seemed the predominate reason the proponents give for wanting a FF is that you can get shallower DOF. I started to use that to poke a bit at a few forum members who, fortunately, took it (mostly) in the spirit in which it was intended. Just something to try and lighten the mood a bit when things started getting a bit too dark in the FF forum.
The "dark side" of the rumors FF Force Farce ...

01-02-2016, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #22235
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Put an eye patch over the other eye...everyone that shoots APS-C knows that!

This is not starting off right in 2016....I just opened a jar of that Clancy's Cheesy dip....and a bag of Fritos. Just a little morning snack...just a few...won't hurt anything.
The jar is now empty and so is the bag of chips. This is more serious than I thought.....

Maybe a tour of the factory where it is made would turn me off this stuff? Rats running wild and roaches in the air....would that do it? Maybe...maybe not?

Last edited by Rupert; 01-02-2016 at 10:42 AM.
01-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #22236
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
01-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #22237
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

This is not starting off right in 2016....I just opened a jar of that Clancy's Cheesy dip....and a bag of Fritos. Just a little morning snack...just a few...won't hurt anything.
The jar is now empty and so is the bag of chips. This is more serious than I thought.....

Maybe a tour of the factory where it is made would turn me off this stuff? Rats running wild and roaches in the air....would that do it? Maybe...maybe not?
Willy Wonka and his tour companions.

01-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #22238
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This is more serious than I thought....
Have a nice Lutefisk and peanut butter sandwich. That should resolve the stuffed feeling you're feeling from eating all that junk food.
01-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #22239
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Lutefish...that would gag a maggot. Filthy stuff, even Velveeta couldn't compensate for that gross and foul taste......and I can say that without having ever tasted it. Just thinking about it makes me want to brush my teeth.

Could I eat it....dead or moving slow........yep, but would I? No way!
01-02-2016, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #22240
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I never understood why this has anything to do with formats at all. I can, with hardly any effort at all, get both eyes out of focus with just about any camera ever made.

Except with a Nikon, of course, because their autofocus can't miss. Stupid.
01-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #22241
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Well. My power pole snapped in two down by the base. I've got no power until I can get a new pole set. This might be one of those not very fun weeks...

(The kids & I live in an aged mobile on family land. No rent or anything, but aging trailers & their accoutrements cost upkeep for sure!)

So the power company doesn't own the pole that their wires are on, said wires that they supply electricity to your home with?
01-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #22242
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Darnit, I seem to be developing a runny nose and cough. I think I've caught 'cheesy lung' from Amy. It spreads over the Internet, you know.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Sure does. I started two days ago, now it is damned painful to swallow, it hurts to breathe, my sides ache from coughing, my nose is blocked and is runny, and my clogged up sinuses give me a throbbing headache. You really have something to look forward to...

Thanks Amy!

Seems to be going around.

First Amy, then Mrs. Racer, then you two, and now me.

Grrrrr . . . . . . . . I really dislike being ill.
01-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #22243
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I started the morning of the last day of 2015 with breakfast at Dennys in Ft. Bragg CA, then I went inland along CA 20 to Willits, then went down US 101 through Santa Rosa, San Fransisco, San Jose, and finally got off at Gilroy, took CA 152 across to Watsonville, then down CA 129 to CA 1, and into Marina CA. I ate an early dinner at a Korean restaurant, then went to the beach and watched the sun set over the Pacific for the final time of 2015 before heading back to town and checking into the hotel. So, today involved driving, redwoods, the beach, the mountains, and eating. All in all a decent day to end the year. I hope next year is awesome.

Mrs. Racer and I passed through Ft. Bragg on New Year's Eve, and spent the night in Garberville, in the heart of Humboldt county.

We traveled the 1 highway almost exclusively from Ventura all the way to Oregon. Yesterday morning we saw a herd of elk along the way. I stopped to take a photo or two. As I moved across a fence at the edge of the pasture they were grazing in one of the cows advanced toward me. She had her hackles up, and looked ready to charge me.

I kept facing her raised my arms, growled and hissed like a cougar. Had I not taken an offensive posture, it is certain she would have attacked me.

A cow elk is about the same size as a large horse.

Things would not have gone well for me, to be sure.

Lady Luck was watching over me, I think.

And a K3 would have been useless in my defense.
01-02-2016, 03:25 PM - 3 Likes   #22244
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I like looking at other people's veteran vehicles but I would not want the work of keeping it going.

It is a labor of love.

My 1948 Adams motor grader.

My 1948 Ford 8N, with 6 foot finish mower attached.

And hooked to an old army wagon, after a hard day's work cutting firewood.

And with a back blade, and the late Miss Zoe posing demurely.

01-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #22245
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

No, not really. I started that because, in the FF slapfests discussions it seems the predominate reason the proponents give for wanting a FF is that you can get shallower DOF. I started to use that to poke a bit at a few forum members who, fortunately, took it (mostly) in the spirit in which it was intended. Just something to try and lighten the mood a bit when things started getting a bit too dark in the FF forum.

There is a dedicated FF forum?

Well.

I never!