Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I'm glad Canon didnt buy pentax several years ago. Who knows what this forum would say if the back of their K-mount cams says "Canon"
All out WAR!! Didn't the french revolution actually start over a camera? "let them buy Canikon!"

10-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Well i'm not aware of the full extent of the Ricoh/Pentax relationship, but they're doing it for some reason. Whether you agree with it or not is up to you, but for me, at the end of the day it's about having got those 1 or 2 particularly crucial and special shots when i'm pushing the camera. Product research & development makes this happen. If a camera can do this (without sensor spots and oil stains or course), i'm sold. Despite all the soccer moms that go out and buy a canon or nikon without any knowledge of photography, i'd say there is a legitimate reason they're so popular. Pentax has recently made some not so great decisions concerning product design and performance. And are painfully slow in making the moves they need to fullfill the needs of many of their demanding loyal customers. This is one reason companies are abandoned.
10-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
With all due respect... no scratch that... I cannot respect that!
That is the biggest load a hooey, I've read all day!

Trust me, it has nothing to do with you shooting on Pentax; they are turning you down because your portfolio sucks.

I will only hire you if you shoot with Canon or Nikon... said NO COUPLE LOOKING TO HIRE A WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER.

Arrggg...
They don't turn you down for a wedding shoot because you shoot with Pentax. They turn you down because you don't shoot with Canikon. Well i've heard photography jobs request that I have a Nikon camera to get hired, so I guess that's not too hard to believe, but silly if they do. Especially for a wedding, you hire who can give you the product want.
10-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #214
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Hmm...That seemed to work *really* well for the rebadged - K10D with Samsung.

NOT.

Pentax K10D = Success
Samsung GX10 = Failure

It was 99% the same camera.
(The back of the GX10 camera had more "styling" and some slightly re-branded menuing)

Pentax gave Samsung everything it needed to make the GX10 a success, but no one wanted a Samsung DSLR.

Same for Ricoh. No one *really* wants Ricoh cameras except for the GR crowd and industrial folks.

Let Ricoh try and get a little DSLR cred. It's all they can do.
Maybe someday they *will* put Ricoh up front, and then maybe they can gain some ground, but I hope it's not too much like a Pentax.

I think the K-01 replacement will be Ricoh, as that would make sense after the GXR debacle.

And honestly?

I could see myself buying a Ricoh K-02 as long as it took my K mount lenses.
I wonder what the K-01 die hards would think about that?
I would agree with you. The name Samsung might be working for televisions and phones but I don't think it is a good name for a camera. A Nikon guy told me he heard of Ricoh back in the 1970s and they made the best camera back then but he never heard of it until some rankings report came out. Even though they had a great camera it didn't take off among consumers. I would guess they won't make the mistake of rebranding Pentax.

Last edited by traderdrew; 10-15-2013 at 02:52 PM.
10-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #215

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Pages and pages of much ado about nothing.... it's a stamp, not the shutter button. get the camera and enjoy it. Who cares what your camera says as long as it takes good pictures AND has a K mount? I'll buy a "fisher price" stamped camera if it takes good pictures and is enjoyable to use.
We part company here. Much ado about nothing? Insensitive are we? You deserve a Fisher Price camera. I wish I had never bought a lens from you!

I can totally understand why certain very loyal long-term Pentaxians are abandoning ship. All this insensitive bigoted love-it-or-leave-it attitude.
Less kindness and understanding. That's exactly what we need now amongst Pentaxians. Let's make things worse. That's bound to help Ricoh!
10-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What ever happened to Adam's report of a conversation with Pentax Japan - and an explanation of the Ricoh badge? I thought that was promised for Saturday or Monday.
From Saturday's home page:
QuoteQuote:
Q: Will production K-3's have the Ricoh logo on the back side?

A: Yes. While some pre-production K-3's still had the Pentax logo, the final version of the K-3 will feature the Ricoh logo.
10-15-2013, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
We part company here. Much ado about nothing? Insensitive are we? You deserve a Fisher Price camera. I wish I had never bought a lens from you!

I can totally understand why certain very loyal long-term Pentaxians are abandoning ship. All this insensitive bigoted love-it-or-leave-it attitude.
Less kindness and understanding. That's exactly what we need now amongst Pentaxians. Let's make things worse. That's bound to help Ricoh!
I think my laptop just wet itself...

10-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #218

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I think my laptop just wet itself...
I'm dead serious. I like that there are Pentax users since the *ist DS still here. Some of them are upset by recent changes. Why run them off with a love-it-or-leave it attitude?

Look, collective forum attitudes can run people way. It's true. Casual negative remarks on this forum may be the last straw for some longtime Pentax users. It happens.

I have made criticism and jokes, but overall tried to boost Ricoh here. I don't think telling the unhappy folks "oh, just get over it" is in anyway constructive for Ricoh or Pentax.

Let's eat our own and see what happens. Sorry if I am too serious but I am passionate about Pentax and now even "Ricoh."
10-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #219
Pentaxian

I'm dead serious. I like that there are Pentax users since the *ist DS still here. Some of them are upset by recent changes. Why run them off with a love-it-or-leave it attitude?
They're threatening to run off already! The title of this thread is "why I won't buy a k3," and the OP is apparently serious about it.

Seriously, what else can we suggest? I think what most people are saying is that the decision has been made by corporate functions we have absolutely no control or influence over -- so try to get to know the camera and decide on that basis, rather than flipping out over the name printed on the back.

That's about as constructive as I can possibly imagine, under the circumstances.

Like it or not, Ricoh owns Pentax consumer cameras. They decided to brand the new camera with their corporate identity.

C'est la vie.
10-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #220
Veteran Member

My first SLR was a Ricoh XR2s, using Pentax lenses. It was a great camera - very tough, very reliable - and I still have it. I am immune to any Ricoh hate.
10-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #221
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
Even though they had a great camera it didn't take off among consumers.
I guess that is why Ricoh film cameras are so common at auction. When I bought my XR7 back in '82 it was hard to find a camera store that did not sell Ricoh. What happened is that Ricoh bowed out of the SLR photography market with the advent of auto-focus SLRs.

Steve
10-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #222
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I like that there are Pentax users since the *ist DS still here
And maybe even a few that have used Pentax since the mid-1960s and before? There are also a few diehard Ricoh users here. I bought mine over 40 years ago.

For the record, I think this whole thread is pretty silly and have been sort of tongue-in-cheek for most of my posts. I do have to admit to being a little puzzled by Ricoh's marketing effort and branding strategy though.

Steve
10-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #223
Pentaxian

I don't have any 'big' issue with Ricoh having their name on the back of the K-3.

I'd rather that it say Pentax

After all Mitsubishi owns Nikon and they don't have a small 'Mitsubishi' on the back of the camera.

But Ricoh does own Pentax and as a long time Pentaxian (since 1968) I appreciate that they have bought Pentax and appear to be doing very good things with the brand.

That is very important and I was quite pleased when Ricoh bought Pentax and said this is the camera company they wanted.

If anyone is threatening to leave because of the small Ricoh sign....let 'em go...they're not really Pentaxians in my view anyways.

My druthers...I would rather have the name Pentax....as opposed to the name Ricoh on the front of the camera and on the lenses.

But as others have said..... in the end...as long as the K Mount continues to flourish...that is paramount.

Reason why...since 2007...I've bought 3 K mount bodies....10 K mount lenses....considerable expense and I would not be happy if all of a sudden the K mount became obsolete.
10-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #224
Veteran Member

Pentax no longer make cameras but Ricoh does.
10-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #225
Veteran Member

Sorry about to wet laptop quip, type first think later. that's me! Now for everyone here my position on this matter is voiced in post 194!! And I believe that is the route we all should take!