Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2016, 05:26 AM   #22561
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Fell again?
Hope you are okay!
Damn! Maybe that coffee isn't black enough.....hope to hell that is not an omen for my shop work today!

I am a dangerous worker, I know it but still take chances. The only place I don't is anywhere near a spinning saw blade. I have a friend that has sawed off most of his fingers over the years, and I think of him every time I get near my power saws, chop saws, or spinning blades of any type.

Regards!...pouring more coffee!

01-12-2016, 05:40 AM   #22562
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I am a dangerous worker, I know it but still take chances. The only place I don't is anywhere near a spinning saw blade. I have a friend that has sawed off most of his fingers over the years, and I think of him every time I get near my power saws, chop saws, or spinning blades of any type.
Glad that was a typo

My late dad was totally blind from a heavy equipment accident when he was about 30.
In later years he had a wood working shop, tabletop saw, you name it.
Don't remember him ever drawing blood.
My fingers or hands bleed at the sight of a saw or wrench.
01-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #22563
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My fingers or hands bleed at the sight of a saw or wrench.
I am oh so cautious around my table saw. It can injure you so fast and in so many ways. I don't use a blade guard, they are mostly in the way and can actually be more dangerous that without, but I take every precaution I can. No rings, no jewelry, no long sleeve shirts to hang up....safety glasses and a clean working area.

I was working in a man's house maybe 40 years ago installing cedar siding in a bathroom remodel job. My table saw was in his living room (the entire home was vacant for remodeling) and I kept telling him not to stand in front of the saw when I was ripping lumber. He laughed it off, and later as my helper was ripping a knotty 2x4 it hung and shot out the front of the saw like a rocket. Went through two sheetrock walls and hit hard enough it dislodged some exterior brick. It would have gone right through a man.
Another danger is someone entering as you are sawing and tapping you on the back to get your attention.......grounds for firing them, and I have fired a few for just that.

When a saw is turned on, it is time to get deadly serious......or you might just get dead.

OTOH
- I do a deadly dance with ladders.....sort of like a snake charmer that has been bitten few time but survived. I need to re-think my thinking...after two broken feet, my dancing is not all that good anymore!

Regards!
01-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #22564
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Been up since 3AM.......Can't sleep.
Ever happen to you?

Regards!
Only 3 or 4 nights a week.

Last edited by Parallax; 01-12-2016 at 12:52 PM.
01-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #22565
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My mother saw a guy lose his fingers to a circular saw when she was small, and every time I said I was going out to the shed to work on a project, the first words out of her mouth were "don't cut your fingers off". (Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mom.)

I do still have a scar on the inside of a finger from the time my wooden-train-coupler-magnet-pocket-drilling-jig slipped. It went something like this: jig slips, fingers get near bit - "I should put on gloves, but I'm just doing this one piece" - jig slips, whirling bit runs along inside of finger - "I'll stop the bleeding, then I'm putting on gloves".
01-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #22566
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Power tools can do so much so fast. Had a couple of scares but never actually hurt. Cutting firewood is dangerous, so irregular.
01-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #22567
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Power tools can do so much so fast. Had a couple of scares but never actually hurt.
I've never hurt myself with a power tool.
Hand tools? Entirely different story(s).

01-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #22568
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Power tools can do so much so fast. Had a couple of scares but never actually hurt. Cutting firewood is dangerous, so irregular.
I had a near mishap using an impact driver trying to loosen pennies from my truck's console.
01-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #22569
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Hammers and hand-eye coordination can sometimes be challenging for me.
01-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #22570
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I won't be in the same county when some of my friends try to operate a log splitter.
01-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #22571
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Me too. And hurting myself on the stuff I was working, like tin snipping gals iron sheet.
01-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #22572
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

My grandpa got a log in return when the circle saw grabbed it, took it for a spin, then loosed it at crotch height. The saw had a guard welded in place that very same day.
01-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #22573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
My grandpa got a log in return when the circle saw grabbed it, took it for a spin, then loosed it at crotch height. The saw had a guard welded in place that very same day.
Would that be considered a login or logout problem?
01-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #22574
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Would that be considered a login or logout problem?
The problem was definitely the logout
01-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #22575
Veteran Member

Done for the day...ran out of wood. No accidents to report. My project is to cover my shop ceiling with wooden pickets ...painted. It is more than I bargained for...very tedious and is going to require more effort than I wanted. When they are all up, the trim will take as long or longer than the pickets.

The shop below is in great shape after work on it last year...

The ceiling is not so easy.... The damn pickets are not all the same dimensions......they work but look uneven. I have a trim solution for that but it will require a lot of extra work .There will be three fake beams to add to the appearance and cover the middle where the pickets meet.
I'm a damn good carpenter, but I'd much rather be under a house repairing water or sewer lines...and this pays nothing!

Spent two days getting half of it covered.

Looks ugly to me, but the trim will make all the difference, and trim is what I do best.......well, I used to!

When I get all done.....whenever the hell that may be...I'll post some finished shots.

Regards!