Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #23236
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Anyone else think I'm bluffing?
Squirrels. They don't seem to have the slightest fear of you......why is that, and why can't we get some control over them? sq1sq2sq1

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The regional enclaves used to be much more distinct. Over the last 30 years or so people have moved across the boundaries in search of the American Dream. As they have settled far from 'home', their customs and habits have become diluted, modified, blended, with those of the people in the areas they have migrated to.

Add to that the influx of yet even more people from just about every corner of the globe, also chasing the American Dream.

Lots and lots of dilution.

So right Racer!
My youngest son met and married a Korean girl when he was stationed in Germany. She was attending a university there and he was serving in NATO Command.

When he retired they moved to Texas and for the first 6 months or so she would only eat rice and fish. They hit all the fish markets several times a week, and he bought her a rice cooker and that was about all she was interested in eating.

As she integrated with the family, she nibbled on this or that and in short order realized that American food is delicious...in particular a big Texas Chicken Fried Steak! After 3 years she is a 100% American food eater......since they live in San Antonio, that includes some of the finest Mexican dishes in the world.

Her parents came for a 3 month visit last summer....they arrived as fish eaters. My son took them on a tour all across America. Great people they are. When they left I asked her Dad what he would miss most about Texas......Chicken Fried Steak!

Janice with her parents at the Opera House here in Granbury...we saw the play Mary Poppins....wonderful!

Janice and my son at the opera

Yes, people adapt to their new environments in many ways. I have a friend here that owns a chain of Convenience Stores.....he has been here 40 years from Saudi.....and is almost as much Texan as I am. If he has any leftover customs from his homeland, I've never seen them.

Becoming an American just happens...over time. Some never make it, but the vast majority do...and if they don't, their children do. The temptations of the American Dream are too hard to resist! From smart phones to McDonalds, America lures young people into our culture.......Chicken Fried Steaks play a part too!

Janice just got her Citizenship in October....she was so proud! Wonderful girl and one of the best parts of our extended family.

Mrs Rupert loves her to death...me too..she is a delightful person, family minded and becoming as American as Mrs Rupert!

Name:  Statue of Liberty.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  15.1 KB

...and we will give them...Chicken Fried Steak!.....or two! God Bless America!

Regards!

02-07-2016, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #23237
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well old Rupert, I don't know whether to wipe tears or drool.

02-07-2016, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #23238
Pentaxian

I have to go have breakfast now, BRB.
02-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #23239
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Let me restate that this thread will not turn to politics.
One post deleted.
Anyone else think I'm bluffing?
Can we talk Religion?
Nobility vs. Peasntry?
Manning or Newton?

Last edited by monochrome; 02-07-2016 at 08:36 AM.
02-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #23240
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Time to get this thread back on important matters.
Like bacon and cheese.

Is that bacon or belly pork?
02-07-2016, 08:12 AM   #23241
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Is that bacon or belly pork?
Bacon I cured and smoked from belly pork.

02-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #23242
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Squirrels. They don't seem to have the slightest fear of you......why is that, and why can't we get some control over them? :sq1::sq2::sq1:

So right Racer!
My youngest son met and married a Korean girl when he was stationed in Germany. She was attending a university there and he was serving in NATO Command.

...and we will give them...Chicken Fried Steak!.....or two! God Bless America!

Regards!
She adapted. When I go to US I eat things that seem normal there and generally enjoy it. On the most recent trip I went to some place called Chipotle, before I heard of some kind of problem they had. At least I did not suffer the evidence produced by that problem. I also got a burger from 'The Habit'. One of the better burgers in a place that looks like a fast food joint I have had. Getting closer to the more up market gourmet burger places in Australia. Their chips (they are thicker than fries) were not so good, they seemed to get cold a bit too quick. Also went to a nice restaurant with a friend on the last evening.

And when I go to the far east I like to eat their kind of stuff, like smelly tofu.

And in England there are pubs. Pub dinners are nice friendly dinners that usually seem rather like home cooked food.

Someone help. I found and bought some stuff called Tabasco Pepper Jelly. What is it meant to used for? Seems OK as a jam, to spread on bread. Is it for that, or meant to be used as a meat condiment?

---------- Post added 02-08-16 at 01:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Bacon I cured and smoked from belly pork.
That explains the appearance. I am used to seeing bacon only in thin slices.
02-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #23243
Site Supporter

Just in time for your Super Bowl party:

02-07-2016, 08:40 AM   #23244
Site Supporter

Someone help. I found and bought some stuff called Tabasco Pepper Jelly. What is it meant to used for? Seems OK as a jam, to spread on bread. Is it for that, or meant to be used as a meat condiment?
I'm not familiar with the stuff, but it seems people use it both to spread on bread and as an ingredient when cooking. Combining it with cream cheese looks rather nice.

Need food. Back later.

Last edited by savoche; 02-07-2016 at 08:58 AM.
02-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #23245
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm not familiar with the stuff, but it seems people use it both to spread on bread and as an ingredient when coming. Combining it with cream cheese looks rather nice.

Need food. Back later.
Thanks, I never thought of the 'mix with cream cheese' possibility.
02-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #23246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Can we talk Religion?
Nobility vs. Peasntry?
Manning or Newton?
Newton. Manning is washed up.
02-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #23247
Site Supporter

Thanks, I never thought of the 'mix with cream cheese' possibility.
The one I saw put it on top of the cheese spread.

Need more food. Back later.
02-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #23248
Site Supporter

I just tried a food experiment.

I have bought the large pack of dried cranberries from Costco. (This raises two unrelated to my present story questions: why is Ocean Spray the only company that has exploited the idea of selling processed cranberries, it is long enough they have been doing it that any patent would have expired by now; and why is Costco the only shop tat has the big pack (1.35kg).

Anyway, I found that the cranberries stuck together into big lumps. That is a bit inconvenient when trying to spoon a regular amount out of the pack. So I took them from the pack and carefuly divided them so each one is separate, and put them into a large food container. Now I will find out whether they re-clump or not. If they do not re-clump then I wil assume that the reason is something to do with them being stored in a big pile before packing or in a pallet of packets before it got to the shop.
02-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #23249
Site Supporter

My daughter makes terrific pepper jelly.
It's great on pork, or just soften a block of cream cheese and dump it on top, serve with crackers.

02-07-2016, 09:57 AM   #23250
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Newton. Manning is washed up.
All the ladies in my family are betting on one more miracle from 'Peytie Pie'. I don't get it, of course, so I just go along.

I think Cam Newton will shine but the game could hinge on some weird play.

Carolina is awfully good - for the first time in years I'll be happy if either team wins, but I'm so over the NFL that I really do plan to do something else tonight.