Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #23266
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
So... who got their post bounced??
Amazingly, it wasn't a squirrel. Squirrels don't do much politics, but they sure do go after those "Jumpers" .

02-08-2016, 06:38 AM   #23267
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
From Wikipedia: "Politics (from Greek: πολιτικός politikos, definition "of, for, or relating to citizens") is the practice and theory of influencing other people. Politics involves the making of a common decision for a group of people, that is, a uniform decision applying in the same way to all members of the group. It also involves the use of power by one person to affect the behavior of another person. More narrowly, it refers to achieving and exercising positions of governance — organized control over a human community, particularly a state. Furthermore, politics is the study or practice of the distribution of power and resources within a given community (a usually hierarchically organized population) as well as the interrelationship(s) between communities."

So, saying we won't turn to politics in itself "involves the use of power by one person to affect the behaviour of another person" and is therefore, by definition "politics". Hmm.

Don't you just love internal contradictions and ethical dilemmas? Not to mention exercises in pedantry.

Pass the HP sauce, please.
There's no conflict whatever. The forum rules, Adam's rules, the rules every one here agreed to when joining prohibit political discussion not directly related to photography.
Maybe it's time to close this one since focus of the thread seem to be shifting to what is and isn't politics and what should and shouldnt be allowed.
02-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #23268
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Maybe it's time to close this one since focus of the thread seem to be shifting to what is and isn't politics and what should and shouldnt be allowed.
You sure you want to close squirrel's main source here for exotic nuts? No peppers on earth would match the heat from that action.

Gusty winds can drive you insane....wait until tomorrow, you'll feel better!
02-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #23269
Site Supporter

Rupert, could you send Otis over here? I need to get this uncheeseful weather adjusted, and more than a bit. No micro-adjustment will do, that's for sure.

That is, I assume Otis and his army are the ones who control weather?

Of course it is. Sorry.

02-08-2016, 07:13 AM - 3 Likes   #23270
Pentaxian

There's no conflict whatever. The forum rules, Adam's rules, the rules every one here agreed to when joining prohibit political discussion not directly related to photography.
If you guys blow it again, I'm not starting another "Refugees" thread. Ya shoulda learned your lesson the first time.
02-08-2016, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #23271
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you guys blow it again, I'm not starting another "Refugees" thread. Ya shoulda learned your lesson the first time.
Yep. How hard can it be to accept the rules? They are quite simple.

Rule number one:

02-08-2016, 07:26 AM   #23272
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not before we beat the ABC thread!!!
02-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #23273
Site Supporter

Give me an 'A'!

02-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #23274
Pentaxian

This is where people come to use their intelligence to be witty, to out do each other in inventive ridiculousness. Those who want to do that, should have their place to go. There's lots of places to do the other thing. I go on the CBC news site and talk politics all the time. This thread is about the ridiculous, that just might be serious.

We all know discussing cheese is ridiculous, but sometimes you wonder about the Veleeta posts. Are those guys serious? Or are they joking like the rest of us... I don't know. DO they really love that stuff so much, they defend it like they are defending their honour? I think they are joking, but hey, it's possible they are not.

Velveeta brings up serious ethical considerations, that need to be considered. If you don't understand that , you're in the wrong thread..

Last edited by normhead; 02-08-2016 at 08:16 AM.
02-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #23275
Loyal Site Supporter

I think most of us forget the politics rule every now and then. I know I do.

That's why Moderators gently remind us when we forget.
02-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #23276
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
sometimes you wonder about the Veleeta posts. Are those guys serious? Or are they joking like the rest of us..
I wonder about some of them, as well. For others, however, the word "hopeless" come to mind.
02-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #23277
Loyal Site Supporter

but sometimes you wonder about the Veleeta posts. Are those guys serious?
Damn right we are serious!

Velveeta brings up serious ethical considerations, that need to be considered. If you don't understand that , you're in the wrong thread..
Are you saying the members of the Velveeta Party are not welcome here? We don't attack bacon.....who the hell would attack bacon? Maybe you? First the Velveeta...then the bacon....it's a slippery slope.

We will fight for our Velveeta...and our bacon, and even Canadian Bacon, despite your threats.
02-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #23278
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Are you saying the members of the Velveeta Party are not welcome here?
I'm saying they seem to take things a bit more seriously than everyone else. Do I have to explain everything?
02-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #23279
Site Supporter

I'm saying they seem to take things a bit more seriously than everyone else. Do I have to explain everything?
Much like Sony shooters, then?
02-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #23280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Much like Sony shooters, then?
Pretty much the same.