Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #23566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nope, it sounds just like the time Otis told me how it was going to be in the future...and damn it...it is!
Time to eradicate the rodents, deploy CBU105 perhaps?

02-13-2016, 08:29 PM - 2 Likes   #23567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
where's your St Louis Spirit?
It was in the Smithsonian, the last time I checked:

02-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #23568
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Too true!
02-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #23569
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I love beef stew and it is almost as good as bacon.

The stew would be even better with bacon in it.

02-13-2016, 11:19 PM   #23570
Pentaxian

Almost as good as bacon candy too??
Ooooohhh yummmmm!!! What do you do, glaze them with brown sugar or molasses or something along those lines?
02-14-2016, 12:18 AM   #23571
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Imagine how it is when you are in the truck and a drive tire blows. Happened to me a half dozen times, and every single time gave me a start like no other.

I was in Tonkawa, Oklahoma getting fuel when another driver failed to clear the concrete pier at the end of the fuel island. About jumped out of my skin.

Footballers and the rest become professional when they demonstrate in the amateur arenas that they are pretty good. Why do professional drivers do such appalling things, or are they just amateurs who are being paid?
02-14-2016, 02:04 AM   #23572
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Footballers and the rest become professional when they demonstrate in the amateur arenas that they are pretty good. Why do professional drivers do such appalling things, or are they just amateurs who are being paid?

If you are referring to the picture of the truck with the axle ripped out of the carriage, well, its like this.

Turnover in many of the large trucking companies is around 200% annually. That truck belongs to one of those companies. The pay is low, pressure to deliver loads on time is unreasonably high with equally unreasonable deadlines.

These companies are known as starter carriers and often also train drivers.

Using drivers with little experience train the new drivers.

They operate as a team, so when the student is driving, the instructor is in the bunk, asleep.

(Did you catch that? Asleep.)

Anyway, how much knowledge and experience can a driver with 6 months behind the wheel have to pass on, right?

Sad, isn't it?

02-14-2016, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #23573
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe they could give these guys some lessons? Can't complain too much it's only $2.89 at Aldis and will put one heck of a shine on dress shoes!

I like the name...Winking Owl....they ran out of my other favorite....Freakin' Frog.
I have never tasted that brand of shoe polish, but not all snobs find it to be terrible, apparently:

http://www.metasip.co/why-a-3-wine-from-aldi-is-worthwhile/

What can I say. I'm impressed by the Texan oenological élite.
02-14-2016, 06:37 AM   #23574
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Ooooohhh yummmmm!!! What do you do, glaze them with brown sugar or molasses or something along those lines?
Thanks!
For these I cut thick slices of bacon, sprinkled on brown sugar while laid flat, rolled and put a dab more brown sugar and a little fresh ground black pepper on top.
grilled indirect with charcoal.

02-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #23575
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Never seen the real deal, but we have a replica at the Missouri History Museum here in St Louis.
02-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #23576
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never seen the real deal, but we have a replica at the Missouri History Museum here in St Louis.
I've actually seen both. Our replica appears quite accurate.

As far as where my spirit is - I have a propane grill. When it works at all at 8° it doesn't work well. mrs. monochrome and I went out for dinner last night, which is as much of this weather as I will voluntarily tolerate. I'm old and I'm cold.

Some young guy next to us was wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt, but he had a thick, THICK layer of 'insulation' to protect his internal organs. Looked like a million calories of insulation.
02-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #23577
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have never tasted that brand of shoe polish, but not all snobs find it to be terrible, apparently:

http://www.metasip.co/why-a-3-wine-from-aldi-is-worthwhile/

What can I say. I'm impressed by the Texan oenological élite.
Me too! Here I am one of those oenological élites, and just a day ago I didn't even know I were one!

That was a good article, thanks! I do love Aldis, it's fun shopping and the prices are great. They have some unusual products and most are surprisingly good. The other day I bought some frozen breaded chicken patties that were not really chicken, but a combination of "healthy" ingredients. How were they? Better than real chicken patties and less fat and other negative nutrients. And...they were cheap, about .50 cents a pattie. Microwave in 2 minutes, add some chicken gravy and some fresh veggies from Aldi's wonderful low priced veggie section, and you have a quick and easy nutritious meal. If you serve a glass of Winking Owl with it, you can pass it off as "gourmet eating"...all for just a few dollars.

Regards!

---------- Post added 02-14-16 at 08:41 AM ----------

Anyway, how much knowledge and experience can a driver with 6 months behind the wheel have to pass on, right?

Sad, isn't it?
Racer, I have seen that first hand. Where I used to eat lunch a "Training Truck" came by every day and the trainees piled out for lunch. The trainer had some of the most interesting stories I have ever heard about the training business. They did a lot of recruiting on skid row, the county jail, and the rescue missions.
The jest of the program was to enroll the trainees and get Govt grants for their tuition, housing, and training. It was a total scam. I once asked her how many went on to become successful drivers? She told me that in her 8 years as a trainer, none that she knew of. From the looks of the ones I saw daily, we are all better off that they didn't!

---------- Post added 02-14-16 at 08:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Time to eradicate the rodents, deploy CBU105 perhaps?
I have a reply to that if Otis will declassify and let me post it? I'll check with him and get back with you. I've seen it and it scared the hell out of me.
02-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #23578
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you are referring to the picture of the truck with the axle ripped out of the carriage, well, its like this.

Turnover in many of the large trucking companies is around 200% annually. That truck belongs to one of those companies. The pay is low, pressure to deliver loads on time is unreasonably high with equally unreasonable deadlines.

These companies are known as starter carriers and often also train drivers.

Using drivers with little experience train the new drivers.

They operate as a team, so when the student is driving, the instructor is in the bunk, asleep.

(Did you catch that? Asleep.)

Sad, isn't it?
I thought the answer would be something like this. Our desire to cut cost in what we buy ripples back through the supply chain till some poor truck driver cannot even drive legally and safely and satisfy the boss. In England the motorway speed limit is 60mph for large vehicles and 70mph for cars. Some truck companies have decided it is cheaper for their drivers to drive at a speed a bit below 60mph on the road and all are speed governed to 60mph. It causes serious congestion on a 3 lane (each way) motorway when a truck doing 60 pulls out to the middle lane to pass a truck doing 58, and then when they hit a hill, maybe the one doing the passing loses ground on the 58 truck, even further extended the time blocking the middle lane of the route, allowing only one lane to pass at 70. Also, it is a requirement to only pass on the right, and when there are trucks ahead many people do not pull back to the left lane for fear of smoothly changing right to pass the next truck.

Back to the matter of the footballers. I remember hearing coaches, after their team lost, saying the players should be more professional. So if the distinguishing mark of professional is getting paid for the playing, then presumably the power to make them more professional is in the hands of the coach: pay them more.
02-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #23579
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So if the distinguishing mark of professional is getting paid for the playing, then presumably the power to make them more professional is in the hands of the coach: pay them more.
Yep, what player can be expected to live a decent life on 5 $$$ million a year? It's amazing that they even show up on game day, isn't it? Of course by the time they are 40-45 they are suffering dementia and don't realize how little they were paid, so in the end it all works out.

I have a reply to that if Otis will declassify and let me post it? I'll check with him and get back with you. I've seen it and it scared the hell out of me.
Otis let me use this drawing to show you his secret weapon that the military used to steal his idea. He doesn't have my fine art drawing abilities, but you can get the idea of how it works. He also mentions the biological aspect...all the squirrels deployed have rabies.

Name:  Secret Weapon.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  141.2 KB

You know, Mrs Rupert may be right....I have too much free time and don't use it to get anything constructive done? Heck, I thought that's what getting old was all about.....doing not much of anything and enjoying it!

Regards!
02-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #23580
Pentaxian

K3 loves you ... rinse & repeat.