Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #23791
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Car load of Pentaxians the moment the K-1 was announced?
Looking closely at the silver van, the driver appears to be very short and wearing what looks like a fur coat with a... fluffy tail?

Last edited by THoog; 02-20-2016 at 03:23 AM.
02-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #23792
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thoog Quote
fluffy tail?
Otis!?!?
02-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #23793
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Otis!?!?
Or his cousin, Oleg!
02-20-2016, 03:08 AM   #23794
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
From what I've seen of Russian dashcam videos, what we consider insanely dangerous, they consider "Thursday".
My Belarus friend would wholeheartedly agree

02-20-2016, 03:14 AM   #23795
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
In the Dallas explosion, cars and trucks were still going by on the nearby freeway as if nothing happened.
I'm amazed that didn't result in one massive BLEVE.
02-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #23796
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Videos like this always leave me with questions.

Why did it take so long for the police to arrive?

Why is it that for over three minutes there still are no fire crews on the scene?

Why are so many dipsticks hanging out so close? Those cylinders have a huge amount of pressure in them, as is evidenced by the ones rocketing about randomly. Very dangerous.

1) When were police & fire informed of the accident? By the fellow with the cell phone?
2) How accurately was the location of the accident given?
3) How far away were police & fire from the scene? 500 feet? Eight miles? Fifteen miles?
4) How quickly could the fire department assemble its personnel and get their trucks running and out of the garage?
5) What were the roads like between the location of police & fire stations and the highway where the accident happened? Big? Small? Devoid of traffic or congested? Open and one way or with many cross streets, stops signs and traffic lights?
6) How far is it from the nearest highway entry ramp police or fire could use to get onto the highway and the scene of the accident?
7) The highway became completely blocked in both directions, all lanes, probably back a half mile, or mile, or several miles within a few minutes of the accident. From which direction should fire & police approach? Which direction on the highway will be more clear of stopped traffic? How/where are stopped cars going to get out of the way of emergency vehicles coming up behind them? What speed, therefore, is possible for any police or fire vehicle to travel on the highway to the accident?
8) It is illegal to leave the scene of an accident if you are a witness. Therefore all vehicles traveling in either direction at the time of the accident are required to stop, which blocks any vehicles behind from proceeding.
9) Considering vehicles traveling in the same lanes as the accident, even if they saw the accident, should they attempt to drive past then pull over so that cars behind that did not witness the event could drive past the accident, in the adjacent lanes? Should any vehicles traveling in the same lanes as the accident attempt to pass the the inferno to make way for police & fire coming up behind? Is that safe to do?

Asking why it took so long for police or fire to arrive isn't vaguely reasonable or realistic.
02-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #23797
Pentaxian

I am deeply sorry for bringing photography and gear into the thread, but because this place is all about fun and laughter, I couldn't help myself but share with you the thoughts of the magnificent Ken Rockwell on the new K-1:

"NEW: Pentax K-1. Pentax' first try at a full-frame DSLR.

It's got 36MP at a sluggish 4.4 FPS with sensor stabilization and two SD slots for $1,800.

I'd pass; a 6D or D750 are superior cameras and parts of superior systems, unless you're counting pixels — but if you're counting pixels, I seriously doubt your photos ever amount to anything. Everything below 50 MP falls into the same bin in my book, and ergonomics and system thoroughness mean far more than pixel count per dollar.

Not that I have anything against Pentax; they've played fourth fiddle behind Canon, LEICA and Nikon ever since the 1970s. I love my Pentax Spot Meters (and Ansel Adams also swore by his), but I can do without Pentax' primitive DSLRs unless I was some Aspergers case hoping to use my ancient manual-focus Pentax lenses. Pentax' manual focus lenses are also inferior to Nikon's AI and AI-s and Canon's FD lenses.

[...]

The Pentax is a paper tiger. It looks great on paper to those with less experience as to what really matters in a camera, but I have yet to see a Pentax DSLR that handles as well as a Nikon or Canon. I doubt they will magically have a brand new user interface that suddenly just works great. I've been shooting long and hard for over 40 years, and some things never change. The Pentax have been loaded with foolish parlour tricks, like pixel-shift resolution, and short on reality like a noisy in-camera AF motor, lack of VR and IS lenses (sensor shift is a lousy way to stabilize images), and a ugly menu fonts and layout.

What would have been much better is if Pentax made a Holy Grail: a Leica-M mount full-frame mirrorless body with the superior tonal and color rendition of a Nikon or Canon camera, the ergonomic brilliance of an iPhone, an excellent built-in flash and a fantastic EVF."

I sure miss the 'ergonomic brilliance of an iPhone' in my DSLRs ...
02-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #23798
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Asking why it took so long for police or fire to arrive isn't vaguely reasonable or realistic.
Maybe you haven't been tuning in to TV or Cable lately and listening to our "best and brightest"? Asking for reason or logic in America is what is not vaguely realistic. We no longer live in that world. It's why I get my reason from squirrels, they still make more sense than what I see in real life nowadays.

02-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #23799
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I am deeply sorry for bringing photography and gear into the thread
Unleash the hounds on this fox!

02-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #23800
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I am deeply sorry for bringing photography and gear into the thread, but because this place is all about fun and laughter, I couldn't help myself but share with you the thoughts of the magnificent Ken Rockwell on the new K-1:
Nothing unexpected about that...nor is it unexpected that the worst bashers will be found here at PF and they will claim they are loyal Pentaxians.

I hang out with squirrels, they make a lot more sense than many of those in the FF threads. Like Otis says..."if you don't like peanuts then don't eat them, it's not like there is nothing else to eat.....are you some kind of wingnut?"

That's as much seriousness as I care to see in this thread, we are famous for nonsense, and proud of it. Let's keep it that way!
02-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #23801
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, good. I'm glad this was posted here. I was afraid it wouldn't be discussed in enough threads. :headbang:
02-20-2016, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #23802
Pentaxian

02-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #23803
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Unleash the hounds on this fox!
Bring it on!

Now, I wasn't aware it had been such a big thing, so my deep apologies and let us just return to the subject of squirrels.
02-20-2016, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #23804
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Oh, good. I'm glad this was posted here. I was afraid it wouldn't be discussed in enough threads. :headbang:
I was a volunteer firefighter in high school. I was trying to figure out how how we would have attacked a truck fire like that with the equipment we had. Short answer: we wouldn't.

The best I could come up with was to scream for more water tankers, pull the big "surround-and-drown" 2 1/2" line, and throw some water at it from as far as possible and see if that would help or just make it mad.

I'm sorry, were we talking about something else?
02-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #23805
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I'm sorry, we're we talking about something else?
LOL