Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #23896
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The problem with watching Russian dashcam compilations is that afterwards, when you hop in the car to go buy groceries, you spend the entire time driving with your toes curled waiting for the inevitable wreck, and hoping it won't be one where the car with the camera is involved. Then, when someone does something stupid in front of you (like an illegal U-turn in the middle of a busy 4-lane street) and DOESN'T get nailed by oncoming traffic, you feel... disappointed.
After seeing that this morning before going to work someone pulled out of a tee junction toward my lane when I was in the 60mph zone a few miles before I got to work. Not nice.

02-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #23897
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You snake defenders have to look at it from a squirrel's perspective...and that pretty much gives it. Otis advises that all you snake lovers are welcome to all he can round up and send you, he'll even pay for shipping. That Otis, he's a heck of a nice squirrel!
While I am generally pro-squirrel, no snake ever dug all the dirt out of the flowers pots on my deck or chewed up all the marigolds. Just sayin'.

Hmm... I wonder if a rubber snake on the deck would do anything for that problem - apart from give me a heart attack when I forget that I put it out there?
02-22-2016, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #23898
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Worked with a guy that was terribly afraid of snakes.
Needless to say, every time we found a little non-poisonous snake, it was ready for him when he opened his lunch pail.
02-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #23899
Loyal Site Supporter

While I am generally pro-squirrel, no snake ever dug all the dirt out of the flowers pots on my deck or chewed up all the marigolds. Just sayin'.
Just feed them....they like sunflower seeds and peanuts better than your plants......just do it....just sayin'!

Hmm... I wonder if a rubber snake on the deck would do anything for that problem - apart from give me a heart attack when I forget that I put it out there?
If it is a Otis Army trained squirrel you can forget that idea. If you have a pet snake, by all means put him out there!
https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=vmn&type=vmn__webcompa__1_0__ya__ch_WCYID...+attacks+snake

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=vmn&type=vmn__webcompa__1_0__ya__ch_WCYID...+attacks+snake
Regards!

02-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #23900
Pentaxian

Oh ... Rupert uses Yahoo search ...
02-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #23901
Loyal Site Supporter

Just feed them....they like sunflower seeds and peanuts better than your plants......just do it....just sayin'!
I will NOT give in to extortion! (Besides, they'd probably just decide that the all-you-can-eat buffet had expanded the menu.)

That was hardly a fair fight - gopher snakes don't even bite when they strike. Try that on a black rat snake, and it won't go well for the mammal!
02-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #23902
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Although, I suspect there be some regional variation within France.
Been on a 5 lane(might have been 4 lane) round-about in Paris at 5 PM driving a Ford Transit camper. Took a while to migrate from the left most lane to a point that afforded an exit.
02-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #23903
Loyal Site Supporter

That was hardly a fair fight - gopher snakes don't even bite when they strike. Try that on a black rat snake, and it won't go well for the mammal!
Not so fast.......squirrels can handle a rat snake or a rattler....and they can use their tails for "Big Brain Thinking"!
Squirrel vs. snake: Bet on the squirrel | The Seattle Times

02-22-2016, 10:27 PM   #23904
Loyal Site Supporter

Not so fast.......squirrels can handle a rat snake or a rattler....and they can use their tails for "Big Brain Thinking"!
No way! That might work on a California rattlesnake, but Black Rat Snakes are 'way too stupid to be fooled by those tricks.
02-23-2016, 02:03 AM   #23905
Pentaxian

California ground squirrels have developed resistance to some rattlesnake venom which allows them to fight the snakes with some impunity. Nonetheless nearly 70% of the rattlesnake's diet consists of squirrels.

https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/feisty-squirrels-hold-clues-treatment-rattlesnake-bites

Calfornia ground squirrels have other tricks up their sleeves
02-23-2016, 02:41 AM   #23906

I think this quote sums it up: "The doctors' conclusion was that the typical snakebite victim is male and under thirty, with a blood-alcohol concentration of more than 0.1 percent at the time he is bitten."

At least the victim was somewhat anesthetized when he was bitten. Probably didn't feel a thing.
02-23-2016, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #23907
Site Supporter

Squirrel vs. snake: Bet on the squirrel | The Seattle Times
Are you telling me that honey badgers really are king size squirrels?

02-23-2016, 06:00 AM   #23908
Pentaxian

And here's the best honey badger video to be found

I saw one of these little rascals in Namibia, but it wasn't close enough to my ... ahem ... photographic device of unknown maker and model to capture a decent image.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
02-23-2016, 06:22 AM   #23909
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I saw one of these little rascals in Namibia, but it wasn't close enough to my ... ahem ... photographic device of unknown maker and model to capture a decent image.
Closer than the one I saw in Kgalagadi last year - that one was too far away to even try capturing it with my... photographic device (which I cannot remember the maker of right now).
02-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #23910
Site Supporter

Badgers ?!