Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #24796

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Actually, I went beyond. I was in Aldis and in line to checkout with a basket full when an up the street neighbor that I have had some harsh words with on several occasions stepped in behind me with a jar of jelly...nothing else. "Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and you were out of jelly?"

Yep, that was it. Normally I might have said, "too bad you are too dumb to think ahead." But.....I stepped aside and said "go ahead of me." He damn hear collapsed with a heart attack, you should have seen the look on his face!

Diplomacy.......I know all about it and how to use it, it is shameful when I don't. Old as I am, it is not too late to try harder. Otis sees it differently, he says he would have said..."You are already a big fat ugly dumb slob...and you're buying sugar filled jelly?"

Regards!

Jim, you are my h3r0.

03-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #24797
Site Supporter

Damn! I missed a chance to get rid of the fat slob!
You'll just have to admit it. You're not half as evil as Bob's daughter.

Wait.

What just happened there?

03-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #24798
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Jim, you are my h3r0.
So...you are not proud of Otis? He means well....except when he doesn't!

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 01:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
What just happened there?
Split personality???
03-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #24799
Site Supporter

Split personality???
Me? No, I'm just two-faced.

03-25-2016, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #24800
Loyal Site Supporter

Had to take a break to be a real hero! Mrs Rupert came in from working in the yard in a panic....Copperhead! I rushed out and saved the day.....he was about a foot long...just a newbie. There must be more.......watch out Mrs Rupert! Her yard work suddenly stopped!

Actually, he was a bay Bull Snake.....I didn't want to tell her and ruin my hero status. I relocated him to a safe place where he can live without worry.
Very possible this is his mama? They have a foul temper...the little devil struck at me a dozen times with mouth wide open.

When I caught her a few years ago she wrapped my arm so tight she was hard to get loose...and struck at me like crazy. They eat mostly lizards, frogs, and.......rodents! Look out Otis!
03-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #24801
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
rodents! Look out Otis
We've been doing it wrong!

We don't need tanks, we need snakes...?
03-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #24802
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
We don't need tanks, we need snakes...?
Apparently, we need prairie dogs:

Prairie Dogs Are Serial Killers That Murder Their Competition

Squirrel-on-squirrel violence is so sad...
03-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #24803
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Yes, that is a very sad story. However, Otis says it is no coincidence that in England and the East Coast Red Squirrels are diminishing and Fox Squirrels are expanding. When I pressed him further all he would say is that with sweet potatoes and cornbread, they are "probably" delicious.

Snakes....we have plenty here. There is hardly a day that the Jays don't sound the alarm. They are very "snake observant" and will gather in a crowd and carry on like maniacs when a snake is spotted. Squirrels often join in by gathering and doing their own barking and tail ruffling. Sometimes I go out to see what kind it is...sometimes not. Mostly non-venomous around here, but I have seen Copperheads and a few Rattlers. Last year the raccoons drug up a large Rattler and ate him, so I know a few are around.
A hungry raccoon will tackle most anything and though not lightning fast like a cat, they have those very agile hands that can be plenty fast enough. I'm pretty certain their body odor can kill a snake...it can damn near do me in!

Regards!

03-25-2016, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #24804
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A long black rat snake in our yard a couple of years ago.
Rat snakes eat birds, eggs, lizards, frogs, other snakes, chipmunks, squirrels, small rabbits, mice, rats, bats, voles, shrews, and other small mammals.

03-25-2016, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #24805
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
A long black rat snake in our yard a couple of years ago.
One winter day I was working under a doublewide mobile home running gas line for a new furnace and on the flange of one of the large I-beams there was long black rat snake all stretched out and comfy. The heat ducts ran just above him so he had found a warm place to winter and maybe even catch a mouse every so often. I was working just below him and he flickered his tongue but never moved.....we stayed friends, and I assume he spent the rest of the winter there.

Regards!
03-26-2016, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #24806
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Saturday morning. Time for the weekly ritual of putting the clothes in the washing machine, then taking them out and putting them in the dryer, and, I have discovered, if they are ironed while still warm they are much easier to iron. If no time to iron, at least shake out and hang so they do not rest on themselves in a pile while cooling from the dryer.
03-26-2016, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #24807

Had to take a break to be a real hero! Mrs Rupert came in from working in the yard in a panic....Copperhead! I rushed out and saved the day.....he was about a foot long...just a newbie. There must be more.......watch out Mrs Rupert! Her yard work suddenly stopped!

Actually, he was a bay Bull Snake.....I didn't want to tell her and ruin my hero status. I relocated him to a safe place where he can live without worry.
Very possible this is his mama? They have a foul temper...the little devil struck at me a dozen times with mouth wide open.

When I caught her a few years ago she wrapped my arm so tight she was hard to get loose...and struck at me like crazy. They eat mostly lizards, frogs, and.......rodents! Look out Otis!

I like snakes.

Snakes eat bugs.

I don't like bugs.

Snakes are good.
03-26-2016, 01:00 AM   #24808

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Apparently, we need prairie dogs:

Prairie Dogs Are Serial Killers That Murder Their Competition

From the article:

QuoteQuote:
It’s the first time that a herbivorous mammal has been seen killing competitors without eating them, suggesting that a plant-based diet doesn’t preclude mammals from having a taste for bloodsport.

I suppose since humans are really more omnivorous our own taste for bloodsport really doesn't count.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-26-2016 at 10:14 AM.
03-26-2016, 01:03 AM   #24809

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Saturday morning. Time for the weekly ritual of putting the clothes in the washing machine, then taking them out and putting them in the dryer, and, I have discovered, if they are ironed while still warm they are much easier to iron. If no time to iron, at least shake out and hang so they do not rest on themselves in a pile while cooling from the dryer.

Been doing this for over 40 years. I'd like to think it is because I am smart, but really it is more likely because I am lazy and have better things to do than iron clothes.
03-26-2016, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #24810
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Been doing this for over 40 years. I'd like to think it is because I am smart, but really it is more likely because I am lazy and have better things to do than iron clothes.
Someone needs to tell this to the lady I used to work with on a home health job. In order to make herself look as if she did more work than the rest of us she insisted on ironing the clients clothing....... Most of it was knit slacks or wrinkle free shirts. Ugh.... She was one woman that was well practiced in how to fluff time.