Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #24826
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Army cadets?

I've been to CTC Blackdown which is right beside CFB Borden.
Not that far from Toronto (or Algonquin Park).

Now let me tell you how I got there...
Very interesting! My youngest son was in the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M University for 4 1/2 years. He turned down an appointment to West Point to be an Aggie and in the Corp like my Dad. It was a tough ride for him the first two years, about 70% drop out the first semester in the Corp. Tougher than the Army and very little time to study or have an outside life.
When he got his senior boots, it was one of the happiest days of his life....and my Dad, a Bird Colonel swore him in when he was commissioned into the US Army as a 2nd Ltn. He retired a couple of years ago after 22 years as a Lt Col and it all started as a Cadet....something he wanted to be since he was in the third grade and never once wavered in that desire.

What you are doing can lead you to places later in life that few will ever imagine. Doors open, opportunities abound. Sometimes it seems too difficult, too demanding, and just too frustrating, but down the road of life it will be one of the best parts of your life to recall.

Regards!

03-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #24827
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Very interesting! My youngest son was in the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M University for 4 1/2 years. He turned down an appointment to West Point to be an Aggie and in the Corp like my Dad. It was a tough ride for him the first two years, about 70% drop out the first semester in the Corp. Tougher than the Army and very little time to study or have an outside life.
When he got his senior boots, it was one of the happiest days of his life....and my Dad, a Bird Colonel swore him in when he was commissioned into the US Army as a 2nd Ltn. He retired a couple of years ago after 22 years as a Lt Col and it all started as a Cadet....something he wanted to be since he was in the third grade and never once wavered in that desire.

What you are doing can lead you to places later in life that few will ever imagine. Doors open, opportunities abound. Sometimes it seems too difficult, too demanding, and just too frustrating, but down the road of life it will be one of the best parts of your life to recall.

Regards!
That's slightly different than the Royal Canadian Army Cadets...
03-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #24828
Loyal Site Supporter

That's slightly different than the Royal Canadian Army Cadets...
Yes, of course, but also very similar in the results and the benefits. What you learn now will stay with you forever and help guide your path in life. Along with my son, every Cadet in his circle of best friends at A&M is a highly successful citizen. My son starts on his Doctors Degree in psychology this fall....and the Army pays for it...one of those benefits that started so long ago.

You can't underestimate the benefits of group participation in a special group like yours. Members take care of their own, and in life in the world down the road, this can make all the difference between success and failure.

No squirrel in Otis Army has ever missed a meal......sure, a couple have "been a meal" but there is always some sacrifice for the greater cause!

Regards!
03-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #24829
Pentaxian

Yes, of course, but also very similar in the results and the benefits. What you learn now will stay with you forever and help guide your path in life. Along with my son, every Cadet in his circle of best friends at A&M is a highly successful citizen. My son starts on his Doctors Degree in psychology this fall....and the Army pays for it...one of those benefits that started so long ago.

You can't underestimate the benefits of group participation in a special group like yours. Members take care of their own, and in life in the world down the road, this can make all the difference between success and failure.

No squirrel in Otis Army has ever missed a meal......sure, a couple have "been a meal" but there is always some sacrifice for the greater cause!

Regards!
Yep.

All the music I am learning would be costly, but I can do it free in cadets.

In the Air Cadets you can get a scholarship for your pilots license very easily. And save thousands.

03-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #24830

I do a lot of things around here......well, not really....I do keep up 4 vehicles, see that the yard is maintained, cook 99% of the meals, grocery shop ( I love to shop for groceries!) and wash up all the dirty pots & pans after cooking. If something is broken, I fix it. I keep Mrs Rupert in supply of a top notch computer, smart phone, printer, tablet etc. and anything she wants but is not knowledgeable enough to buy on her own. I let her run free...shopping at will and never questioning. I am no controller.

Jim, you are her kNiGhT iN sHiNiNg aRm0r.

And my h3r0.
03-26-2016, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #24831
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep.

All the music I am learning would be costly, but I can do it free in cadets.

In the Air Cadets you can get a scholarship for your pilots license very easily. And save thousands.
As you go down that road of life, you will find there is much more to it that that Bert....trust me!

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Jim, you are her kNiGhT iN sHiNiNg aRm0r.

And my h3r0.
Could you PM that to Mrs Rupert? She is a member here...Never mind.....the once she logged in she said were were all a bunch of childish little perverts mixed in with a few jackass fools...so it probably wouldn't carry much weight with her.

Regards!
03-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #24832

Could you PM that to Mrs Rupert?

I would be delighted, but can't find her profile.

Just show her my posts.

I can schmooze with the best of them.
03-26-2016, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #24833
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I would be delighted, but can't find her profile.

Just show her my posts.

I can schmooze with the best of them.
I think she just logged on once and posted nothing...said she didn't have time for nonsense, and one jackass fool in the house was plenty. You sure wouldn't want to mention Otis....or raccoons.
I don't mind it...she bought me the K1 and I'm lens shopping....I got no pride.....Otis says you don't need it anyhow.

Regards!

03-26-2016, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #24834
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
and I'm lens shopping..
You need a 31Ltd to go with that. (and a 77, and a 43, and.........................)
03-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #24835
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You need a 31Ltd to go with that. (and a 77, and a 43, and.........................)
I'm shopping for a fast 85mm for portraits. Hoping my trick for getting a new Pentax 70-200 will work too.....I need to go slow, I don't want Mrs Rupert to think I am losing my mind.

Regards!
03-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #24836
Pentaxian

I'm shopping for a fast 85mm for portraits. Hoping my trick for getting a new Pentax 70-200 will work too.....I need to go slow, I don't want Mrs Rupert to think I am losing my mind.

Regards!
God forbid that should happen.
03-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #24837
Pentaxian

I don't want Mrs Rupert to think I am losing my mind
You aren't already?

I've been mistaken all this time...
03-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #24838

I think she just logged on once and posted nothing...said she didn't have time for nonsense, and one jackass fool in the house was plenty. You sure wouldn't want to mention Otis....or raccoons.
I don't mind it...she bought me the K1 and I'm lens shopping....I got no pride.....Otis says you don't need it anyhow.

Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote

Regards!

Bah!

Gear talk!

More reasons to not buy a K3!

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-26-2016 at 02:07 PM.
03-26-2016, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #24839
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Yep, you guys wouldn't recognize me if I went loco. Someone needs some sanity round here....It's a burden, but I can carry the load. Thank goodness I have Otis to keep me on track!

Sorry about the gear talk....I blame it on Jim for suggesting those three lenses...otherwise I would never have brought up the gear talk.

Regards!
03-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #24840
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't want Mrs Rupert to think I am losing my mind.

Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Yeah, I wouldn't worry. I'm pretty sure she doesn't think you're losing your mind.

Sorry about the gear talk....I blame it on Jim for suggesting those three lenses...otherwise I would never have brought up the gear talk.

Regards!
My bad. Sorry for the :knightonhorse: